New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · ERR 99 1D Foils

stebesplace
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ERR 99 1D Foils

Out shooting some BIF today, and had the good ole ERR 99 on my 1D Mark II. It has been a year or so since I'd had the error, shooting often.

This time though, it was different.

Had a full battery (or 3/4 full) and happily shooting away. Then all of a sudden, took a shot, shutter stayed open, and the battery indicator was blinking on the top LCD.

Reseated the battery, turned it on, shutter released, fine. Took one more picture.

Took a second picture, and BAM, ERR 99.

Turned it off, reset the battery, took a shot, worked okay.

I continued to have the shutter issue though, with the low battery indicator. I've since been charging this, but it got me thinking about what could be causing this. I really feel that this is all battery related. I cleaned the contacts, and the battery seemed to work again for a brief time. I then put my OEM canon battery in, knowing it was fully charged, and it work fine.

Sooooo, not sure what the deal is, did some searching on other ERR 99 threads in here, but it seems nobody has nailed down what the specific issue is, because it could be one of many issues (or a combo). Could be generic battery (Delmar), contacts, or more. There is no corrosion in the battery compartment, so probably not that.

Anyway, just passing on my findings.

Feb 04, 2012 at 06:42 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ERR 99 1D Foils

Get a Lenmar battery.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/12/canons-error-99-the-man-the-myth

Feb 04, 2012 at 08:13 PM
batta2

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ERR 99 1D Foils

I've been having the same issue recently. At first I thought it was the battery contacts, but it continued to occur even after cleaning the contacts. The only thing that seems to work is to turn on the sensor cleaner and press the shutter. I then turn the camera off and back on and the problem goes away. I'm shooting with a 1D Mark IIn.

Feb 04, 2012 at 08:40 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ERR 99 1D Foils

Back in action, so the batter I had been using was a Lenmar, not Delmar as I thought in my head.

Batta, that's about what I have to do to clear things out. I still believe this is battery related though, and will be doing more testing to see what is going on.

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:32 PM
TractionAction
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ERR 99 1D Foils

I'm looking at buying a 1Ds Mark 1 in pristine condition. This body has less than 9k shutter clicks. The camera does suffer from the ERR 99 once the shutter is clicked. All focusing, controls etc work great, until the shutter is pressed.

The current Owner bought a new battery and still the same issue. The price is now around $450.00 to buy. Should I just buy it and hope any fix is less than $300-$400?

Has anyone sent there Camera in for this repair? If so, what has been the problem and related cost?

Thx

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 09:53 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:08 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ERR 99 1D Foils

TractionAction wrote:
I'm looking at buying a 1Ds Mark 1 in pristine condition. This body has less than 9k shutter clicks. The camera does suffer from the ERR 99 once the shutter is clicked. All focusing, controls etc work great, until the shutter is pressed.

The current Owner bought a new battery and still the same issue. The price is now around $450.00 to buy. Should I just buy it and hope any fix is less than $300-$400?

Has anyone sent there Camera in for this repair? If so, what has been the problem and related cost?

Thx

1Ds is a great cam but i would skip this one

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ERR 99 1D Foils

mttran wrote:
... i would skip this one

+1

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ERR 99 1D Foils

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery. Under load one breaks down & becomes a resistor rather than a battery. I got a new battery (Energizer) with a bad cell & it caused lots of problems until I took the case apart & diagnosed which cell needed replacing. don't remember what it cost but it was less than returning it to the US dealer.
Re error 99, NOT counting the battery issue, I bought a 1D2n which has a sticky mirror box mechanism. The camera works fine above 73 degrees F, but below that the power required to flip the mirror up must be higher than the mechanism is designed to use so it stops trying & sets error 99. I can get it working by turning the power off or removing the battery & starting over & after about 10 (or less attempts) it starts working perfectly, and stays that way until it's had a few hours of rest, which re triggers the sticky part to hang tight again. Fortunately my primary use for that body is during the summer, and just a few minutes of sitting in the sun makes it very happy to perform.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.