New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Curious to know the thoughts of you fellow Nikonians on the new Olympus OM-D.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/531712/olympus-om-d-e-m5-hands-on-first-look-review.html

'Looks' like a nice camera (I'm referring to the physical look of the thing), but how do you guys think it will perform. I notice that it has come in at a significantly lower price point to the Fuji X-Pro1 and it uses the micro 4/3rds format so there's a wealth of glass available.

So do any of you have any experience with the 4/3rds format? How does it handle and what is the IQ like? Will any of you guys be picking up this handsome looking camera?

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

ct8282

I read thru the specs and I really like what I saw. I'm an old Olympus guy from way back in the film days. It looks very much like the old bodies. They were a class act, always striving for smaller cameras, seeking to the more advanced photographers. For myself, I have the V1, like it, assuming Nikon will continue developing that system. I already have my foot in both camps, (Nikon & Canon DSLR's) so unless I dump all my gear I'll just be an observer for now.

Gerard

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

I convinced myself to not to drool over anything with Bayer sensor technology.

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Nice try but not for me. My focus is now on D800 and if I'll look for something small definitely I'd go for Fuji X-Pro-1 or for Sony NEX-7. Period.

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:16 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Taoguy wrote:
ct8282

I read thru the specs and I really like what I saw. I'm an old Olympus guy from way back in the film days. It looks very much like the old bodies. They were a class act, always striving for smaller cameras, seeking to the more advanced photographers. For myself, I have the V1, like it, assuming Nikon will continue developing that system. I already have my foot in both camps, (Nikon & Canon DSLR's) so unless I dump all my gear I'll just be an observer for now.

Gerard

Thanks Gerard. At least the OM-D can boast exceptional AF performance unlike the Fuji. Will be interesting to see how the picture quality compares.

Tis a sexy looking camera that's for sure.

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:18 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

ct8282 wrote:
Curious to know the thoughts of you fellow Nikonians on the new Olympus OM-D.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/531712/olympus-om-d-e-m5-hands-on-first-look-review.html

'Looks' like a nice camera (I'm referring to the physical look of the thing), but how do you guys think it will perform. I notice that it has come in at a significantly lower price point to the Fuji X-Pro1 and it uses the micro 4/3rds format so there's a wealth of glass available.

So do any of you have any experience with the 4/3rds format? How does it handle and what is the IQ like? Will any of you guys be picking up this handsome looking camera?

My Panasonic G3 is superior in IQ to the Nikon D80 that I owned in the past. Obviously D80 is not the latest APS-C body but the point is that 2-3 years ago that body was considered very good and the current m43 is better than that. The sensor technology will obviously keep evolving and m43 will always trail the APS-C a bit and APS-C will always trail FF a bit but in my opinion the m43 at this point has more than adequate IQ. In terms of lenses the 20mm 1.7 also easily matches the Nikon 35mm 1.8 that I often used with my D80. It is a nice little system with many options in bodies and lenses right now. Obviously it is not a replacement of the DLSR system but a great companion system as long as you are OK with the fact that it will always remain 1/2 stop to 1-stop behind the latest APS-C sensor in terms of high-iso performance.

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:37 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Though I'm disappointed with the lack of built-in flash, overall it looks very attractive.
It would be really attractive if it had a multi-aspect sensor like in the GH-1/2 cameras (and my LX-5). There seems to be some confusion about exactly what sensor it has, but that will obviously be resolved soon.

I really like the sensor stablization - perfect for use with some of my MF Nikkor glass.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:38 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

I think it looks great. I decided to look into the CSC (compact system camera) stuff last year and was testing the Nikon V1, the Olympus E-P3 and the Panasonic GX1 and had on order the NEX-7, then Fuji announced their new X Pro1; however, having been playing around with the E-P3 and various Olympus and Panasonic/Leica glass I am convinced this is the compact system for me. Is it a D800, no way, not even a D700 and I never expected it to be, I have the E-M5 on order and can't wait to play with it. These things are awesome when you don't want to lug around your big/heavy pro gear. I can't wait to start shooting with the E-M5 and especially some of the new prime glass Oly is coming out with - the current 45mm (90mm) f/1.8 is phenomenal and they are coming out with a 75mm (150mm) f/1.8 and a 60mm (120mm) f/2.8 macro soon as well. If you want to shoot a bunch of MF primes, etc. then this may not be for you, but if you would like new technology in a small package with fantastic AF, this is one sweet system.

Cheers,

Bill

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:50 PM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Olympus...have they ever stood behind a system long term?

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:29 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

looks very good,,

I'm used an E3 for a few years with OLY's best glass and still believe that camera offer some of the best skin tones, several thousand photos a year and the camera served me well,, when the grand-kids become serious in their various sports the E3 had to go as it was not made for shooting fast sports with way to many OOF shots,, sold all and back to Nikon,,

some day I most likely will be looking for a small system and would certainly include OLY in the selection,,

Derry

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

thedruid wrote:
Olympus...have they ever stood behind a system long term?

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

I'm disappointed their miracle throw back camera is m4/3. Should have seen it coming. Personally I think it's homely looking.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:28 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Jammy Straub wrote:
I'm disappointed their miracle throw back camera is m4/3. Should have seen it coming. Personally I think it's homely looking.

Ditto

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

Seems reasonable to me. There's going to be more people with m4/3 lnses who want it than those with old OM lenses. Those last folks are pobably already got the lens on the end of a 5DII.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:06 PM
fldspringer

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

I just sold off more than $10k in Olympus stuff and moved to Nikon a few months ago. I also had the E-PL1 with the Panny 20mm f1.7 lens. Loved the lens, hated the body. Way to high a price to pay for a camera that reminded me of everything I hated about point and shoot.

With Olympus, be sure to take the hype with a grain of salt. Fast focus in comparison to what If they didn't deal with the after shot blackout, I'll pass. I kinda liked the E-5, but dumpped it when it seemed like they were dumping the third mount since Nikon's F-mount came into existance. The glass was good, the focus tracking was non-existant. How the new micro camera does, time will tell. I won't be buying until I have had a chance to try one thoroughly.

If I had to choose today, the lenses from Panasonic and a few from Oly are a big advantage to their system. Body wise I think I'd lean toward the Panny stuff. IQ wise, they are right in there as long as you have good light and don't jack up the ISO.

Greg

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

fldspringer wrote:
I just sold off more than $10k in Olympus stuff and moved to Nikon a few months ago. I also had the E-PL1 with the Panny 20mm f1.7 lens. Loved the lens, hated the body. Way to high a price to pay for a camera that reminded me of everything I hated about point and shoot.

With Olympus, be sure to take the hype with a grain of salt. Fast focus in comparison to what If they didn't deal with the after shot blackout, I'll pass. I kinda liked the E-5, but dumpped it when it seemed like they were dumping
...Show more

Have you tried any of the more recent olympus bodies? E-PL1 is a rather old body now. The current-gen olympus (and panasonic) bodies are very fast to focus and don't have a long after-shot blackout. The fast focus only applies to single-shot AF where these bodies are as fast as any DSLR out there, including the very high DSLRs. For tracking AF these bodies are of course no way near a decent DSLR. Similarly in terms of high-iso performance the current 16MP sensor is much better than the old 12MP one in e-pl1 etc.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM
fldspringer

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thoughts on Olympus OM-D

curious80 wrote:
[Greg[/quote

Have you tried any of the more recent olympus bodies? E-PL1 is a rather old body now. The current-gen olympus (and panasonic) bodies are very fast to focus and don't have a long after-shot blackout. The fast focus only applies to single-shot AF where these bodies are as fast as any DSLR out there, including the very high DSLRs. For tracking AF these bodies are of course no way near a decent DSLR. Similarly in terms of high-iso performance the current 16MP sensor is much better than the old 12MP one in e-pl1 etc.

Its all relative, No, my last dealings were the E-5 and E-PL1. I have decided that the concept was good, but not ready for prime time for me. Shooting in extreme cold with the EVF was less than ideal, focus precision was difficult as the point would grab other things that what was desired, and it was over priced for what it was. Those, of course, were my opinions. I simply washed out of that and decided to let the technology mature.

ISO 1250 with the E-PL1 was ok for me. (Example follows) I now shoot at ISO 12,800 regularly with the D3s so thats where I'm comming from.

ISO 1250 from E-PL1

http://www.spanielsport.com/photos/907603204_fvY3Z-XL.jpg

I'm not going to pass judgement on the new digital OM. I just am used to Oly hype and won't take that at face value. I've been through several generations of that hype and the true results have always fallen well short. I'm sure its a nice camera for some, but I'm not feeling the need yet. I trust Panasonic more than Oly at this point, but that's just me.

Greg

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.