Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon 1 system - more info

curious80 wrote:
Obviously you can take this idea further and go for one of the 30x zoom compact cameras which give you 800mm equivalent and 16MP

Only I have found the performance of those cameras to be dismal.

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:24 PM
fusiongt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon 1 system - more info

I own a 500mm f4 afs1 myself and love it but it stays at home in the comfort of its case 99% of the time lol. It's just not practical for me most of the time. Come surf season I may bring it on a boat with monopod but even then I think I rather pack lightly with my V1 70-200 with 1.4tc and hand hold it. Not having to lug the 500 f4 and monopod is so much more appealing to me now. So yea it's not a true 500mm when using the v1 but it gets the job done!

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:54 PM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Imagemaster wrote:
Only I have found the performance of those cameras to be dismal.

But thats exactly the point - as you go to smaller and smaller sensors you do get more and more compromise in quality. A "500mm equivalent" is not quite the same as 500mm on FF, otherwise everyone would be happy with a mega-zoom compact. V1 with its 2.7x is just another point in this quality/size tradeoff - better than tiny sensor compacts and worse than FF or APS-C. For you it might be the right enough balance, for others it might be just a bit too much compromise on quality. Some find the m43 to be the right balance, some find APS-C to be the right balance and some would not settle for anything less than FF. And then some are just happy with a mega-zoom because thats the only way they are every getting to 800mm

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Finally got out this morning looking for some exotic wildlife to test the V1 w/500/4.0 and the 1.4 tele-extender. 1st pic is a reference, shot with the 30-110 - 35mm = 297mm

The rest were shot w/500/4 x 1.4 = 1890mm. At first I thought some were quite soft but then I reminded my self it is 1890mm.

Other observations - temps were around 0 to 5 F this morning, better trials when it warms up.
One has to anticipate the subjects moves more than with a DSLR. My hit rate is lower than w/D3s however I don't have a 1900mm anything for that body.
EXIF data left intact.

Reference 297mm the rest of the photo's are to the left or below.

Tree to the left - not sure of species - My wife's bird feeders area

Same exotic creature on said feeder

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon 1 system - more info

More

Break time

Jays beneath feeder

Same area

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Last four

Crop of the above

I think 1890mm will work

Feb 11, 2012 at 05:43 PM
RoySussex
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon 1 system - more info

It's amusing to see that the light bulb has finally illuminated here at FM forums in respect of this system (and yes, I have seen the preceding thread). Somewhat after the rest of the internet photography world though... Although FM is certainly the first (and last) to designate the CX system as an honorary DSLR.
What's wrong with the "alternative" designation? Of course you can't mount either insanely expensive M-mount lenses on these cameras or even soft-focus glass from decommissioned Soviet submersibles. But I would have thought that the Alternative Gear forum is where discussion of this system belongs. Certainly for many people it's an excellent alternative to lugging around DSLR kits.
The CX format is going to be with us for a while.
Roy

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon 1 system - more info

RoySussex wrote:
But I would have thought that the Alternative Gear forum is where discussion of this system belongs.

I would think it belongs on both forums, since some DSLR users may wish to do comparisons. Also, since you can use DSLR lenses on the V1, this forum seems appropriate too.

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Thanks, for posting those images, Gerard.

Do you happen to own a 300 f4, and if so, could you post some shots with the bare 300, plus the 300 with the TC?

Tony

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon 1 system - more info

By the way, if you want to keep the squirrels off your bird feeders, string a thin gauge wire between two trees, then hang you feeders from that. Just place the feeders so that they are not within jumping distance for the squirrel.

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Thanks for the tip Tony, when its cold like this and my wife is gone I think the greys earn the seed as long as they serve themselves

I have a 300/however its of the Canon flavor. I do have the Nikon 70-300 which is a pretty good lens, the 200-400, 70-200/2.8 II that I will play with more. Today I'll try printing some V1 shots to see if how they look on paper. So far one of my favorite lens on the V1 is the 105 2.8 micro.

Right now you almost need to remember how manual or the first auto focus cameras worked, anticipate the subject
I'll post em when I get more. I really hope Nikon give a few updates to the system software.

Gerard

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Taoguy wrote:
I'll post em when I get more. I really hope Nikon give a few updates to the system software.

Gerard

Thanks. I think it won't be long before Nikon brings out a super-telephoto zoom for the V1.

It is also probable that Canon will bring out a competing system.

Tony

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon 1 system - more info

We win with competition between flavors

Gerard

Feb 11, 2012 at 06:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end