Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Goldent Gate Shots

Recent photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. C&C welcome

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Goldent Gate Shots

Are you using magnified Live View to check focus? They seem on the soft side. Do they look like this on your monitor? Perhaps you are stopping down too much and getting some diffraction? With a WA lens and this distance you shouldn't need such a small aperture. It looks like your getting the exposure ok in the last two, but I would suggest some systematic experimentation to figure out your softness.
Mike K

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:55 PM
isebear
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Goldent Gate Shots

It was very windy and I did not have the tripod weighted. The long exposure time may have contributed to the softness as I did try to sharpen some.

Feb 14, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Goldent Gate Shots

Yes I was going to mention wind too. With telephoto focal length lenses you can actually see the wind vibrating your camera/lens at 10X Live View from the spot you shot at. What reduced the vibration for me was to take the lens hood off to reduce the area to the wind, lower the tripod with no leg extensions and sit on the ground upwind of your tripod to block the wind velocity. Adding weight would help too, but with the tripod as low as it will go thats not so easy. However, you were using quite short focal length lenses, so everything must have been shaking quite a lot for wind vibration to be a major contributor.
I still think your aperture was too small, and contributed to a long shutter speed and some diffraction softening. Again, good exposures from this Conzelman Rd turnout.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Goldent Gate Shots

Hey Barry,

I sure like the look of these. Are the originals soft?

I think #2 is my favorite.

Jim

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Goldent Gate Shots

I stop down extra all the time for the tighter sun star. I'm not a huge fan of this angle on the bridge. IMO the north tower is too obstructed with no real other benefit to the angle. The comp is really weird in #2. Tower too close to the edge of the frame. IMO the 3rd one is the strongest. It combines a nice comp with a nice exposure.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Goldent Gate Shots

Lovely views Barry. #2 is my fave here. Thanks for posting.
David

Feb 15, 2012 at 03:15 AM
isebear
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Goldent Gate Shots

I am embarassed that I never thought about lowering the tripod as mentioned. The path I was on was very busy however and it would have definitely obstructed the path. I also did not think about the live view because that could have helped.

Yes, the originals are soft. I actually sharpened them a bit. I am still learning and strive to get the really sharp, crisp photos that I see others posting.

This was my first attempt at photographing this bridge and the first time I have gone to the area where I photographed from. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to view the photos and provide input.

v/r

Barry

Feb 15, 2012 at 08:43 AM
ctlim
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Goldent Gate Shots

You might want too shoot your 50d using f8-11 instead! Nice shoots cheers!

Feb 15, 2012 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.