Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

andy_s

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

over at Lenstip taken with a 1DsIII:

http://www.lenstip.com/1965-news-Samyang_24_mm_f_1.4_ED_AS_UMC_-_sample_images.html

Estimated price 599

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:40 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

andy_s wrote:
over at Lenstip taken with a 1DsIII:

http://www.lenstip.com/1965-news-Samyang_24_mm_f_1.4_ED_AS_UMC_-_sample_images.html

Estimated price 599

took a quick peek at one of the f/8 shots, doesn't look like it will quite match the canon 24 1.4 II, appears to beat 24-105L for edge sharpness (although maybe worse contrast?)

dangerous to judge by a single shot though, shows promise certainly

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:52 AM
timpdx
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

I own a 24LII and a 24_105 and the sharpness looks really nice on the Samyang for web jpegs. The vignetting is as strong as the 24-105, worse than the L prime by a good margin. Sharpness across the frame is very god, but not up to the L prime, IMO. If I didn't own the L prime, then I would strongly consider this, but my 24L is such a go to lens and I wear glasses and shoot quick, so AF is very important, but, hey, this looks real nice for some who need to save some cash. I have owned the Samyang 85 in the past and think it was one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned. But I will pass on this, given what I own. In this focal length, this looks to be a real contender if you like mf lenses.

Feb 02, 2012 at 06:18 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #4 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

Last time Lenstip posted early photos from the 35mm Samyang, the shots did not look that promising. However, later when others started using the lens it became clear the the 35mm was a VERY sharp lens. I will reserve judgement until I see more.

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:08 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #5 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

The images on this page are not very sharp. Maybe it says somewhere that they're straight out of the camera? In any case, I took one taken at f/5.6 into PS and found it to sharpen up nicely. The corners were pretty good, too. It looks like a decent lens.

Feb 02, 2012 at 04:41 PM
photoomaha
• •
p.1 #6 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

I have the 85mm, and just received the 35mm. I will be one of the first ones to grab this. I really enjoy the manual focus aspect, makes me feel more involved in the picture taking process. And, these lenses rock!

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:07 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

skibum5 wrote:
took a quick peek at one of the f/8 shots, doesn't look like it will quite match the canon 24 1.4 II, appears to beat 24-105L for edge sharpness (although maybe worse contrast?)

I wonder how it matches up in auto focus...Oh yeah, nevermind!

Omar

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

These images look like completely unprocessed, SOOC jpegs. The give away here is that even at smaller apertures, the images aren't very sharp. This would lead you to believe the camera's processing is an issue.

But I agree, those samples aren't particularly inspiring.

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:49 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #9 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

kevinsullivan wrote:
The images on this page are not very sharp. Maybe it says somewhere that they're straight out of the camera? In any case, I took one taken at f/5.6 into PS and found it to sharpen up nicely. The corners were pretty good, too. It looks like a decent lens.

It says right on the page that they are JPEG only SOOC at the lowest level of in camera sharpening. You cannot judge anything significant from these images other than if they look this good for what they are a RAW image PP well has got to look darn good. The IDsIII isn't known for SOOC sharp JPEG.

Dave

Feb 02, 2012 at 06:21 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #10 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

Yup. I didn't read the page carefully. Too busy. But the images are clearly SOOC. And as I said I found that they sharpen up nicely. It looks like a nice lens. I'd be happy to have one! --Kevin

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:18 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

Amazon is apparently accepting pre-orders

Be warned, it will be $799!!

http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-Aspherical-Angle-Canon-RK24M-C/dp/B006YM9L26/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328218106&sr=1-3-fkmr1

Dan

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:32 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

Whoa... for not much more than that, a used 24/1.4 L version I is a far better option.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:33 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · First images with Samyang 24mm 1.4

I thought about that but the Mk II is almost 2x this cost.
Yes, a MkI is "only" 50% more, but the IQ difference would be noticeable.
I am tempted to pull the trigger, but should I wait for testing or should I be
the guinea pig for this thread

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password