New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I sold a camera that has some stuck/hot pixels (d300s) without realizing it. This is because, while I keep my sensors clean (I do see dust bunnies), I never look for hot pixels as LR3 maps them out anyhow.

Now, as they show up at iso 400 (from what the buyer tells me), what is it best to do about this. Sell it with full disclosure (of course), and lower the price from $900 to…??, or send it to el segundo for repairs. I don't believe this one is under warranty, but it may be worth paying to have it done.

I don't see those pixels, but then again, I don't shoot long nighttime exposures either.

Thoughts one a good path to take? Thanks.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

At what shutter speeds do they appear? Fast shutter speeds or only slow ones?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

I don't know Ben. What difference does it make? (genuine question, not sarcasm)

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

My brand new D300s had 2 stuck pixels at moderate ISOs. Adobe Camera Raw got rid of them automatically. I haven't even tried to find them since my first shoot with the camera. I am pretty sure Nikon can have it mapped out but, in my opinion, that is a waste of time. Pretty sure you're always going to see them if you look hard enough. Especially at higher iso's and longer shutterspeeds. Mine showed up on the new D300s at about 1/60 iso 800ish.

I don't think that should effect the price at all.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

Thanks Zaltz.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

I think if you just put in the ad that it has a couple you will get buyers who realize it isn't really a problem. The exact settings on my brand new D300s were 1/100 sec, f/2, ISO 640.

It's just a complete non-problem, imo.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

dont worry about it...it's probably within spec.
half of us probably dont even realize we have some sort of abnormality with our equipment...
doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

DavidWEGS wrote:
I don't know Ben. What difference does it make? (genuine question, not sarcasm)

It is perfectly normal for stuck pixels with long exposures, but it would be considered abnormal to have stuck pixels at fast exposures. If the buyer used the camera for a 30 second exposure, then complained to you that there are stuck pixels --- they have unrealistic expectations because this would be considered perfectly normal. All cameras will produce stuck pixels with long exposures, especially when combined with higher ISO settings. If on the other hand the camera is producing stuck pixels at 1/100th sec, that would be considered abnormal.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:08 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

Thanks all.

Ben, I appreciate the answer. What does one do about it if the sensor is out of spec. Just advertise that way, or would it be worth sending it to Nikon in your opinion?

I am not overly concerned as we have been using this body for well over a year with out any notable stuck pixels, but would like to have it be the best it can be for anyone buying it.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

Hmm, I've never thought about this one before. I would follow the thoughts of Ben. If there are pixels that are literally 'stuck' regardless of exposure time or ISO. Or if there are pixels that are dead then I would likely think it appropriate to mention in the full interest of disclosure. If this is the case you could state that various software (Nikon and Adobe for instance) will automatically map out the pixels. Otherwise you could discount the selling price to take into account the cost of sending the camera to Nikon to have said stuck or dead pixels mapped out.

I probably wouldn't bother mentioning 'hot' pixels since they SHOULD only begin showing up during long exposures and/or at high ISO.

If you'd really like to ensure it'll be a non issue then I would send it off to Nikon to have the 'stuck' or 'dead' pixels mapped out prior to selling.

I guess it's something I'll have to consider as well if/when I sell my D300.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

Thank you for the help.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

I have just called APS for pricing on the pixel thing. The price is in the range of $115.00 to $145.00 to remap and correct the issue. I was told it is a relatively common thing and not too big a deal to remap.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM
ttoolan
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

I would sell the camera as-is with no reduction in price. If the buyer cares he should look elsewhere. It's not your problem.

Tom

Feb 10, 2012 at 04:42 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What to price a camera with stuck pixels

ttoolan wrote:
I would sell the camera as-is with no reduction in price. If the buyer cares he should look elsewhere. It's not your problem.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I did sell it without checking for this issue/non issue, but the buyer felt it was a no no and is returning it. I really don't mind, but just wanted the communities feedback about how to sell or fix this.

You have been very helpful, thank you.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.