New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · IS on the 500mmf4

PaulCal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IS on the 500mmf4

What is the proper procedure to leave IS on or shut it off on this lens when mounted on a tripod and gimbal for panning shots of birds?

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:09 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IS on the 500mmf4

I leave it on when using my wimberley...

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IS on the 500mmf4

I leave it on Mode 1 for most tripod and monopod uses, but not for panning. I generally turn IS off for panning, unless I know the subject will track in a more-or-less constant horizontal or vertical direction (for which Mode 2 is used). Most of my panning shots with the 500/4L IS are handheld with no IS.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IS on the 500mmf4

As recommended in the pamphlet (too small to be a "handbook"), I leave it on mode 1.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IS on the 500mmf4

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/image_stabilisation.do

from page 3:

"With some of the earlier lenses, you need to switch the IS off when using a tripod. The lack of movement confuses the system and the image starts to jump around the viewfinder. However, using a tripod in high wind or with super telephoto lenses, often results in some camera movement, and the IS system can be invaluable. Later IS models are able to sense the use of a tripod and automatically disable the IS, if necessary."

Also note page 4 gives the amount of IS gain, model by model

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:13 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IS on the 500mmf4

jcolwell wrote:
I leave it on Mode 1 for most tripod and monopod uses, but not for panning. I generally turn IS off for panning, unless I know the subject will track in a more-or-less constant horizontal or vertical direction (for which Mode 2 is used). Most of my panning shots with the 500/4L IS are handheld with no IS.

+1

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IS on the 500mmf4

I only turn it on when handholding, which I do very little of. Always off on the tripod. My testing shows I get much better results with it off - YMMV.

Feb 16, 2012 at 08:48 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IS on the 500mmf4

IS on that lens actually *works* on a tripod - unlike the many lenses for which tripod sensing simply automatically prevents IS from operating without you having to disable it.

However, as jcolwell pointed out, it's not for diagonal panning even in mode 2 and that is what often happens when tracking birds in flight.

Therefore you may benefit from mode 1 for shots of static subjects but most likely want no IS for general panning. A fast shutter speed goes a long way towards eliminating the need for IS but it often comes at the expense of higher ISO and hence both more noise and less dynamic range.

I've had mixed results with my wimberley head and 600 f/4 IS. Unless I lock it down and let it go I seem to cause lots of vibration by holding the lens and camera whether or not I am panning, and then I find that higher shutter speeds are the better solution. Despite this, IS offers advantages prior to shooting - a more stable viewfinder image for manual focus and a bit more confidence, and probably improved AF (because the image seen by the AF system is also being stabilized).

- Alan

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.