New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · End of the line...

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · End of the line...

RustyBug's rail shots reminded me of these I captured about 10 years ago with my trusty Minolta D7Hi while out for a fall ride to get some shots of my motorcycle...

http://super.nova.org/TP/EndOfLine01.jpg
http://super.nova.org/TP/EndOfLine02.jpg

The bike
http://super.nova.org/TP/K120LT_Fall.jpg
I put 78,000 miles on it from 2001 - 2009 all commuting to work (70 miles a day / year-round).

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · End of the line...

Let me guess, the Minolta did NOT have an AA filter (or a very weak one) ... I'm diggin' the detail distinction between focus vs. oof.

Those are nice for lots of reasons.

Feb 06, 2012 at 03:53 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · End of the line...

I used selective over-sharpening in PP on the cut end of the rail to enhance the cut marks

Feb 06, 2012 at 06:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · End of the line...

First one doesnt work well for me. My eye goes to the rails abrupt end, but then crosses to the sandy bank and brighter tree on the left before discovering the action further down the tracks. I think the camera position is the problem. If you crop some from each side, you make the image more dynamic, but lose the end of the rail on the left.
Second is more in-your-face engaging, in a good way. I like this one a lot. I would consider some desaturation of the cab, which I view as a bit distracting. But it may be part of your intention to use the color and the cab to jump down track.
Scott

Feb 06, 2012 at 07:14 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · End of the line...

More importantly - Nice bike. Great choice for putting on the miles. I had an 04 BMW R1150RT until it and I had a disagreement with a car on a blind curve last year. Riding a Goldwing now but lusting over the new BMW 1600 GTL. I have been averaging about 15,000 miles/year recently, year round in NJ.

Feb 06, 2012 at 09:10 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · End of the line...

sbeme wrote:
First one doesnt work well for me. My eye goes to the rails abrupt end, but then crosses to the sandy bank and brighter tree on the left before discovering the action further down the tracks. I think the camera position is the problem. If you crop some from each side, you make the image more dynamic, but lose the end of the rail on the left.
Second is more in-your-face engaging, in a good way. I like this one a lot. I would consider some desaturation of the cab, which I view as a bit distracting. But it may be
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback. Agree that the first shot is less that stellar. I included it as context to set up the second shot which contains none to explain why the rail is cut off. I also use it as a bookend at the end of slideshows on my photo album site.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.