New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Testing the 16-35mm on an APS-C Sensor

ardvorak
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Testing the 16-35mm on an APS-C Sensor

I've run searches, but have come up empty-handed. I am curious to see what others have done in their upgrade paths. I am currently a happy 7D shooter, but plan on picking up a 5D II in the next year or so. I am also looking forward to picking up a 16-35mm L II, but I'm not sure whether I should wait until after I have a FF on which to test it? My concern is that I pick it up this spring, am pleased with its performance on the cropped sensor--only to discover that it is a "bad copy" and too soft at the FF edges after I pick up the 5D II and long after I could return/exchange.

Thoughts?

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Testing the 16-35mm on an APS-C Sensor

Well if edge performance is in question then yes of course you need to test it on a format that uses the edges.

The thing is with wider lenses on crop and then FF you are getting a totally different lens. What was a standard wide zoom on a 1.6 crop changes character completely on FF

I never subscribe to the 'oh I'm going ff eventually so I'll get a ff lens now' point of view.
Get what works for you now . You won't loose much in future come upgrade time.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:07 PM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Testing the 16-35mm on an APS-C Sensor

Basically, if your 16-35L II copy isn't equally dismal in all four corners, you have a bad copy.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Testing the 16-35mm on an APS-C Sensor

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I never subscribe to the 'oh I'm going ff eventually so I'll get a ff lens now' point of view.
Get what works for you now . You won't loose much in future come upgrade time.

Yup, What Ian said............Life is too short to play "what-if" and "in the futures" games. If you're gonna go full frame, go now, otherwise, get a lens that works best for the crop sensor, i.e. the 17-55 F2.8. Now THAT'S a killer lens!

Jo

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:14 PM
ardvorak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Testing the 16-35mm on an APS-C Sensor

Fair points across the board. Thanks for the suggestions!

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.