Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

MikeNakhla
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

Anybody have previous experience with new gear preordered from Adorama or B&H?

I imagine their supplies will be similar. Preorders became available late last night - ordered mine about 4 hours ago. Is it likely thatI'll be part of that first batch to get the D800 or will mine probably be backordered? Just curious as I've never preordered a new item from either site and looking for other viewpoints or experiences

Cheers
Mike

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:35 PM
pookipichu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

Was bumped off Amazon's preorder list, did this happen to anyone else?

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:49 PM
MikeNakhla
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

Nikon Rumors just posted saying that Amazon has sold out of both the D800 and D800E, which probably coincides with your order being bumped off

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:05 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

I ordered from both B&H and Amazon around 4:30am eastern time. I think both sites were already taking orders for about 4 hours at that time. I'm really hoping I'm not too far down on the list. I added my name to a local camera shop's wait list just in case.

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 08:10 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:06 PM
MikeNakhla
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

Strange, that's around when I ordered as well haha

I'd like to hope that they'd do the same as amazon and simply stop pre-orders, but I'm not sure if that's how they do things with preorders

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:08 PM
mikesrc
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

I was bumped from Amazon. I did get on Adorama's list. I'm also on my local dealers list at #1. Will have to pay tax but will get an early one!!!! YEEEEEHaaaaa

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:13 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

I've been through this a few times with Canon and Kodak products (14n.) Never with Nikon.

B&H seemed to get regular shipments from Canon, maybe 3x per week. They would fulfill them in order. They always seemed to be one of the better supplied and better managed of the pre-order lists.

I remember being really pissed and really frustrated at other merchants. They pre-chared the credit card, they couldn't even tell you where on the list you were, delivery dates kept getting pushed back, other dealers were shipping and they kept promising, and promising, and promising dates, and we got nothing, etc.

I pre-ordered one camera at 3 different places - I forget where. I know I have pre-ordered at Adorama and Amazon. I'll have to look at old purchase history.

This time I just pre-ordered at B&H. About noon today.

I ordered the 800E. I understand it is slated for later delivery. If the 800 is running behind, I imagine they might push the 800E back a bit.

Canon has learned a lot about ramping up production and fullfilling early orders. Hopefully Nikon will also have their act together?

I noticed that some of the sample pictures are dated in September. So they should have a pretty good planning and manufacturing lead time to ramp up. Firmware can always be tweaked right up to shipping date.

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:24 PM
MikeNakhla
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

nowinstock.com says that preorders for adorama sold out at 3:10 PM, so I just missed the cut off according to that site. Good news is that Ritz Camera just put up the D800 for preorder about half an hour ago and I just picked one up there!

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:44 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

I think that Ritz was one of the most screwed up stores a few years back. I think that would be the time of the Canon 20D or 1DsII (I bought both.) I remember being really pissed at them ...

Just FWIW. YMMV of course! That is a long time ago.

I think most of Amazon's orders are fulfilled by Adorama? So those two orders may actually be with the same company.

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:48 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

I actually cancelled my 1D X preorder with Adorama to get on one of these!

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Patrick Lanius
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 Preordered - Any Experience with B&H or Adorama?

mnakhla wrote:
Good news is that Ritz Camera just put up the D800 for preorder about half an hour ago and I just picked one up there!

mmurph wrote:
I think that Ritz was one of the most screwed up stores a few years back. I think that would be the time of the Canon 20D or 1DsII (I bought both.) I remember being really pissed at them ...

Just FWIW. YMMV of course! That is a long time ago.

I would recommend that you stay away from Ritz. They are very screwed up.

I ordered a refurb D7000 from them about 3 months ago. The price was great. Their web site said it was in stock. I ordered it and paid for 2 day air shipping. Then, I waited and waited but no camera. When I finally called their customer service, I was told that it wasn't in stock even though I was looking at their web site while on the call and the web site said the camera was in stock. They told me they should get new stock in soon and would ship out any day now.

When I didn't get the camera again, I had to go through the same BS with them - again they said the camera wasn't in stock even though the web site said it was. A few days later, I called and kept asking for someone with more authority. I got cut off several times. I finally got a call back from someone who said they were a supervisor. After much discussion, I finally got through to him that I was at the end of my patience. A few hours later, I got a notice that the camera had shipped.

Bottom line, I did get the camera as advertised but it was weeks later and it was a total hassle holding their feet to the fire to get it. I heard a similar report from a friend who ordered from Ritz about a month ago.

I will never deal with them again.

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.