Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

MicHoHo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

It is the price of the MB-D12.

MSRP $616? Gouging the price for accessories has raised 300%. MB-D10 for the D700 was only $250... how does it justify three times the price?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Power-Packs/27040/MB-D12-Multi-Power-Battery-Pack.html

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

Buy the Phottix grip that is sure to come out.

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:06 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

MicHoHo wrote:
It is the price of the MB-D12.

MSRP $616? Gouging the price for accessories has raised 300%. MB-D10 for the D700 was only $250... how does it justify three times the price?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Power-Packs/27040/MB-D12-Multi-Power-Battery-Pack.html

Because they can

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

Zaitz wrote:
Buy the Phottix grip that is sure to come out.

I love the smell of burning $3000 electronics

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:54 AM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

Jammy Straub wrote:

Whatever.. I have used at least half a dozen third party grips on various Nikon and Canon cameras, and all were indistinguishable from the OEM item, at a fraction of the cost.

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:58 AM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

Jammy Straub wrote:

Whatever.. I have used at least half a dozen third party grips on various Nikon and Canon cameras, and all were indistinguishable from the OEM item, at a fraction of the cost.

'Because they can' is the only real reason. You think the new grip costs a penny more to manufacture than the last-gen?

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

$449 at Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/INKMBD12.html

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

adamo99 wrote:

'Because they can' is the only real reason. You think the new grip costs a penny more to manufacture than the last-gen?

We've had more than a couple of reports on this board over the years of Zeikos grips frying bodies. Doesn't mean it happens to everyone.

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

I think there was an issue for the D700 for whatever reason. It worked ok on my D300s..... until it wouldn't come off. The wheel would just spin with no contact to the screw. So I had to use a small screw driver and get it in there and hammer it a quarter of a turn at a time until it was off. Then I remembered...why do I want a vertical grip? Battery was the nicest thing about it for sure.

Feb 09, 2012 at 01:15 AM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

To the OP, the price of the grip you posted is MSRP. I preordered one at Adorama for $449.00.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:34 AM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · It is not the price of the D800 that scares me...

The genuine Nikon grips are more expensive for a number of reasons - the newer ones of late have been made from magnesium alloy, the same as the camera bodies. Why would you put a flimsy plastic grip on a rugged pro/semi-pro camera body? Nikon also had to design them from scratch, which means lots of trial and error, prototyping and testing - incurring costs that have to be recovered from the final product. Not every camera buyer wants a grip, so there are much fewer products to off-set the design, tooling and set-up costs.

The knock-off copy manufacturers, buy a Nikon grip and reverse-engineer it. The really hard work has already been done by then. And then we have the relative costs of die-casting magnesium alloy vs moulding plastic.

In a nutshell, you get you what you pay for. I'm sticking with Nikon.....

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:31 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.