New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 35-350 all round lens

adrianb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35-350 all round lens

What I'm about to say might sound stupid..

I need a walk around lens as I find myself very frustrated with walking around with the primes.
I don't want to carry a bag full of 3 lenses.... I just want a do it all...

I have a 24L II, 50 1.4 and 135L..... if I had a 35L I'd consider that the best walk around lens....but I don't ...and I'm not selling anything I currently have just to get it..

I've seen a 35-350 at a real low price (about 900 $).

What are your opinions on these lens? I'll be using it on a 5D II.

I know the 28-300 IS is a better performer...and it would be my pick as well...but is much expensive..

I don't care about 35-350's weight... all I care is AF and overall IQ

Thanks

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35-350 all round lens

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the 35-350L I bought a little while ago (after exhaustively reading reviews, forum entries, and viewing samples). It's a huge lens, and not for those with a weak back. But considering all the lenses it replaces, it is very light weight. I found image quality to be excellent -- far better than aftermarket brands -- and deserving the "L" designation. Color rendition is outstanding. AF is very good and accurate, but not quite as fast as the more modern USM, but not slow like the earliest Canon EF lenses. A terrific bargain at around $1000.

I liked it enough that I upgraded to the 28-300L to get the IS and wider 28mm coverage. The 35mm was just too long for me to use it for event coverage with full frame, but the 28 will be fine.

There is an older 35-350 thread here that I recently added a lot of images and commentary to.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:19 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35-350 all round lens

thanks Gunzorro. can you point me to that thread (I'm lazy & retarded :P )

Also... I have a good setup for events now (24, 50, 135 & 580 EX II).

I'm thinking of selling the 50 and the flash and add some $ to get this lens...

When I would have an event, I can use a friend's 430 ex...

I was just curious about the IQ on the 35-350.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35-350 all round lens

I have a 24L II, 50 1.4 and 135L..... if I had a 35L I'd consider that the best walk around lens....but I don't ...and I'm not selling anything I currently have just to get it..

To cover your current range, how about the 24-105L IS?

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:26 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35-350 all round lens

Scroll down and read MY review here...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=15&sort=7&cat=27&page=2

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35-350 all round lens

Here you go, Adrian:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/986657/0?keyword=35-350#9361868

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:27 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35-350 all round lens

Fred Miranda wrote:
To cover your current range, how about the 24-105L IS?

Fred,

24-105 is a good lens....but it's not that allround for my taste....

I'm thinking more of a 28-300 L, 35-350L, 70-300 L (that sort of lens)...

I know that IQ wise probably 24-105 is better than these ....

If I'd go in a trip somewhere I really wanna have my focal lengths covered...
As much as I like primes...it's a PAINNNNN to change them...especially when you're on the street and you see something that requires ANYTHING but the focal length which you have on the lens at the time.. (you know the feeling..)

thanks trenchmonkey and gunzorro

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35-350 all round lens

I seriously doubt the 24-105 has better IQ than either of these superzooms, especially in the same focal range. The 24-105 gains some extra WA room, more compact size, and the IS over the 35-350. I'd say the two most useful lenses for all-around would be the 24-105 for limited focal range and ease of travel, and the 28-300 for well-lit everything (does well with flash too!). That's not to say that the 35-350 isn't a worthy lens, if you do as trenchmonkey says and keep the shutter speed up (as I did in those people shots in the woody area). When you don't have IS, you have to use your old-school tech.

I used these superzooms primarily on 1D series bodies, and the inertia from the combined weight helps stabilize even without IS -- as long as you don't suffer muscle fatigue trembling.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:46 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35-350 all round lens

I find the 28-300L on a 7D is a great "do almost everything" lens, and any IQ shortcomings of the lens due to the massive zoom range can be easily cleaned up in post-processing.

For vacations, and for trips where I simply have no idea what I'll need, it's great to stick the 28-300L on, put the camera in a holster bag, and be on my way.

And since you'll be using it on a 5DII, you avoid the fact that it's not very wide on a crop body, which is the only issue for me at times (but not very often).

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:20 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35-350 all round lens

I think I'm being stupid....

I believe that the 35-350 it's just for the hobby right now....and it's a hobby I can't afford...

It's redundant to have the 24,50,135 AND the 35-350....

If I think it through I better get a 2nd body like the 1D II as a 2nd body (since i'm doing events,weddings)...

I was thinking at this option for a while now...feeling the need for a 2nd body since I'm sick & tired of swapping 3 lenses on one body and missing shots etc..

I'm struggling between 5Dc and 1D II

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:18 PM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 35-350 all round lens

A second body is one option but really the best approach is having a mixture of zooms and primes, that way you have the best of both worlds. I guess if your always using the primes wide open then no zoom is going to give you F1.4 but if your stopped down a lot for more general use the difference between the zooms & primes is very very small indeed and thats where i think the flexibility of a zoom wins. 5D + 24-105 really is a great combo and then only if you need something faster do you have to switch lens. Even for events, wedding i would have one body with a zoom on it and the other with a prime on it. But whatever works for you !.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 35-350 all round lens

dmcharg wrote:
A second body is one option but really the best approach is having a mixture of zooms and primes, that way you have the best of both worlds. I guess if your always using the primes wide open then no zoom is going to give you F1.4 but if your stopped down a lot for more general use the difference between the zooms & primes is very very small indeed and thats where i think the flexibility of a zoom wins. 5D + 24-105 really is a great combo and then only if you need something faster do you have
...Show more

Yeah, you're probably right...but I prefer to narrow my FL options and the number of lenses.
I hate owning many lenses because I never know which one to pick up.

Having 3 lenses is enough for me (If I had two bodies).

To me the perfect combo would probably be the 24L II, 50L, 85L and 100-400 and two bodies and that's it

No 24-70, no 17-40/16-35 / 70 200 etc

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 35-350 all round lens

Adrian -- Your perfect combo of lenses is going to run over $7000! Granted those are faster, but for 95% of all shooting at smaller apertures a 35-350 and 16-35 would cover everything you'd ever need (especially on two bodies!) for around $4000. That's the attraction of the ultra-range zooms: coverage and price. The sacrifice is super-fast apertures. I certainly see your point though, if you are determined to get those super fast primes, and shoot them wide open (or nearly so), no zoom lens can compete with f/1.2-2.0, with apertures of 2.8-5.6.

Seems like you are figuring out what your actual needs are -- that's a big step forward!

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 35-350 all round lens

Gunzorro I hate myself for being a snob sometimes and I know just by admitting it and not doing anything....is not good enough..

For what I do ...probably 24-70 2.8L + 50 1.4 + flash would suffice......but I like to shoot at available light, at fast apertures (for both the bokeh, subject isolation and also to complement for the lack of light)...

To me, as a photographer, if somebody would ask me what tool I would like, I would say a fast & accurate body, high clean ISO and 16mp tops,weather sealed (and perhaps dual card slot). I don't care about high rate of fps (4 fps is decent enough), nor do I care about high resolution (such as 21,36,45 megapixels).

Of course, besides being a snob, I can actually TELL the difference in these lenses that I own now..

Surely, 24-70 was a wonderful lens,but the 24L II and 135L are in a league of their own..in terms of sharpness,contrast,color rendition etc...

Being used to soft images, I'm amazed at the performance of these two lenses.. Of course I try to always educate myself that photography isn't about perfect sharpness and colors...and I don't want to fall in the same foul play that others find themselves.

I also try to justify to myself that I invested all this money in these lenses and body not just to make money (out of photography) but also because I am passionate about photography. Because, that was the main reason why i bought my first camera, to enjoy & learn photography, not to make cheap money doing cheap events.....

I will agree that I would be an idiot to buy any other lenses until I earn some money by using these....

What I will try to acquire, yet....is a nother body because I cannot take it anymore with switching lenses...and I ain't sellin' the primes just to get back to zoom(s).

Others would say that a perfect combo for events would be 2 bodies and 24-70 II + 70-200 2.8 II.
That's true, in terms of versatility,you simply cannot beat that.. (and acutally in terms of optic, they're very close to fast primes)...but that's where the similarities end..

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 35-350 all round lens

Adrian -- I'm not really trying to criticise your approach. I will say that the 35-350 is almost the exact opposite approach, meaning slower and generally "sharper'.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:40 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 35-350 all round lens

Gunzorro i perfectly understood what you were saying.....and also appreciate the feedback I didn't say that you were criticising. Especially that you were RIGHT

But let's face it, how many gear related decisions do we take with our brain ?

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:45 PM
irispatch
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 35-350 all round lens

It is a wonderful lens. But..... just make sure you insure it fully because if it breaks getting it repaired can be hard. Depends upon what breaks Canon no longer services it.

Feb 11, 2012 at 03:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.