New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

superblue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

Guys......

Anyone know the exact cost of replacing the front element on this lens in the USA? I know it's not a lens as such [ a glass filter i believe], but was wondering. Cheers

martin

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:02 PM
SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

Hey,

I know I have seen the answer to this on the forum in the past, but I've tried a few searches and not getting anything.

I remember being surprised at how little it cost. This figure that comes to mind is $300'ish, but take that with a grain of salt until someone chimes in who has actually done it.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:39 PM
fotobean
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

I sent a 400 2.8 IS in last year to have the front element replaced and I seem to recall it was around $600 and ended up around $425 with the CPS gold discount. I also heard they have increased the repair rates so it may have changed.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:52 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

I have a Platinum membership here in the UK, to qualify you have to have a certain amount of pro bodies & lenses, if you have that then it's free to join but we don't get any discount on repairs here

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

superblue wrote:
I have a Platinum membership here in the UK, to qualify you have to have a certain amount of pro bodies & lenses, if you have that then it's free to join but we don't get any discount on repairs here

Man, that is so different than here in Canada. I have CPS Gold for $100 p.a. and Platimum costs $1000 p.a.. There are minimum gear requirements. You have to be full-time pro to get Platinum. Both Platinum and Gold get substantial cost reductions for buying new 'pro' gear, as well as very reasonably priced, flat rate repairs for most problems with most gear.

In the past two years, I've saved enough money on new gear purchases to pay for about ten years of Gold membership. Last year, I saved enough additional money on lens repairs to pay for about nine more years of Gold membership. IMO, the only reason to go to Platimum in Canada is if you cycle through a lot of CPS equipment loans. Of course, that could be of very value, depending on how you want to run things.

Edited on Feb 03, 2012 at 04:34 PM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2012 at 04:29 PM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

superblue wrote:
Guys......

Anyone know the exact cost of replacing the front element on this lens in the USA? I know it's not a lens as such [ a glass filter i believe], but was wondering. Cheers

martin

The top layer glass isn't the front element but rather a coated meniscus cover that protects the front element while also reducing internal reflections. It shouldn't be to expensive to replace.

Feb 03, 2012 at 04:32 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

The thing is Gene, it is expensive, around $400

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:27 PM
seam4444
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

Isn't $365 mimimum to work on an L lens?

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

seam4444 wrote:
Isn't $365 mimimum to work on an L lens?

In Canada, the CPS fixed-price for most lens repairs generally varies between $300 to $400, depending on the lens.

Feb 03, 2012 at 07:44 PM
shooter00

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

GeneO wrote:
The top layer glass isn't the front element but rather a coated meniscus cover that protects the front element while also reducing internal reflections. It shouldn't be to expensive to replace.

They did away with the front filter cover on the new version II big whites so the front element is a part of the actual lens group.
You know that's gonna hurt the bank account to get replaced......

Feb 04, 2012 at 12:48 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

shooter00 wrote:
They did away with the front filter cover on the new version II big whites so the front element is a part of the actual lens group.
You know that's gonna hurt the bank account to get replaced......

Wow yeah that's gonna hurt!

Feb 04, 2012 at 12:35 PM
fotobean
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Front Element For Canon EF 500mm F4 IS

GeneO wrote:

True, but still an expensive repair. The part alone is about $300.

Feb 04, 2012 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.