New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 180mm macro vs. 70-200 f/2.8 IS II at 180mm for landscape

splathrop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 180mm macro vs. 70-200 f/2.8 IS II at 180mm for landscape

Any opinions about relative image quality would be of interest. I ask because I am trying to fill a niche for telephoto landscape use, ergo f/8 or smaller for depth of field, and quite a bit of hyperfocal use. I make enlargements 40 to 50 inches wide, so image quality is always stressed, in both senses of the word. After some experiments with the zoom, I'm less inclined to think it can get over the bar than I was when I started. Seems like 2 copies of the zoom I have tried have both had trouble with uniform sharpness across the field. Either one would probably work okay as an event shooter, but I may be demanding too much.

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 180mm macro vs. 70-200 f/2.8 IS II at 180mm for landscape

I doubt you would see tremendous differences between the two in terms of IQ. If you are looking at a flat field (a line parallel to the camera back) as determinant of uniform sharpness across the field the you are probably better off with the macro has it has much better flat field characteristics but this usually isn't an issue in landscape photography.

The thing that is important to remember is that the criteria for a properly hyperfocally focused shot is the concept of acceptable sharpness, not absolute sharpness - that only occurs at one point. Also, since neither lens has a distance scale on the barrel, determining the proper hyperfocal distances is going to be a bit difficult. You might want to check over in the Alt Forum to see if a Contax or Leica 180mm might be better for your purpose.

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Gyrine
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 180mm macro vs. 70-200 f/2.8 IS II at 180mm for landscape

I don't have the 70-200/II but I do have the 180L. I think you can accomplish your objectives with the 70-200 but that being said...I don't think I'd ever give up my 180L. It's a spectacular lens.

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:35 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 180mm macro vs. 70-200 f/2.8 IS II at 180mm for landscape

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/705983

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.