Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

I hear lots of talk of the 50/1.4 AF going out. Just wondering what you notice when it goes? Does it happen gradually? Or is it one day fine and the next day dead?

One reason I'm wondering is that my 50/1.4 seems to be quite inconsistent in focus lately; I haven't noticed that focus speed has changed.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:25 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

As far as I can make out it can just go.

The weakness is in the motor. I have read that one sure way the motor can break is if force is applied to the front of the lens. Ie slight knocks or pushes.
So I keep the hood on it at ALL times as this offers the front part of the lens some protection.

I also never bother with the FTM . FTM may be fine on a proper ring USM lens but it does not seem a good idea on any sort of micro motor to me.

But if yours has changed and is inconsistent there coul be some damage in there. So yes it could be about to crap out on you

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:17 AM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

It seems the problem is not the motor but a weak metal ring with helical slots, and plastic guides that fits in these slots. The metal ring can easiliy get deformed and thus the plastic peices can not run in the slot, and no focus.

You need to open up the lens and get the metal ring back into shape!
Here is a link on how to do it yourself...
http://www.fotomozaic.ro/artikel.php?idstory=225&s=1

Good Luck

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

faremax
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

WebDog wrote:
It seems the problem is not the motor but a weak metal ring with helical slots, and plastic guides that fits in these slots. The metal ring can easiliy get deformed and thus the plastic peices can not run in the slot, and no focus.

You need to open up the lens and get the metal ring back into shape!
Here is a link on how to do it yourself...
http://www.fotomozaic.ro/artikel.php?idstory=225&s=1

Good Luck

Agree with the above post. That's what happened twice to me with 2 different lenses.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:09 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

In my case the tell tale symptom was when it left my pocket without being in any way attached to my hand

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Symptoms of 50/1.4 going bad?

D. Diggler wrote:
I hear lots of talk of the 50/1.4 AF going out. Just wondering what you notice when it goes? Does it happen gradually? Or is it one day fine and the next day dead?

One reason I'm wondering is that my 50/1.4 seems to be quite inconsistent in focus lately; I haven't noticed that focus speed has changed.

It can either just go or it can start to get stuck at times, often near the near focusing end, the focus may get trapped there unless you nudge it or it may hesitate for a moment as it struggles past the sticky zone, it can be one day fine and the next day with the sticky issue which often then grows worse and worse, although sometimes if you live with it for months it can slowly get somewhat better again or it can just totally break, it depends

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password