Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · No D400...

nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · No D400...

I'm confident it will be the little D4 again.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:35 PM
james balboni

p.2 #2 · No D400...

on the sidelines till the D-400 comes out or a great deal on a D3!!! I want the faster frame rate!! or a 24- 70 mm 2.8 until i figure out what will be best for my needs. I have the 300 and 7000 with no grips.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · No D400...

Nikon needs camera to compete with Sony alpha digital that has cropped sensor and 24MP for about $1400. The D400 should be just that for little less and with the same number of MPixels. That'd be great.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:10 AM
MP79
• •
p.2 #4 · No D400...

Why no D400 yet? Well, you might have heard about the earthquake and the flood that kept Nikon a little busy as of late.

Just because they have had to prioritize and therefore possibly delay certain releases does not mean that they have in any way abandoned their original plans such as those for a D300s replacement.

There will be a D400 or similar. Count on it.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:35 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · No D400...

nikt wrote:

Very well may be. We may never see another DX pro build body like the D300.

I could see a $2 - 2.5K D400 with the D4's sensor, slower frame rates and CF SD card slots.

The people clamoring for a replacement for the D300s are generally wildlife shooters and they make up a small minority of Nikon's sales. Those still using 17-55mm f/2.8 for pro work might be left in the proverbial cold as Nikon pushes for pro's to migrate to FX.

While the D7000 isn't a D300s in terms of AF or build, it's no slouch and Nikon may feel no need for a higher level DX body.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #6 · No D400...

I was a first adopter of the d300 and have always enjoyed it. I'll be a first adopter on the d400 when it comes out, whenever they get around to it. I don't really need more than what my d300 gives me, but time marches on and I'll take what they give.

My d300 has been bagged with a d700 for several years now. Dunno how I could have better, at the price I am willing to pay. Sure, I'd like to have a d3s or even d4, but being retired, I don't *need* anything more than what I have. Truthfully, I would be happy just to replace either body with a newer version of the same. Both are simply awesome cameras, once you learn how to best utilize them. I'm not even tempted by the d7000, even though it's supposed to be a very nice camera. So, if I break the d300, I'll buy a d300s and not be mad. Same with the d700, although I have ordered a d800. I wouldn't want to be without the high ISO capability of the d700.

I realize that I'm in a little different position than a lot of folks wanting a new d400. But, I'm not convinced that the d300s is really such a bad deal today, for anyone wanting high performance DX at a good price. I'm not a video guy, so maybe I'm way off base for those folks wanting both high performance DX *and* video.

Yes, the d800 does have DX mode, but that's not going to replace the TOL DX camera. It's too expensive and too slow to replace what a d400 will do.

Regardless, I'm firmly in the camp with those that believe that Nikon will have a new TOL DX camera. I suspect that it will best the d7000 in most every aspect except price. So, hang in there guys, it's a coming!

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:05 AM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.2 #7 · No D400...

Jammy Straub wrote:
Very well may be. We may never see another DX pro build body like the D300.

I could see a $2 - 2.5K D400 with the D4's sensor, slower frame rates and CF SD card slots.

The people clamoring for a replacement for the D300s are generally wildlife shooters and they make up a small minority of Nikon's sales. Those still using 17-55mm f/2.8 for pro work might be left in the proverbial cold as Nikon pushes for pro's to migrate to FX.

While the D7000 isn't a D300s in terms of AF or build, it's no slouch and Nikon may feel
...Show more

The folks clamoring for a 300s replacement include sport photogs. The D7000 is no 300s even with better IQ (had one , sent it back). These folks need high fps & reach & the files don't have to be 36mp (18-24 would be fine) with good iso.

In addition, they need a strong chassis to hold heavy glass and a large motor to focus fast (it's not in the 7000)

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:13 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #8 · No D400...

What I can see happening is Nikon using the D400 name to fill in what the D700 was to a lot of people, so you're looking at a mini-D4 and the end of the semi-confusing Dxxx being both DX/FX @ around $2.5K

Then the D7100 becoming the D300S replacement by gaining the full pro features. I would hate it because that means I am waiting longer but whatever.

Then the D5200 and D3200 and move up in the line and the V1 can take the low end, entry level space.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · No D400...

Rags Hef wrote:
The folks clamoring for a 300s replacement include sport photogs. The D7000 is no 300s even with better IQ (had one , sent it back). These folks need high fps & reach & the files don't have to be 36mp (18-24 would be fine) with good iso.

In addition, they need a strong chassis to hold heavy glass and a large motor to focus fast (it's not in the 7000)

Woops! Forgot sports photogs Though really I suspect many of them would be happy with an FX body that had high FPS in DX mode and enough pixel density to make DX useful.

As far as focus motors, I've not seen many sports photogs using AF-D lenses these days... Suppose there have to be some though.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:35 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.2 #10 · No D400...

pdp123 wrote:
I think Nikon will not be producing a D400.
The D800 has a resolution close to matching the D7000 with it's DX mode. So why would they produce the D400? I believe this is one of the reasons they upped the pixel count to where it is for the D800. It's basically two cameras in one for them.

Thoughts?

Paul

I think it's time to change your medication

There will by a D400 so just relax. Probably 24MP (if the D800 is any guide), 8fps, improved AF and high ISO at least as good as the D7000. D400 @ $2000 is an affordable sweet spot for many serious amateurs. D7000 doesn't quite cut the mustard in a few areas and there's certainly a big price gap between the D7000 & D800 that needs to be filled.

The D300/s has been a big seller for Nikon and was a game changer in terms of crop body performance and feature set.

Cheers
Leigh

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:58 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #11 · No D400...

Baywing wrote:
No, there will be a successor to the D300s. It's too large a price hole in the line-up for them not to fill. The Thailand floods threw off the time-line. I'm expecting to hear an announcement in either late March or April, delivery in the early summer.

Exactly. The D300 sold well. A D400 would be cheap to build since they already have engineered all the pieces--AF module, sensor, pop-up flash, etc. Might even use the chasis from the D800, you never know. It would be a very profitable camera for them to make. Most importantly, that ~$1,500 price point is very hot and they need something there to be competitive with Canon.

Kent in SD

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:03 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #12 · No D400...

nikt wrote:

Is that a troll post or are you serious?

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:31 AM
pdp123
• •
p.2 #13 · No D400...

Oh, I'm relaxed. At first blush it seemed to make sense that maybe Nikon may drop that part of the line since the D800 resolution in crop mode came close to matching the D7000. Like Jammy I hadn't thought about sports shooters (or it being 24MP which would fill a gap). Nikon has kind of turned the "normal" model on it's head a bit with the D800 in the sense that they practically cut off at the knees their own premier D3X with this camera. Which I believe is smart since you want to hit that mark before someone else does.

Paul

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:22 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #14 · No D400...

I predict Nikon will release the D400 with new new Sony 24mp crop sensor to compete with the 7D and its successor.

Feb 09, 2012 at 07:51 AM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.2 #15 · No D400...

Jammy Straub wrote:
Woops! Forgot sports photogs Though really I suspect many of them would be happy with an FX body that had high FPS in DX mode and enough pixel density to make DX useful.

As far as focus motors, I've not seen many sports photogs using AF-D lenses these days... Suppose there have to be some though.

I haven't used DX mode in my D700. I'm not crazy about the 95% viewfinder & when you make it even smaller by the DX viewfinder crop; I can't see my subject very well. I get 7fps with my MB10 on the 700.

Rags

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password