Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

chadderwick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

I have spent more hours than I would like to admit searching the net for which lens I should buy. However, it seems you can get as many answers/reasons for that answer as posts you read.

I have a T2i that I bought about a year ago with the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. I have since replaced the 18-55 with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD and have been VERY pleased with it. I generally like architecture photography (using my Sigma or a Canon 10-22 that I am able to borrow) along with general shots of events. I do not sell my work currently as I am still very new to it and just trying to enjoy photography...however I am not opposed to selling as side work as I get better. As this is more of a hobby, I do not plan to buy a lot of lenses so want to get the most out of the couple I have. I use a timbuk2 small snoop messenger that I can fit camera with lens attached and an extra lens comfortably. I do not carry a tri/mono pod because I am on vacation to enjoy and not spend time setting up for shots. (and this is primariily for my enjoyment)

I went to Disney with the family and found the 55-250 to be slow to focus and felt like I missed some shots.

Now I am going to Italy this summer with the Mrs and am looking to replace the 55-250 with something a bit better. I expect to take some many landscape shots and think 50 is going to be too wide for many of them and not let me focus in on buildings or whatever from a distance...and I sometimes print large format so I don't want to have to crop. Also take shots of whatever I encounter along the way.

I feel like the 70-200 range is probably the best option for me, but am having a VERY hard time deciding which way to go. My current options are:
-Canon 70-200 f/4 IS
-Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS
-Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS MK I Used
-Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS MK II

I really like the idea of the Canon f/4 but worry that I will regret not having the 2.8 at dusk/evening.
While I like my Sigma 17-50, I think I want Canon this time for the weatherproofing (of the lens, not camera) and resale if I change my mind later.
I am pretty hesitant to get the MK1 used as I've read it is soft (especially on crop sensors) at 2.8 and then I will end up with f4 anyway. Also, I think I want a new lens since I only have a couple and plan to keep it a while.
Just don't know if I want/need to spend the money/carry the weight for the 2.8 is II

Like I said, I have ready many reviews, but the camera has to fit the person's situation and I am just looking for some opinions based on my background and what I plan to do with it.

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions. If I go with a new Canon, I think I will get it before the 4th so I can take advantage of the rebate.

Chad

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

I've never used the Sigma, so I can't comment on it. But you will pay a huge size and weight penalty for the Canon f/2.8 versions over the F/4 version. If I was you, and I used the lens outdoors for architectural and landscape photos, I would buy the 70-200 f/4 IS. It's a great lens and the IQ is about equal to the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. I would NOT want to travel with the 70-200 f/2.8 lens. WAY too heavy and big just for one more stop. Also, if your subject isn't moving, you've got plenty of light most of the time if you use IS. The IS on the 70-200 f/4 IS is excellent and you will get 3-4 additional stops with it.

One advantage the f/2.8 version does have is the 1.4X TC works well with it.

Edited on Feb 01, 2012 at 03:57 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:55 PM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

I think one of the f/2.8's would go well with your setup - keeping that focal length almost all the way from 17-200. Keep in mind that the 70-200 focal length (especially f/2.8) can also be a very solid portrait lens, which might be something to keep in mind if you want to get by with a minimal number of lenses.

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

If you get a 2.8 then prepare yourself for times when you dont want to cart it around as they are not the smallest lightes bit of kit around.
If you do go that route then keep the EFs as well .

as for the 2.8's in your list the mk2 IS is by far the Best of the bunch . if you can afford it then look no further. failing that then I'd rather have a mk1 IS over the Sigma OS . the sigma looks good and is proabably about the same IQ as the MK1 IS . It also seems to be the same sort of cost (here at least) . But 3rd party lenses will drop more value than a Canon L .

The F4 IS is a great compramise . and is alot more portable. Its AF is very good but as with any F4 lens will struggle a bit more in low light. Also remember your body has a extra sensitive AF sensor in the middle that needs 2.8 or faster to work

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:01 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

I would not want a 7-2 2.8 as a holiday travel lens at all. If the purpose of your vacation is photography, then it could make sense. Otherwise, I think the f4 options are better suited in that they are lighter, focus quickly, and are plenty fast for landscape and architecture shots.

Another, possibly less expensive option, that would give you more zoom is to get a 70-300. Each of the 70-300IS, the Tamron 70-300 VC, and the 70-300L could suit. The L is clearly the best, but also quite expensive.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:20 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

chadderwick wrote:
Just don't know if I want/need to spend the money/carry the weight for the 2.8 is II

It boils down to that question that you need to answer yourself. Are you willing to put with the extra weight/bulk of the faster zoom lens and are you ready to spend approximately double the money for that but you will get the best out of the bunch? If yes, then get the Mark II. If not, then get the f/4.0 IS.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Imagine l

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

My 2 cents, get the best glass you can and stick with Canon as I feel you will always get the money back out of a good "L" quality lens. That being said. I know that weight is a factor, I have a bad back and am up in my 60's and currently carry the 17-40 L, 24-105 L and 100-400 L. I use a Cotton Carrier system and I love it. I have both the vest and the belt system along with a Photog jacket from Domke (purchased at B&H or Adorama). If you are spending all that money on a trip, what's a few extra bucks to get the F 2.8 IS lens. Like I said before, you will get your money back out of that lens probably better tha the F4, especially if you are not taking a tripod. Also check at home the image quality at higher ISO settings for loow light shots on your trip so you will know how high you can go in ISO when you're on your trip. I have the 5D Mark ll and know I can shoot at 1600 without a problem, I ahve not needed anything higher as yet. Best of luck on your decision, but in the grand scheme of things it's only money.

Ken

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

svassh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

Wife and I are considering Italy this summer also for 20 year wedding anniversary.

I won't be taking my 70-200 2.8 non is however as it is way to heavy to carry all day and I'm a big guy that visits the gym 5 times a week. Planning on my 10-22, 24-105L and 50 1.4, possibly my 135 f2.8 also. Will carry a backpack and take 1 or 2 lens with me at a time. Will probably take my cheap non reporting 2x tele also if I find I need the length.

If you are considering the 70-200 I would stick with the f4 IS only. Even that you will want a backpack. There is one for sale on the B&S from mstout for $800. New seller but I bought a cheap 80-400 from him and he's a great seller. Good luck

Also spoke with another couple who went last year. While they are not photogs they did describe Italy as narrow streets and lots of people. Definately borrow that 10-22 for the trip if you can. Nothing like a full shot of the coliseum from across the street.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM
chadderwick

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm going to go with the f/4 new. I wasn't planning on taking the 10-22, but may with svassh's comment. With the weight savings of the f/4, taking the 10-22 would be possible. If I find I need 2.8, I can sell the f4 later without too much of a loss.

Looks like B&H has good price on this..anybody know of a place to find it cheaper?

Chad

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

Chad,
You won't be disappointed with the 70-200 f/4 IS. I sold mine when I bought the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. I find I miss the f/4 often. The f/2.8 IS II is a great lens, but I wouldn't think of taking it to Europe and carting it around unless I was going to do portrait-style photos. The f/4 IS is a stealthy little lens too.

I don't know about the best deals.

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:46 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

Chad,

In all honesty, I'd buy a used one off of this forum. I've bought three copies of that lens, and each has been excellent. I don't think there are many duds out there (every lens has a few, but it's pretty darn rare with the f4LIS).

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

Chad
I have the EF 70 200 2.8 II on my 7D and love it. I also have a T3I body I use primarilly for video and macro. The 70 200 2.8 feels great on a 7D body, but I would worry about the weight on a T2I (or T3I) body. I think you are making the right decision going with the F4, especially if the IS version.
Have fun.
Steven Jindra

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

You've chosen well. Getting the 70-200/4 IS is probably the best option for you.

If you plan to buy new I would not recommend looking for cheaper than B&H. They are among the cheapest of the reliable stores and looking for a cheaper one may be risky. If buying used is an option then the B&S forum here is very recommended.

Welcome to FM.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:19 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zoom Lens (70-200) for T2i

70-200 f4IS is best bang for the buck telephoto lens one can buy! Great IQ. Light weight. 4-stop IS and a load cheaper than the f2.8 version.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password