New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

mrak1979

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

Anybody have any experience getting their Tokina ATX-Pro zoom serviced by Tokina for the Spherical Aberration or "Tokina Glow"/milky haze that's common with their zooms? I just picked up a Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 and I get this "glow" around subjects at 50-70mm f2.8-f4. I'm planning to get it serviced and was wondering what people's experience has been. I would hate to be forced to replace this lens with a different brand.

Thanks

Edited on Feb 08, 2012 at 11:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

I'm not sure you should bother. The 50-70mm range is a known weak area for this lens. If the aberration is slight by f/3.5 and mostly gone by f/4, you're were you should be. You can mitigate some of this by exposing well and shooting with lower contrast, then adding contrast in post.

I looked at some shots I took with mine when I had it. It's a pretty special lens, just not very useful on DX. So I sold it, but I always wondered how it would do on an FX body. Are you shooting FX by chance?

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:03 AM
mrak1979

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

Thanks for your input, Elan.

The glow is still there at f4 and gets in the way of my ability to achieve precise focus on subjects. That being said, I've heard one person in the forums saying he sent his into Tokina, and they said it was a matter of updating the coatings for modern digital sensors. When the lens was returned, the symptoms were reduced, but not eliminated.

I adapt this nikon mount lens to my canon eos aps-c (~DX) frame.

Any other experiences?

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

Are you serious, they recoated the element? That sounds like something that could only be done in a factory setup. I would borrow a Nikon body to test the lens on before going further. A small variation in the lens to sensor spacing can create aberrations that would not otherwise be there. If the adapter has glass in it, then it's that much worse. In either case I would not throw questionable money at this $300 lens. Minor flaws aside, it's a bargain performer for the FX shooter. Pass it on and get yourself a 17/18-xx zoomer for your APS-C body.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Airphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

Been there dont do that. The Tokina are getting old and will be degrading. sell it and get a Nikon 24-85mm 2.8 it is a way better lens. The tamron 28-75mm is also better.

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:28 AM
mrak1979

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina ATX-Pro Zoom Spherical Aberration "Glow"

Thanks for advice guys.

Hmm... my fotodiox pro adapter doesn't have glass, and I've adapted many Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses to my camera with no problems like this. I'll need to test Tokina on Nikon body.

Any inexpensive equivalent replacement lenses with constant aperture and aperture ring, you guys can recommend?

thx again

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.