New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Going back to full frame

kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going back to full frame

I bought a 5D a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the camera. However, I sold my 5D off and purchased a 60D. At the time, it was because I wanted the choice of using less expensive APS-C lenses on the ultra-wide end. I also appreciate the Live View for manual focus and the swivel screen.

However, after almost a year of using my 60D, I think I want to go back to the 5D. I like how my full frame lenses are wider on a full frame camera (such as a 50mm). I don't need the APS-C "reach" and despite thinking I'd use video, I've not really done very much with it (or actually just used my camcorder with auto focus).

I also dislike how the crop camera tends to magnify lens defects of my full frame lenses (such as chromatic aberration in my large aperture lenses).

I'm thinking of putting my crop stuff on the FM buy/sell board and just picking up some full frame kit.

Before I it, do you all think this may just be me thinking that grass is greener on the other side?

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going back to full frame

Yes.

Sort of. . .

I can't deny that I love FF the most. But I find my 60D very handy indeed! I'll keep it until I can replace all its technology with a new full frame, particularly the 5D3 (or maybe a 5D2) (or less likely, due to cost, the 1DX). When I need LV or video, the 60D is what I turn to. When I simply want the best looking overall image, I use the 1DS2 (my 5D is basically mothballed, being too outdated).

I would hang in there until the 5D3 comes out, then sell your 60D and get the full frame body that has all the 60D features.

If a choice between the 5Dc and the 60D, I'll take the 60D. Between the 60D and the 5D3 (or 5D2), I'll take the 5D3(2).

If the 60D is showing faults of your FF lenses, maybe you need better FF lenses?

Good luck with this!

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:54 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going back to full frame

kakomu wrote:
do you all think this may just be me thinking that grass is greener on the other side

No.

I've got both 5Dc and T2i, which is same sensor as 60D. The 5D IQ is noticeably better than that of the crop sensor.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:13 PM
tommose
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going back to full frame

I don't think so.

I own a 7d, and recently purchased a 5D Mk II, and now I never use the 7D. Even when I go birding I prefer the 5D, unless I actually need the extra reach. For anything where 400mm or less will do, I use the 5d.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going back to full frame

The gras is greener!
From my 30D I went to 50D, because of itīs (imo) great IQ even in higher ISO. Then after a symple testshoot with my friends 5D MK II and comparing the IQ I decided to spend the extra money and went FF. I guess I would not care about the format, if any crop body would offer same IQ. But I did not find one till today. Next to that I started in analog times and like to use lenses, what they are made for (I do not own any EF-S) and use their DOF.

Ralph

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:32 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going back to full frame

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:57 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going back to full frame

i've went from 30D -> 5Dc -> 5D II

biggest 'wow' was from 30D to 5Dc...

what I love about FF is the actual FL of lenses that I use, the way a photo looks at higher ISO, the DOF, etc...

Probably the only crop that's worth it (in my opinion) is the APS-H 1D series (Even the old 1DII/1D III)

I'd rather go for a 'classic' (such as 1D II - 1D III) rather the new ones (600D/60D/7D)..

But most importantly it really comes down to one's needs and purposes for photography...

FF like 5Dc/5DII won't get you far shooting sports etc..

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:25 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going back to full frame

Well, I decided to dump my crop equipment on to the B&S board, so hopefully someone picks it up.

I thought the 60D was a very good camera, but I just preferred the 5D more. Though, I probably would get the original 5D and not get a 5D Mark II just yet.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:36 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going back to full frame

Many folks seems keep nagging that the 5d/5d2 is not great for fast movers. That is not true. The centre-pt AF which most people use anyway is highly capable. In AI Servo, there are 6 invisible AF points to help track moving objects. I believe centre-pt AF in AI Servo is more capable than many EOS cameras.
What you then do is pan around and use fast Tv.

The only challenge is when the object is moving erratically and under tricky lighting conditions. Or if you want the subject matter juxtaposed elsewhere than centre. Then the linear AF pt of the 5d/5d2 sputters. Then again until the recent introduction of the 7D, all cropped compact cameras aren't that sophisticated either when it comes to AF performance.

So if OP is like most typical photographers that uses centre-pt AF and desire great IQ, the 5d/5d2 will not disappoint. It depends on the OP's favourite photo subjects.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going back to full frame

I have used a bunch of Canon DSLRs including T1i, T2i, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, 5D Mk II, 1D Mk IV and 1Ds Mk III. My opinion may be different from many others, I find that 5Dc is among the bottoms. It seems that I have less control than the newer models, especially flash control. I a lot prefer 5D Mk II over 5Dc.

60D is one of the current bodies that I use. Mainly, I keep it because the swirl screen. It lets you do many shots that you can't do with any other Canon DSLRs.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:15 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going back to full frame

I bought your 5D when you bought your 60D and I haven't looked back on going FF. Granted, I moved up to 5D2. I had looked through your images when I bought the camera, and there were some memorable wide angle shots, so I can well understand why you'd like to go back to FF.

GLWS and have fun with your FF kit.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:22 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Going back to full frame

Wahoowa wrote:
I have used a bunch of Canon DSLRs including T1i, T2i, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, 5D Mk II, 1D Mk IV and 1Ds Mk III. My opinion may be different from many others, I find that 5Dc is among the bottoms. It seems that I have less control than the newer models, especially flash control. I a lot prefer 5D Mk II over 5Dc.

60D is one of the current bodies that I use. Mainly, I keep it because the swirl screen. It lets you do many shots that you can't do with any other Canon DSLRs.

Compared to the newer Canon APS-C models and 5DM2 the 5D is an ancient brick of a camera in terms of handling and features but it beats all of them for IQ except the 5DM2 and it even beats that in certain respects, like color reproduction and large-aperture light transmission.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:24 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Going back to full frame

Gunzorro wrote:
I can't deny that I love FF the most. But I find my 60D very handy indeed! I'll keep it until I can replace all its technology with a new full frame, particularly the 5D3 (or maybe a 5D2) (or less likely, due to cost, the 1DX). When I need LV or video, the 60D is what I turn to. When I simply want the best looking overall image, I use the 1DS2 (my 5D is basically mothballed, being too outdated).

Sounds like you should buy Gunzorro's mothballed 5D.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:12 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Going back to full frame

The 5Dc and full frame has change my photography and definite made it more interesting. Wide aperture lenses are nice on 1.6 and 1.3 but open up a whole different way of shooting with full frame.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:35 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Going back to full frame

kakomu wrote:
I bought a 5D a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the camera. However, I sold my 5D off and purchased a 60D. At the time, it was because I wanted the choice of using less expensive APS-C lenses on the ultra-wide end.

What Do you mean? The Canon 10-22 is equivalent to the Canon 17-40 in focal length, performance and cost. Looks like a wash to me. What ultra wides were you comparing?

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:53 AM
misternikko
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Going back to full frame

twistedlim wrote:
The 5Dc and full frame has change my photography and definite made it more interesting. Wide aperture lenses are nice on 1.6 and 1.3 but open up a whole different way of shooting with full frame.

+1

I just sold my cropper and EFs lenses and jumped into a 5Dc. Im never going back. Ever. Its that much better IMO.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:10 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Going back to full frame

surf monkey wrote:
What Do you mean? The Canon 10-22 is equivalent to the Canon 17-40 in focal length, performance and cost. Looks like a wash to me. What ultra wides were you comparing?

Tokina 12-24 vs. Canon 17-40, plus any consumer zoom out there.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:17 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Going back to full frame

I recently made the switch to full frame and I don't think I'll ever go back to a crop camera. Yeah, my 70-200 doesn't have as much reach, but I don't really miss it. In fact, I'm happier with that lens as it's much more usable on the wide end of its zoom range.

I'm really enjoying the natural FL of my other lenses as well.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:00 PM
saashimi

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Going back to full frame

What got me on the FF upgrade path a couple of years ago was Canon lens build quality. The EF-S lens offerings just didn't cut it, especially on the ultra-wide and normal zoom range. Optically, they're fantastic, but at the $600-$1000 price points for a 10-22mm and 17-55 f/2.8 IS, the lack of weather sealing or constant aperture (in the case of the 10-22mm or even the newer 15-85mm) was a hard sell. If you wanted L lenses, you were stuck with awkward crop factors. I didn't try third party lenses due to QC misgivings.

So for me it was a 5Dc with 17-40 f/4L and 24-70 f/2.8L. I have to admit I was tempted by the 7D, but couldn't get over the comparable EF-S lenses. So kudos to Canon marketing--they got me on the FF and L lens path. If Canon offered a bomb-proof 17-55 like the Nikon DX, odds are I'd be using a 7D. (And yes, I understand that Nikon offered this kind of build quality on a crop lens since they were only making crop bodies at the time).

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Going back to full frame

Gunzorro wrote:
When I simply want the best looking overall image, I use the 1DS2 (my 5D is basically mothballed, being too outdated).

?? Isn't the 5D and the 1Ds2 the same age? I guess my 1Ds needs to be thrown into the garbage

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.