Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 1 system - more info

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-1-series-prototypes-shown-17472

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-1-series-presentation-and-questions-with-nikon-17475

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Interesting, thanks for the links

Rags

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:43 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Any clue as to the focal length of the super telephoto lenses?

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Rags Hef wrote:
Interesting, thanks for the links

Rags

You're welcome. Wouldn't it be nice if they brought out a 100-300 zoom? i.e. 270-810.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 1 system - more info

DGC1 wrote:
Any clue as to the focal length of the super telephoto lenses?

No, a Nikon secret for now.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:51 PM
tarheel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Anyone know if you want to change the metering from: spot to center weighted to matrix (full) on a Nikon V1 camera how difficult it is? That's the thing about P&S cameras (for most of them) that drives me crazy - going through five and six menu clicks to change the metering. I know the V1 is marketed as not being a P&S -
Thx

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:25 PM
fusiongt
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 1 system - more info

tarheel: Menu > Metering > Center Weight... 3 so clicks assuming you have it on the Metering menu before hand otherwise you'll have to click to get to it or scroll wheel to it (a little faster than clicking one at a time)

For the prototypes shown, holy crap that's a ton of 1 accessories. I can't wait

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 1 system - more info

I'm not a fan of using the internal menu for some of the adjustments however there is a limited amount of space. Regarding the lens, I have the three available 10mm, 10-30mm, and the 30-110 mm, and I'm impressed with the IQ. I have been comparing these to the use of the FT1 and 35mm lens, they come out very well. Especially the 10mm.

I'm knee deep in alligators on a project right now but hopefully I'll find some time to do a real comparison. As of now my favorites using the FT1 are the 105/2.8 micro (283mm/2.8 micro is sweet), 24-70/2.8. I find it a bit tough on the 200-400 or 500/4 as should your subject move, you can't see it once you hit the shutter for what seems like forever, but I use a D3s for my main body so the comparison isn't fair. I would prefer the photo not pop into the view finder unless I program it that way.

It already been said, I hope this is just the beginning for the V1 series.
A new macro and the LED lights might would be great.

Gerard

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:25 PM
fusiongt
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Totally agree on the 105 micro lens on it. It's VR really helps with the hand held ability and the focal length for a macro lens is unheard of. I've been bringing the V1 with 10mm lens attached and also bring along 105 micro or 70-200 VR2 lens for more serious shooting. It's compact size, completely silent shutter (if you choose it), is really fun to use.

I do hope they cut the limitations on the FT1 (single point focusing, AF-S only, etc) and give us all the abilities of the regular lenses. I know they can do it!

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Imagemaster wrote:
You're welcome. Wouldn't it be nice if they brought out a 100-300 zoom? i.e. 270-810.

Yup, to allow tracking

Rags

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 1 system - more info

I really need a wide angle lens, but all the rest is available withthe FT1 adapter, I particularly like the 35 1.8, 50 1.8 and 40 2.8 micro AFS lenses on the J1, and for the fun the long zooms. Only drawback, you cannot select the AF sensor when using the adaptor, only the central sensor is active.

Guy

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:44 AM
fusiongt
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 1 system - more info

The 10mm is kind of wide (27mm equivalent). Have you tried that Guy? I couldn't get any wider with my current FX lenses. Now I'm interested in the 35 1.8 DX lens... so cheap and would be nice and small on the V1 lens. I thought I would never buy another DX lens but the 35 1.8 and the 40 2.8 micro look pretty compelling =)

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:18 AM
tarheel
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Tony, thanks for keeping those interested up to date on the V1 offerings! I am on the fence about getting the V1 kit with the two lenses and until 2/25/12, B&H is offering $100. off on the 10 f2.8 if you buy the kit. It was not too many years ago we shot DX format Nikon (and other) cameras with less than 10MP - a lot less. Of course it's not just MP's but how well the sensor renders color and other things that go well beyond my understanding of the how and why it works like it does! Have any of you Nikon 1 owners printed 8X10s from shots taken with a CX format lens? Anything larger than 8X10? It makes no sense but with the high MPs of the twin D800s it makes 10MP seem small but I know that's not logical thinking. And these are VERY different cameras! I made some large prints from a Nikon D70 some years ago that were very nice. Realizing it's not just megapixels but the whole image process in the camera how are the Nikon 1 prints? (with CX lenses and not using the adapter for DX/FX lens use) Thx!

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 1 system - more info

You're welcome, Tarheel. I don't own the V1 and am hoping to see more images posted with it using Nikkor lenses of 200mm or more. As well, it would be nice to know how long it will be before Nikon releases some V1 telephoto lenses.

The 10MP may be just enough for those people that don't want DSLR gear because of price, weight, inconvenience, etc.

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 1 system - more info

It is probably time there was a special thread on FM for this system.

There is one here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1058&/nikon-1-system-talk-forum/

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:48 PM
fusiongt
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 1 system - more info

I have a few thoughts on the MP on it and the counter to the claim that 10mp is not enough. I feel 10mp is enough because of the simple fact you are getting 2.7 crop. Obviously for landscapes you don't want that crop, in which case your DSLR, but for everything else - portraits, wildlife, sports, etc the 2.7x crop makes it so you shoot your subject and crop it the way you want by zooming in/out. On the other hand, if you're on FX, you might not have the luxury.

For example, say there's a bird in water and you can't get any closer. Would you rather have 16-36 megapixels and shoot that bird with 200mm and then crop afterwards? Or would you rather have 540mm and 10 megapixels? I am never a fan of tight cropping in the post process, so I rather have the 540mm and 10 megapixels. It's probably debatable but that was one of the selling points to me for the V1. The FT1 makes it very compelling for those of us who already have good glass to work with and the additional 1-series lenses are just the cherry on top

Also, for bigger prints you usually don't look at it from an inch away. I print 17x22's from my D3 (12mp) and they look great. The pixels are just enough at 360dpi. If I was going to print a 17x22 with my V1 (10mp) I wouldn't be afraid to stretch the pixels a little to make it fit because you aren't going to be viewing it very close. And as for 8x10's... that should be no problem at all.

Feb 10, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Well said, Fusiongt.

There are those that will get photos with the V1 that they simply would not get otherwise. A V1 with a 300mm on it gives you a 810mm telephoto. Other than cropping from a shorter telephoto on a different body, how would you get that? Who wants to spend the money on a 500, 600, or 800mm lens, plus haul all that heavy gear around? Not me, and not a lot of other people. Convenient gear will get you better photos than more expensive and heavier gear that you leave at home most of the time.

As for size, I remember selling 4-foot by 6-foot prints made from 35mm slides, so it is the image that often matters more than the resolution that pixel-peepers are so concerned with.

Feb 10, 2012 at 07:45 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 1 system - more info

fusiongt wrote:
The 10mm is kind of wide (27mm equivalent). Have you tried that Guy? I couldn't get any wider with my current FX lenses. Now I'm interested in the 35 1.8 DX lens... so cheap and would be nice and small on the V1 lens. I thought I would never buy another DX lens but the 35 1.8 and the 40 2.8 micro look pretty compelling =)

Well, in fact I was thinking of something like a full frame 17mm which would be something between a 6 and 7 mm on the Nikon One. I don't even know if this is optically doable. I already have the 10-30mm zoom but I don't find it wide enough...
something like a 16-35 FX would be wonderful... a 6-13mm zoom

Guy

Feb 10, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 1 system - more info

Some links to V1 images:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1811304@N22/discuss/72157629231009299/

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=419&topic_id=897&mesg_id=899

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/macros-close-ups/1044170-moth-catapillar-feet-nik-v1-tamron-90-sp-tubes.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1058&message=40562084&changemode=1

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-11988-12007

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/1_v1

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:30 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 1 system - more info

fusiongt wrote:
I have a few thoughts on the MP on it and the counter to the claim that 10mp is not enough. I feel 10mp is enough because of the simple fact you are getting 2.7 crop. Obviously for landscapes you don't want that crop, in which case your DSLR, but for everything else - portraits, wildlife, sports, etc the 2.7x crop makes it so you shoot your subject and crop it the way you want by zooming in/out. On the other hand, if you're on FX, you might not have the luxury.

For example, say there's a bird in water and
...Show more

Obviously you can take this idea further and go for one of the 30x zoom compact cameras which give you 800mm equivalent and 16MP

Well I actually kind of agree to what you are saying as long as we keep in mind that 500mm equivalent on V1 is not quite the same as putting 500mm on FF. Of course I neither have the budget nor desire to own a 500mm on FF so for someone like me the "500mm effective" is the best that I am ever going to get, which is essentially what you are saying as well.

My ideal mirrorless wold actually be a FF mirrorless with support for 2-3 crop modes. Due to the live-view natures of these cameras the EVF/LCD will always be able to show the exact framing for that crop level - giving you the wide as well as "effective telephoto" options.

Feb 10, 2012 at 08:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password