Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which is better?

bjolly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which is better?

I'm getting ready to print this shot and I wanted to gather some opinions on something. In my original edit of this shot I added a grad at the top to invert the gradient in the sky that quickly got brighter and drew the eye upward. In the recent edit I decided instead to simply slow down the gradient so as to keep a more natural look.

You'll notice other differences, since I completely re-did the edit. It's a 2-exposure composite and the blend is different, the sky is less saturated in the first (I think due to a levels adjustment set to 'luminosity') and the WB is warmer in the second shot. So, my questions are:

a) Grad at the top, or the natural look? Something in-between?
b) WB cool or warm?

Try to ignore the difference in saturation in the sky if you can. I already have an inclination on a), but I don't want to sway anyone's honest opinion, so I'll wait to share that.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6053/6300169922_e5758f1bc3_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/6815439213_a0b3a81c99_b.jpg

Feb 04, 2012 at 08:01 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which is better?

Gorgeous photo. Print big! I prefer the first, the one on the top. I like the BG being slightly darker.

Feb 04, 2012 at 08:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which is better?

For me, the answer lies in the question of "What's your point" / "Where do you want to draw the viewer's eye?"

In the second one, I keep coming back to the GGB and the city & sky compete less with it.

In the first one, I'm more balanced between the city, sky and GGB.

To my way of thinking, I'd like to see the eye drawn to balance between the GGB & city, with the sky being rendered so that it doesn't become a focal point of its own but rather a pleasing negative space (like the fog). The reverse gradient creates a contrast point at the sky that draws the eye. While I kinda dig it ... the question is whether it is being used to balance or is it pulling away ... and that's gonna be your call what you're trying to use it for.

My call ... #1 for WB, #2 for sky (lose the reverse grad). Either way, very nice composition ... I really dig the alignment with the background bridge and the scale/balance/lines/etc. Putting your top light right at the mountain range top and cables crossing at other instersect points ... very tiny details. but I doubt they happened by accident/luck.

Here's a few changes ... notice how the eye moves a bit more toward the GGB and less toward the sky/city/mountains, changing the balance ... just depends on where you want to take your viewer ... i.e. the GGB, the skyline, the sunset ... balanced or leaning one way vs. the others.

Feb 04, 2012 at 10:10 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which is better?

Is the slight banding in the skies an artifact of the reduction to web-size, or is it present in the originals? o my eyes there is slightly less banding in the second. Otherwise each is good and, although different, I like them about equally.

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which is better?

Absolutely gorgeous image. It will be great in print!
Sky-wise, second or Kent's rework. First in unnatural going dark, lighter, dark in the sky.
WB change is subtle. And its hard to imagine this subtlety will be fully controlled as you go to print.
Print-wise, what size, paper, and how is it being fulfilled?

Scott

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:08 AM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which is better?

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:26 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which is better?

Any thoughts of toning the reverse gradient with a blue tone to emulate the twilight and tie in with the fog picking up the sky color?

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:30 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password