New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

I was reading that the amount of memory accessible can vary according to licensing agreements. Is this why laptop PC's that only have 2 slots for memory are spec'd at a max of 8GB (pre-loaded with Windows 7, but not the Ultimate version for unlimited memory)?

I'm thinking that anything over 8GB (upgrading to 10-16) would be fine for my future needs and I should be able to achieve that with 2+8, 4+8 or 2x8, yet nearly all laptops except workstations with 4 slots are spec'd to only 8GB max. Do I really need a mobile workstation to get 4 slots, or can I go with a 2 slot laptop and simply use Professional version of Windows

I've spoken with multiple laptop OEM vendors, technical depts, memory vendors, etc. and no one has been able to explain to me what is keeping a 2 slot laptop spec'd to only 8GB Max memory. I've asked if it is mobo dependent, cpu dependent, software dependent, etc. ... noboby has been able to give me a clue other than to say, "The spec sheet says"

Realistically, Windows 7 64-bit Home editions are limited (because of licensing issues, not physical limitations) to 16GB of RAM and the Professional and Ultimate editions can rock up to 192GB of RAM.

http://www.howtogeek.com/56701/htg-explains-whats-the-difference-between-32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-7

So, is anybody running MORE THAN 8GB memory in a laptop with only 2 memory slots. Ideally, I'm wanting to use fast (2540M, 2620M, 2640M, etc.) 35W (heat/battery) cpu (2 cores I know) with 12-16 GB Ram ... but I can't find anything that is spec'd to allow for MORE THAN 8GB unless it has 4 slots AND is a Quad.

Thoughts ...

Edited on Feb 04, 2012 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2012 at 10:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

Which chipset is in that notebook? Most likely it is a hardware limitation, but I do suggest the "pro" OS in notebooks. I like a clean build anyway and the vendors usally bundle so much crapware, that it is not worth wasting hours figuring out if something sneaky is left behind.

EBH

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:37 AM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

It's likely one of two things (but I don't know which it is). Either the motherboard/CPU is limited to a max of 8GB, or the laptop is capable of running 16GB but was never tested with 8GB modules. 8GB SODIMMS are relatively new, and it's possible that none were available at the time the laptop was designed, to test with (mfgr didn't want to specify something he couldn't test with).

It also depends upon the CPU. In general, the mobile processors can't handle as much memory as the desktop versions. For example, the first generation i5 CPU has a max memory capacity of 8GB, whereas the i5 in my previous desktop maxed out at 16GB. The second gen i5 mobile CPUs now max out at 16GB, while the second gen i5 desktop CPUs max out at 32GB.

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

Thanks guys,

BobCollette wrote:
The second gen i5 mobile CPUs now max out at 16GB

This is fine for what I'm looking for ... but they all "spec" out @ 8GB Max. Despite my repeated requests/suggestion/questions otherwise, I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm that ... all citing spec @ 8GB max.

I've suggested that the spec was written without consideration for the 'newer' 8GB sticks, but nobody has had the backbone to tell me it is viable.

+1 @ EBH ... clean build, i.e. "lean & mean"

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

Rusty--unless you're doing non-photographic work, I'm going to doubt you'll benefit *too* much from more than 8 gigs at a time. The only time I see photoshop crashing to the disk is when I've got 150+ mpix panoramas.

It'll be more cost effective to buy a new laptop by the time you'll need 16 gb of memory.

Movies you say? Pile the memory on! Photos--not so necessary.

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Windows Licensing Limits Ram Usage

Daniel ... +1 @ 8GB for regular photos is easily fine to work with.

This is covering the bases for:

1) Stitching / pano / etc.
2) Multi-tasking while batch processing
3) Just not wanting to feel like I'm backed "up against the wall" (psuedo future proof).

It'll be more cost effective to buy a new laptop by the time you'll need 16 gb of memory.
If I decide to also invest in an FHD/IPS/RGB LED laptop screen, I don't want "unseen" RAM limitations to put my in a position to be kicking my $$$ screen investment to the curb prematurely.

Feb 04, 2012 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.