New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon Warranty Cards

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Warranty Cards

Is there any benefit of sending these in upon purchase of a Canon product? I know they're only good for original purchaser, but what's the point anyways of filling it out and sending it in if one doesn't need repair service within the year? Does Canon track proof of ownership or anything else through these for insurance claims or anything?

Feb 04, 2012 at 09:12 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Warranty Cards

It benefits Canon, but not the user. If you need service, you will need to show your purchase receipt as proof of purchase unless its a new model that hasn't been out for a year.

Feb 04, 2012 at 09:18 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Warranty Cards

How does it benefit Canon?

Why does everyone (including me because I've been ignorant to its actual use) seem to want them when buying/selling thru B&S?

Feb 04, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Warranty Cards

There isn't any use for those cards. Canon doesn't ask for them for service. Think of it just as a serial number card that accompanies the lens through the manufacturing process. The only thing you need for service is the receipt.

Technically, the warranty is non-transferable. If you buy a used lens and the previous owner's name is on the receipt, they could simply tell you that the warranty is not valid. In practice, canon rarely makes an issue of it so long as the receipt falls within the valid date range. Besides, if they question you, you could always say that it was purchased as a gift.

But yeah.... the blank warranty cards mean nothing. Those that boast about having a blank warranty card when selling the lens are either misinformed about how the system actually works, or they are intentionally trying to mislead potential buyers.

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:27 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Warranty Cards

The warranty cards are just for sales info.....Canon use of them is to determine all the data of who, what, where, etc for marketing.

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Warranty Cards

onesickpuppy wrote:
The warranty cards are just for sales info.....Canon use of them is to determine all the data of who, what, where, etc for marketing.

And that is worth money to canon or whoever they sell, license, give, etc the info to.

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Warranty Cards

The cards benefit telemarketers.

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Warranty Cards

I keep them because people who buy my lenses seem to like them. As far as Canon warranty service goes, you need to show them the receipt; the warranty card serves no purpose.

Feb 06, 2012 at 07:46 AM
vince_ross

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Warranty Cards

Canon asked for a copy of my receipt when I sent my 70-200 in for service. I've never heard of them asking for that warranty card for anything.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.