Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

Leaving aside the differences in the camera bodies and functions...what is the difference for someone using L lens and strobes in a studio at 200 ISO max...wanting to print upto A2 ?

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:16 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

anthonygh wrote:
Leaving aside the differences in the camera bodies and functions...

Well, ignoring these differences misses many of the reasons that the 1DIII is an overwhelmingly better camera. Setting that aside, the 1DIII has a larger sensor which means larger pixels and in general that means you get a "richer" RAW file that can be manipulated more successfully.

I went directly from a 40D to a 1DIIn sometime ago and was frankly stunned at the IQ improvement at every ISO level. The 1DIII is a significant step up over the 1DIIn.

I'm not sure how the details of your lighting situation and requirements will bear on your image, but I can't imagine any scenario in which the 1DIII won't give you better results. One obvious and glaring difference is simply the fact that the AF on the 1DIII is both generations improved and true pro quality.

HTH

Robert

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:37 AM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

While I never did any side by side comparisons, I do know that the 40d at low iso was steller. Unless you are looking to gain the upgrades body and function wise, I really see the 40d holding its own IQ wise with my mkIII especially at low iso's.

Feb 04, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Brian Kluball

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

I currently own both and I agree with what OntheRez stated concerning PPing 1D3 files over those from the 40D. The 1D3 files are wonderful to work with at all ISO levels. That being said, for what you described I don't think you could go wrong with either one. At low ISO the 40D can easily hold its own with the 1D3 provided you are getting your lighting/exposure correct before the shot. You might have to sharpen the 40D files more than the 1D3 files when using the same lens (But it won't be by much).

Feb 06, 2012 at 08:03 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

My situation is that I have a 40D that I use for studio shoots (models, headshots, fashion) and the images from it are good. But it is my only DSLR and I feel I need a reserve as this has done a fair number of shoots now.

From what I have read..and within my limited budget..and my results from the 40D sensor...a 1D3 seems to fit the bill.

But if there is no significant IQ advantage I would just get a second 40D and spend the saved 700 or there abouts on something else...or just save it....I'm not rich!!

I also shoot film during the sessions with a 1V HS so I am aware of the focusing differences...to be honest I get a high hit rate (close to 100%) with both...and when I don't, it is because I'm careless.

The only other two bodies I have considered are the 5D ( but I originally bought the 40D after trying both) and the 1Ds2...... that is a similar price to the 1D3 but an older generation body. I also concluded that a crop sensor of some description would minimize any corner softness in the lenses I own...the 1.3 crop body seemed the best compromise here as well....bigger than the 40D....but not full frame.

I hope to get into landscape more as well...but lust after a Mamiya7 MF rangefinder for that experience!!

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

If the 40D does what you need, its a wonderful camera. You are not going to see any huge IQ improvement at ISO 100, but at 400, 800, or more, the difference becomes significant.

Its the entire feature set taken as a whole that makes it so much better of a camera.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:52 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

I didn't see much difference in the file quality, but my lenses were wider, and the AF was more accurate, so the 40D has hardly been used and has since been put back in it's box to sell.

Feb 07, 2012 at 03:35 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

as has been noted by others already - the two cameras aren't really comparable as tools.. the 1D3 is a veritable Swiss-army knife of a camera, capable of almost everything, while the 40D has many limitations.

that said, i'd like to add that the 40D's pixel quality is surprisingly good for a camera in that line. in managed studio or other well-lit situations, the lesser focusing abilities won't cripple you while the image quality (due to reasonable resolution for the sensor size) will mostly surprise you, esp when you factor in that a well-cared for used 40D body can go for just $300-350 dollars. i've always maintained that my first 40D was my best ever photo investment from a dollars spent vs dollars made/photos captured standpoint.. loved it so much that after I upgraded to 1-series cameras, i still went back & purchased used 40Ds for my assistants to play/learn with.

i chose 40Ds over 50Ds/60Ds/7Ds - money not being a main consideration.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Robr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

Why not a 5D as an option?
FF and 25% more pixels too for half the price of a 1dMKIII.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:43 PM
elluDe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 40 vs 1D3 low ISO IQ?

You would have to look very closely to see much difference in the pictures from a 40D and 1D MkIII, especially at lower ISO settings.

Naturally the 1D MkIII has better weather proofing and stronger build, which might not be that important if you're mostly shooting in a studio. On the other hand, the 40D has a slightly newer menu system (especially like that a double press of the info button enables easy changing of the settings) and things like auto focus in live view.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password