New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Matt Ward
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

So, I have a 7D, 20D with somewhere around 800-100k clicks and a 300D with about 2k clicks and a G2. I really would like to have one converted to IR. I am thinking that the 300D would be the body to convert, given the 20D mileage and the fact that I will not touch the 7D.

Given the above, does the 300D convert ok? Are there reasons not to use that body? Or should I just look for something like a 30D or a 40D used?

After the conversion, can one use an IR blocking filter to then take normal photos, or is the internal filter more specialized? The old mindset of one body with me can I use it for X?

I think that landscapes and particularly moderate close-ups of flora and such look incredible! Might also want to play with some portraits in IR.

Thanks Matt

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:19 AM
ragsn_old_iron
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

I would look at the 40D used because of live-view. I have been using a MaxMax converted 20D, and while it is a great camera, the variations in lenses make focus irritating sometimes. There are several types of conversions out there, I prefer the black&white and shoot in RAW. It seems many people have used lifepixel for color IR conversions, but I have no experience with this. I will be converting at least one 40D this year to the 850nm version for b&w IR.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Even cheaper than a 40D would be an xsi/450D

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:44 AM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

I think I am leaning toward b&w conversion, the color photos just do not look right. I was thinking about liveview maybe coming in handy. Not aware of MaxMax, will have to look into it.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:48 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Seeing what you intend to do, a full IR conversion might be the best option. In this case I would still try to convert a camera which has LiveView.

I am using my XT for IR photos, but the camera is not converted. I am placing a R72 cutoff IR filter on top of the lens instead. Good thing is that both the X and XT cameras have a fairly weak hot mirror IR cutoff filter in front of the sensor compared to newer DSLRs where this IR filter method does not work well enough due to stronger built in hot mirror filters. Disadvantage here are longer exposure times and a bit of try&error to get the focus right since this camera has no LiveView and you can't see through the R72 mm (the viewfinder is totally dark). This method works fine for landscapes, but is very challenging for portraits and close-ups.

The prices to fully convert an older X or XT camera are too expensive and not worth it IMO. It is the same or nearly the same amount for converting a better camera like the 40D for example which has LiveView.

Also make sure that you have suitable lenses for IR. Some lenses will give a hot spot in the center of the image which can't be easily removed in post-processing.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

I think the most popular converters in the states are life pixel and max max

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:50 AM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Is there a list of the affected lenses. I have the 17-35 L, 24-70 L, 80-200 L, 300/4 L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8 and 100 macro. I would envision using the 17-35, 24-70 and maybe 100 macro most on the body.

Matt

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:23 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Here are some good summaries:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/943179/0?keyword=x#8913758

http://dpanswers.com/content/irphoto_lenses.php

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM
greggn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Having converted both a 10D and a 5DII I would also strongly recommend converting a camera with Live View. The ability to do a 10x check of focus is an invaluable aid if your ultimate goal is printed images.

... and I'm a two-time customer of MaxMax. Their website is difficult, even frustrating, to navigate but their conversion work is first-rate.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

I have since found several lists... it seems that the 17-35/2.L is widely untested? Anyone have any experience with it or the 80-200/2.8 L?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Nops, sorry. I never used both of them which you mentioned. I can only say from my experience that the 17-40/4 works fine.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon body and IR conversion questions

Matt Ward wrote:
I have since found several lists... it seems that the 17-35/2.L is widely untested? Anyone have any experience with it or the 80-200/2.8 L?

cant say for certain but I think ive seen before that the 80-200L produces hot spots

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.