Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 1D-x

nikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1D-x

There is a local camera shop here in our area that accepts pre-order of 1D-x for $6,800. It is very tempting to sell some of my lenses and both my cameras to upgrade. I feel like an idiot right now!

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:14 PM
adrianb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1D-x

It would be foolish to sell stuff before you hand test the thing...

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:29 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1D-x

Since the exact availability of that camera is still questionable, I would be leary of stores that require you to pay a downpayment, let alone the full amount, just to accept pre-order. Unless, if you can cancel and get 100% of your money back that is. Keep also in mind that that particular store may not get any until later while other, most big on-line stores, for example, have received 2-3 batches. The asking price seems to be fine but after D4 has been announced for approximately $6K, Canon may revisit the price of the 1D-X again when that camera is actually available for delivery. What I am trying to say is, consider how well you know those people and how comfortable you are with them before making any payment.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:36 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1D-x

also comparing what you have (bodies & lenses) against what the 1Dx can offer...
Of course it's the 'better' dslr in canon line up....but if you can get the job done with what you have now.....there's no point in going 'all in'....for it..

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:41 PM
jffielde
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1D-x

I wouldn't put any substantial money down on something you might not get for six months. Stores go belly-up everyday, and and you won't get your money back after they've given it to an employee as a paycheck or to a landlord as rent.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:53 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1D-x

I know that feeling. I am putting up my 7d for sale today to put forward to a d800 or 5d mk111 ish camera. If I buy the nikon I will run both systems for a bit and decide if I should change over or not. lots of hard decisions.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:56 PM
nikey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1D-x

Thanks for input guys. The store is reputable here in MA. http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?ProductID=5253B002&cid=7&manufacturer=Canon
I was just surprise they have the actual price when BH does not list anything yet.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:36 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1D-x

AGeoJO wrote:
Since the exact availability of that camera is still questionable, I would be leary of stores that require you to pay a downpayment, let alone the full amount, just to accept pre-order. Unless, if you can cancel and get 100% of your money back that is. Keep also in mind that that particular store may not get any until later while other, most big on-line stores, for example, have received 2-3 batches. The asking price seems to be fine but after D4 has been announced for approximately $6K, Canon may revisit the price of the 1D-X again when that camera
...Show more

+1

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1D-x

My local store only required a $500 deposit on a pre order for the Canon 1DX, and that deposit is fully refundable if I change my mind. That is a low enough amount that I am much less worried about the small chance that the store might go under. A $6800 full cost prepay would be a whole different level of worry, and one I would not consider doing that for any store other than one of the two or three big companies like B&H.

I have found that my local medium sized camera store happens to do very well for me on new releases of Canon bodies. They do not get large numbers in the first shipments, but enough for me to get one if I pre order early. The store also happens to pay for fast shipping on new releases, which has made it possible to have a new body a few days before most any other store in the country, even though that is not really a big deal.

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:24 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1D-x

Better make sure the new focusing system works first. This is what the ...third new one.... hmm. The last two had problems. 1d3 was crop beyond belief and the 1d4 is to smart for its own good to focus in the dark well.
Hopefully they got it right this time.

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1D-x

Bet it comes in under $6800... since Nikon's D4 is $6k...... At the rate Canon lost Market share after the Mk3 debacle I don't think they'd want to come in over Nikon's price IMO...

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:41 PM
teebat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1D-x

I find it's best to let other beta test new Canon equipment.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1D-x

canon pants wrote:
I know that feeling. I am putting up my 7d for sale today to put forward to a d800 or 5d mk111 ish camera. If I buy the nikon I will run both systems for a bit and decide if I should change over or not. lots of hard decisions.

Is the name "nikon pants" available?

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:46 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1D-x

jcolwell wrote:
Is the name "nikon pants" available?

I was going to say the same thing. Also, it's a 5D Mark III, not 111. Some people just want new stuff regardless if their system is adequate or not. I like new stuff but being broke helps in the decision making process.

Edited on Feb 02, 2012 at 12:57 AM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:22 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1D-x

nikey wrote:
Thanks for input guys. The store is reputable here in MA. http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?ProductID=5253B002&cid=7&manufacturer=Canon
I was just surprise they have the actual price when BH does not list anything yet.

I would not worry about Hunts. I have dealt with them for many years and with my 5D II purchase, they got me one before any of the major outfits had them available. One draw back though is the tax--at 6.25% on a $6800 price, if that is the price, it adds another $425 to the price tag to buy it locally. But you can look at it, try it, and then buy it.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:22 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1D-x

nikey wrote:
There is a local camera shop here in our area that accepts pre-order of 1D-x for $6,800. It is very tempting to sell some of my lenses and both my cameras to upgrade. I feel like an idiot right now!

Think carefully...you might still be able to take photos even without the 1D-X.......your current kit won't stop working on release day!!

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:55 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1D-x

I mean, I understand photography is a hobby for 98% of all of you,but COOOOME ON!
You can buy a car for that price. And you can't really be so naive to think it will make you a better photographer in any way.
I understand if you are a photographer,making 100K+ a year from photography,but spending 7grand on a camera that won't do ANY difference in the work that YOU do is a bit immature.

Save your money, buy some lenses instead or spend it on advertisements or/and branding so that you can make more money with the gear you already have.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:05 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1D-x

It is his money that he is considering of spending and as such, he can do as he likes with it. If he feels like spending that kind of money on a camera, so be it and who are we to tell him otherwise? I am not "endorsing" nor "condemning" his intention but I am merely saying that it is none of our business to say anything about it.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:19 AM
NikkorAIS
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1D-x

It's always amazed me that the camera has always been minimized in the photographic chain. I have used used many of the finest lenes ever made for 35 mm photography in Nikon Canon Leica, Pentax. . I can say that bodies do matter. Batteries matter, buffer matter's, . ... . everything matter's in the image chain. And the fact is without the body the finest lens is sadly lacking photographically speaking.

Especailly if your needing AF and high frame rate and good high ISO . From the spec's the 1Dx is without equal.
And the fact is there is nothing in the Canon line up right now in the 24-36 format that even comes close to what the 1Dx promises.

And I agree it's none of anybodys business what anyone else chooses to spend there money on.
So what it cost as much as a car. So what?

From the spec's I think what Canon wants for 1Dx is more than fair.

Gregory

Feb 02, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1D-x

This is a right sentence: The best lense is nothing without a body. And right too:
Their are already fantastic bodies out there. And it is possible to make fantastic pictures with your cellphone, too.
But we all are free to decide what whe want. Or need (for whatever). What we can and want to spend our money for.

I saw your amazng pictures, Dimitri. And I would like to do a journey like you did. I would do it with my 5DMK II, my 50 1.4 and 100 L. And I am sure I would do great pictures.
But I do not think if I would use a 1D X and a 70-300, a 50 1.2, a 24-70, a 70-200 2.8/4.0 IS and/or a 70-300 L IS my pictures would not be even better, I would get more in focus keepers and it would
enhance the result. Usable ISO 25k gives you more freedom and flexibility than ISO 6.400. What one is able to make out of this is a different question, yes. I saw an exhibition of pictures done with a Leica and that guy sweared on it. There was not one picture I felt worth to show to anybody. But he was happy with his Leica. Great! People who are happy do not create wars.

Even if I can do my job (photographer) with my gear. I think it is time, to switch to even better gear, that lets me feel more comfortable. At least: If 7D II will not be FF and it (or 5D III) will not offer ISO 25K I will switch to 1D X this year, too. Why should I spend another huge amount of money to gear that does not give me what I think I need?
I guess, that will be enough till that body breaks. Yes, it is the price of a great used car. But I do not need a car. I share one with my lady). And it is not that easy to do pictures, like mine or yours with a used car.

You are a great photographer Dimitri. But you mentioned yourself:
"Even 2 of my DSLR cameras did not survive the tripů"
I never had an backup body. How much bodies you had with you? How much of them where 30 or 50 Ds? I guess each of them was worth more money than I ever spend on any used car I purchased and drove ...

If my camera breaks today, I would get a new one within days. And I am sure it would not be any one, but the best I can purchase. For now that might be another 5D II again (great and cheap now). At the end of the year it would be its follow up or if there is no or it does not ISO 25K it would be a 1D X, of course.

Ralph

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password