Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

Apart from the higher fps and better ISO performance what justifies the double price tag of the D4?

You could buy 2 x D800's. You could buy a D800 and 2 pro lenses. You could buy a D800, 3 x SB910's and a pro lens.

So, what does the D4 offer that is worth a whole $3000 extra?

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:33 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

dont forget to add $616 grip to the price.

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:37 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

mshi wrote:

Eeek, good point. So what justifies the $2400 extra cost?

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

ct8282 wrote:
Apart from the higher fps and better ISO performance what justifies the double price tag of the D4?

just that. for PJ and professional sport shooters, I think it's justifiable. If one has to ask, then they probably don't need these two features.

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:43 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

Thang wrote:
just that. for PJ and professional sport shooters, I think it's justifiable. If one has to ask, then they probably don't need these two features.

Let me rephrase the question for you then. Is the extra fps and better ISO worth $2400?

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:47 PM
innovis
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

An INFINITE of QUALITY lowlighting/sports/action images the d800 even with high resolution cannot contest? Proclaiming "apart" from the features that MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE is quite a gaffe haha. But just a few other things I guess would be... ergonomics, joysticks, dedicated rear iso/qual/wb buttons and just a more intuitive BODY. And yes, this matters... because aside from performance, the camera body should be functional to standards enabling an "easier" workflow for us.

Heck, even the mic and ability to cram more storage is a plus. But it always boils down to which "type" of photographer you are to justify anything. They are two different cameras that I truly believe nikon wanted purchased as a combo. Thats what I'm doing, D4 AND D800... win/win.

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:49 PM
kipster

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

what justifies the double price tag of the D4?

corporate credit card?

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:51 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

kipster wrote:
what justifies the double price tag of the D4?

corporate credit card?

I would be instantly fired!! Well, it would take a few days to be highlighted actually....

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:52 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

I'm guessing you don't sell stuff for a living do you? Pricing has just as much to do with what companies believe consumers are willing to pay as it does with production costs. Nikon know their target markets and what they are willing to cough up for the latest and greatest toy.

Cheers
Leigh

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:58 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

LMT1972 wrote:
I'm guessing you don't sell stuff for a living do you? Pricing has just as much to do with what companies believe consumers are willing to pay as it does with production costs. Nikon know their target markets and what they are willing to cough up for the latest and greatest toy.

Cheers
Leigh

He he. Oh the irony. You'll be interested to learn that I work for a market leading manufacturing corporation as a Business Development Manager. Last year I sold £2.63million of product.

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:04 PM
crewshin
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

It all depends on the person behind the lens. If they are the type of person to really push things to the limit... $2400 very well could be pocket change for a 1% increase in sharpness or res.

Most people would justifiably rather spend the extra money on a few lenses or a good one. It's all about the POV.

For me personally... the increase in high iso low noise is well worth that extra bit of money. I need that a lot more than more resolution. But I'll probably end up buying one of each. It's just a tool after all.

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:07 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

ct8282 wrote:
Eeek, good point. So what justifies the $2400 extra cost?

Extreme FPS and large buffer sizes are the unique providence and need of professional shooters. It's a gimme to distinguish the cameras by those two factors alone. Once properly positioned, they can charge whatever price the pro market will bear.

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:07 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

ct8282 wrote:
He he. Oh the irony. You'll be interested to learn that I work for a market leading manufacturing corporation as a Business Development Manager. Last year I sold £2.63million of product.

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:10 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

snapsy wrote:
Extreme FPS and large buffer sizes are the unique providence and need of professional shooters. It's a gimme to distinguish the cameras by those two factors alone. Once properly positioned, they can charge whatever price the pro market will bear.

that last point says it all right there...this has little to do with nikon's costs of production on the d4, but everything about product positioning and who the camera appeals to...in this case mostly pros for whom the extra money over what the d4 'should' cost isn't going to change their business decision to buy one.

for me it sux as i look at the cost differential and think nikon overpriced the d4 by about $1k...but the market will likely beg to differ i assume.

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:23 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

Remember the video side of things. Nikon did a major upgrade to the video features and abilities on the D4. Even if you don't use them, you're still paying for them.

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:08 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

mshi wrote:

ahahahaha

what?!

-___-

not getting a grip for mine.

edit:if i get one.

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM
avyaktha1

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

are there any differences in the video capabilities between d4 and d800? expect that ISO in d800 will be relatively weaker

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM
fpimentel
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

The choice between a D4 and a D800 (other than the differences in price) are higher ISO and enhanced AF for the D4 vis-a-vis a 36MP sensor for the D800. I would like to have a D800 with enhanced AF rather than one a higher ISO (like the D3s or D4). I know that I will buy a new camera later in the year (after teaching during the summer session when I get paid more) but I am still undecided. I am not in a rush since I use a D3s that is a great camera. I want to read more about both cameras and see the pros and cons of each one (other than the differences in prices). And I would like to know more about the 2 models, the D800 and the D800e as well. When I have a better idea of ALL the features of these cameras (D4, D800 and D800s) I will make a better informed decision about which one to buy.

FP

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:20 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

When is justification involved with the price for anything? A new GM/Ford/Dodge truck costs less to produce than a sedan but sells at a higher price - how do they justify that. Get a $150 GPS built into the dash and the auto makers charge an extra $3000 - how can they justify that?

The D4 is overpriced but so are all mid to high end cameras. Nikon and Canon enjoy a virtual monopoly and their pricing reflects that monopoly. I bought a 55" Sony LED LCD television last year and it was 1/3 the price I paid for a much inferior 52" Samsung DLP television I bought 3 years earlier. Difference is that I can buy any set from any manufacturer so it is highly competitive.

To switch to a Canon 5D Mark II I would need to buy new lenses and new speedlights and Nikon knows this. They sell the entry level cameras cheap and the high end cameras dear.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:36 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

elkhornsun wrote:
When is justification involved with the price for anything? A new GM/Ford/Dodge truck costs less to produce than a sedan but sells at a higher price - how do they justify that. Get a $150 GPS built into the dash and the auto makers charge an extra $3000 - how can they justify that?

The D4 is overpriced but so are all mid to high end cameras. Nikon and Canon enjoy a virtual monopoly and their pricing reflects that monopoly. I bought a 55" Sony LED LCD television last year and it was 1/3 the price I paid for a much
...Show more

All valid points. However, there's not much risk of anyone switching to a Canon 5D mk2 in reality. ROFLMAO

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.