Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A long overdue introduction

HubbardJA
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A long overdue introduction

A long overdue introduction

It's occurred to me that I've never formally introduced myself to you, my FM friends. So better late than never, right? I've been around but not really posting since 2005-ish. I purchased my first dslr – a 40D which I sold and replaced with a D80 in 2008 and 'officially' joined the forum then. I wasn't into wedding or portraits at that point but I always enjoyed stopping by the wedding form to enjoy the work that was posted here.

As I learned my way around the camera I slowly realized that taking pictures of people was much more exciting and rewarding than the abstract subjects, landscapes, and wildlife that I'd focused on in my photographic infancy. My 'breakthrough' of sorts, when I realized there could be some future for me in photography was after a group vacation to Canada in 2006. I was asked by everyone to make an album of the trip for them. At the time it was such a great feeling to make a little money for just doing what I enjoyed... but I was afraid that pushing further into a photographic business would ruin my hobby, so I just decided to leave it at a hobby.

After asking Rachael to marry me in 2010 I had hoped to find our photographer from FM; I'd always enjoyed the work that was posted here and most of my friends wedding pictures sucked. We hoped to have a bigger photography budget but two twenty-somethings in the process of 1) buying a home 2) totally renovating that home 3) moving Rachael from NC to VA – with no salary for 3 months 4) planning our wedding on top of everything else. Needless to say, it was tough and we just couldn't come up with more than 3.5k for photography – which I think is very respectable considering how many drains we had on our savings account at the time! Anyway, we eventually decided to work with a local photographer who came to us via a glowing recommendation from a friend of Rachael's sister. We liked his work, met with him, and decided to book.

That's when the fun started... I'll spare everyone most of the details but needless to say, the friend should have NEVER recommended him as she was having major issues with this guy and even considering taking him to court. Yeah, thanks for the recommendation! We couldn't afford to loose our deposit so we stuck with him and tried to make the best of the situation. In the end, his pictures were ok but, IMO, not nearly as good as the work he showed on his portfolio and blog. Worst of all was his customer service... after he had the final payment. He didn't deliver on any of his commitments and when we finally called him out on the issues he proceeded to teat us like shit... it was the most blatant exhibition of non-professionalism I've ever dealt with in my life.

After it was all said and done, Rachael and I started talking about re-considering keeping my photography a hobby. We looked at what we had paid this guy vs. what we got in return. I started running the numbers and came to the conclusion that we could do better and actually CARE about the people we work with... ya know, because we're good people and as cliché as it sounds, we just care about other people... especially couples getting married because we know how hard it is.

We wrote a plan and incorporated our business (d/b/a Jayson and Rachael) in February 2011. We've since covered six weddings as primary and I've even had the pleasure of 2nd shooting for Jason P. last September. We have a few weddings booked for this year but most importantly, we're completely stoked at the possibilities we have in front of us. Our work as matured so much over the last year and it truly amazes me to look at how far we've come.

To my friends and acquaintances here at FM, Thanks! Thanks for the support and inspiration to always strive for the next level in both my work and our business. I'm glad to be here and hope to meet and get to know more of you over the next few years. If there is ever anything we can do you for, just ask. That's what friends are for.

So that's my story. What's yours?

Jayson (and Rachael)

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:47 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A long overdue introduction

Crazy story thanks for sharing, can I ask what percentage the deposit was?

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:17 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A long overdue introduction

My story is similar. I asked Rachel to marry me in 2009 but she turned me down in favor of some other dude named Jay, or Jackson, or Jayson....I forget. Anyway, a while later she had the nerve to ask me to shoot her wedding photos. So I told her "sure, I'd be glad to (heh heh) but it was gonna cost them $3500k. Keep in mind, that at the time I was only charging other couples $600 for a complete wedding coverage including three albums, two photographers, a limo and a personalized massage for each of the bridesmaids by moi.

So they book me, I shoot the wedding (keeping my feelings for Rachel in check but man, the dude she married was a total dork!!) Then, after the wedding I got my revenge. They would ask for the pictures, but I kept stalling them, putting them off, making them sweat. Ha ha ha!! I loved it!! Finally, when they threatened to sue, I gave them a disc of images and some spiral bound photo books I had made at Walmart.

Yeah, I kind of screwed them over but it serves Rachel right for dumping my ass.

and if you read this far, I hope you know that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. Welcome Jayson and Rachel.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:34 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A long overdue introduction

Hi, I'm Mo.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:37 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A long overdue introduction

@ Jim

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:13 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A long overdue introduction

Awesome story! Welcome! Wish I had a cool story to tell.... Maybe one day, ...

Ron

Feb 03, 2012 at 03:08 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A long overdue introduction

Welcome! I grew up in Virginia, where are you guys located?

Jason

Feb 03, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A long overdue introduction

Welcome, I would tell you how I got into photography (the real story), but I'm afraid it would make for a 10 page thread.

I'm out in Maryland, don't be a stranger... Brian

Feb 03, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A long overdue introduction

Welcome Jayson and to your better half - Rachael.

my story ... still working on it.....
let you know when i get there though....

from the Big "D"!
-Mark

Feb 03, 2012 at 04:48 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A long overdue introduction

Welcome! I'm in DC. Great to see someone else from this area. Best of luck to you and Rachel!

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:04 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A long overdue introduction

jcolman wrote:
My story is similar. I asked Rachel to marry me in 2009 but she turned me down in favor of some other dude named Jay, or Jackson, or Jayson....I forget. Anyway, a while later she had the nerve to ask me to shoot her wedding photos. So I told her "sure, I'd be glad to (heh heh) but it was gonna cost them $3500k. Keep in mind, that at the time I was only charging other couples $600 for a complete wedding coverage including three albums, two photographers, a limo and a personalized massage for each of the bridesmaids by
...Show more

This is his better half, Rachael, and this comment just made my day Thanks for the laugh!!!

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:46 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A long overdue introduction

@ stevez - Thanks for the reply. The deposit was $500. I know, in hindsight it would have been worth it to get away from him but we were truly budgeted to the penny with our savings, income and just all we had going on without taking out loans and going into debt.

@ JColman - lol... that made our day. We have a friend getting married in Raleigh this fall... we sent her your info but I'm not sure who she choose to go with. Anyway, we'll have to catch up sometime we're in NC.

@ MOMO - Hi!

@ paregorike - Thanks.

@ jbrandt - Thanks. We live between Richmond and Williamsburg. It's a great place to live. Lots to do, hour from the beach, 2 hours from DC, hour from the mountains if your into that. If your down our way lmk.

@ Brian Virts - Thanks. I was hoping to second shoot with you last fall but didn't hear anything from you It's np though, I guess I'm still kinda a noobb. I'll let you know if I'm ever in MD, same for you when you come down my way.

@ Ziffl3 - Thanks. It's kinda odd thinking that we actually have a story. Looking back I'm not sure if I'd change it or not because had we not had that experience I'm not sure if I'd be here today.

@ LivLif - Thanks. DC is well represented here. Maybe we should plan a VA-DC-MD meet this year sometime?

Thanks for the comments everyone... and blowing up my website today

-Jayson

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:57 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A long overdue introduction

That would be awesome! I would love to meet all of the DMV perps.

Feb 04, 2012 at 12:27 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A long overdue introduction

as I read the story, I realized we have connected a while back, sorry to hear about your wedding "photographer"

Feb 04, 2012 at 10:31 AM
photoman333
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A long overdue introduction

Hi Jayson and Rachael, welcome to FM!

I'm Jason too, there's a few of us on here (one is a young upstart, beware of him =P).

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:23 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A long overdue introduction

@ LivLif - No doubt. Let's set something up! We can't let the Northeast folks have all the fun. Hell, their skiing this weekend!

@ Sheri - Yeah, I've been around a while but just never really introduced myself. I've posted a few photo sets but most of them don't really get much reaction as I don't have that 'FM Look'.

@ photoman - Thanks, as I told Sheir, I've been around for a while but just never did a proper introduction, Figured better late than never! Yeah that Jason guy from Delaware is trouble. I actually worked with him last fall and thought he was a great guy. Look forward to meeting some more folks from FM this year.

-Jayson

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:22 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A long overdue introduction

Jayson, that sounds good. gotta set something up in the DC area

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.