Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              22      
       24       end

Archive 2012 · New Olympus OM-D announced

ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.23 #1 · p.23 #1 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Bifurcator wrote:
Should it be producing that much pattern noise at ISO 12800 and 25600? Random noise I would expect but lines like that... Gerrr...

The 5D Mark II was plagued by this anomaly also. Surprised they didn't fix that.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Ataboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.23 #2 · p.23 #2 · New Olympus OM-D announced

curious80 wrote:
As far as I can see all the objects which have finer details are outside the plane of focus in the ISO1600 shot from 5D. The E-M5 shot on the other hand has more of the scene falling within the DOF. So it is hard to compare the detail here.

Maybe, but if you look at the results from 5D at ISO 100, you'll see lots of detail (e.g. surface texture on the green bag on the right side). By ISO 1600 most of these detail is gone.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:42 PM
you2
• • •
p.23 #3 · p.23 #3 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Is it my imagination or is the 1600 ISO image of the E-M5 quite clean with good details? I'm not so much into comparing with other cameras; but from a practical perspective if the E-M5 can produce very detailed images at ISO 1600 I would be quite happy.
-
Btw does anyone know if the 12-50 kit lens has reasonable image quality - esp at the long end (where I would worry that difraction on a 16MP sensor is already visible).

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.23 #4 · p.23 #4 · New Olympus OM-D announced

I also find the ISO 1600 shot clean-looking. Just the tiniest bit of smudging. Quite a good performance from an MFT sensor.

Mar 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.23 #5 · p.23 #5 · New Olympus OM-D announced

5D3 is better but E-M5 is more than good enough, at least for me.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.23 #6 · p.23 #6 · New Olympus OM-D announced

I'm happy enough with what I have seen this far from the OM-D. My pre-order stays.
I won't spend much time contemplating in-camera JPGs though. Some banding at at ISO 12.000+ and a 4/3 sensor doesn't upset me either.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.23 #7 · p.23 #7 · New Olympus OM-D announced

ChrisDM wrote:
The 5D Mark II was plagued by this anomaly also. Surprised they didn't fix that.

It /can/ be addressed in firmware in some cases tho. The early Panasonic 4/3 cameras had it really bad - visible at ISO800 and terrible by 1600. Two firmware updates later and it's barely visible at 1600 and the 3200 is cleaner than the 1600 was originally. It's still there tho. :-/ Well, either that or I've just intuitively learned to avoid it - which could also be I suppose.

And also another confirmation that the OM-D is showing better than usual detail in it's ISO 1600 sample. Tho I have to say it: A few samples from only one source (especially DPR!!!!) doesn't mean anything. Nothing. Only something to hang a hope on! Now if I see 3 or 4 reviewers showing such a comparative analysis from the actual release model - yeah, then there's something to talk about.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.23 #8 · p.23 #8 · New Olympus OM-D announced

For USA and Canada, we now have a rebate form for the OM-D EM-5. The rebate allows you to purchase the E-M5 and also one of three accessories:

1. FL-300R wireless flash up to $169.99
  2. MMF-3 4/3 lens adapter up to $179.99
  3. MF-2 OM Lens Adapter up to $169.99

Take note that the items must be purchased betweem 04/01 and 05/31.

I pre-ordered my E-M5 right away on Amazon.com and I'm hoping I don't get it "before" 04/01 now because I'd like to get one of these. What I really wish they offered was a free HLD-6 battery holder

I suppose this is Oly's way of rewarding early adopters, I just hope I'm not too early and that there wasn't so much demand that I'm too late

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.23 #9 · p.23 #9 · New Olympus OM-D announced

wjmeyer wrote:
What I really wish they offered was a free HLD-6 battery holder

+1

Why should only UK residents have it?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.23 #10 · p.23 #10 · New Olympus OM-D announced

I think our UK friends are paying more for the equipment to start with but I'm not certain

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.23 #11 · p.23 #11 · New Olympus OM-D announced

They are, but sometimes there are reasons why you'd want to buy local even if the price is higher e.g. knowing a particular store which you are getting good service, several payments in CC and local warranty.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM
alanwilder

p.23 #12 · p.23 #12 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Has anyone tried the 3" GGS screen protector on this camera yet? I recently purchased an EM-5 and have always liked the GGS products but I don't know if it disables the touch screen option.

Jun 27, 2012 at 05:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.23 #13 · p.23 #13 · New Olympus OM-D announced

alanwilder wrote:
Has anyone tried the 3" GGS screen protector on this camera yet? I recently purchased an EM-5 and have always liked the GGS products but I don't know if it disables the touch screen option.

Most have been ordering this one I think. It works well for me and doesn't interfere with the touch screen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261011128232

Jun 27, 2012 at 05:37 PM
alanwilder

p.23 #14 · p.23 #14 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Thanks Snapsy!

Jun 27, 2012 at 06:32 PM
you2
• • •
p.23 #15 · p.23 #15 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Has anyone tried jm's grip ? If so any comments ?
-
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/commercial-vendor-sales-services/38229-oly-omd-grip.html

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:38 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.23 #16 · p.23 #16 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Hmm if it was one solid block with more contours and a matching finish I would e more into it. I think he could pick up some design cues from the iPhone alum case makers with their cool way of doing hex screws

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:49 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.23 #17 · p.23 #17 · New Olympus OM-D announced

you2 wrote:
-
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/commercial-vendor-sales-services/38229-oly-omd-grip.html

For me, the best thing about what made the factory grip so comfortable was that it had its own shutter release button.

Being able to have my index finger moved forward, with the rest of my fingers and angled down when gripping the camera is just so much more ergonomic. This is what makes the Sony NEX7 so comfortable to hold and shoot as well, especially compared to something like a NEXc3. Its the same for most any DSLR these days, the shutter is forward and angled so it falls better under finger.

Having a forward grip, but still requiring you to bend your finger back to shutter on the top plate of the camera just doesn't make any sense to me really.

To each his own though and certainly is good to have options on the market.

Jul 12, 2012 at 03:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.23 #18 · p.23 #18 · New Olympus OM-D announced

The grip is so ugly it kills the beautiful lines of the OM-D. If you must have something cheaper, wait for the knock-off grip to surface on eBay.

you2 wrote:
-

Jul 12, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.23 #19 · p.23 #19 · New Olympus OM-D announced

you2 wrote:
-

I really like the design. When I'll buy the M5 I'll surely get the combo grip.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM
you2
• • •
p.23 #20 · p.23 #20 · New Olympus OM-D announced

I'm having an issue - images with exposure over 1/2000 are often (but not always) turning out severely under exposed or black. At first Ithought it might be a media issue but then I reviewed images from an older memory card and it had the same issue (only images at high shutter speed are having an issue). Has anyone else experienced a similar issue ?
--
Here is an example of three images side by side with the 45 (exif data preserved)

Edited on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2012 at 07:43 PM
       24       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

24       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password