Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Adv. Composite Critique

essphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adv. Composite Critique

Hi,

I'm looking for all the feedback you can give on this image composted in PP. It's a modern scene transposed on an old photograph (kind of like rephotography). After I had done this, the person I'm doing it for told me they wanted people in the shot, so I went to the same location and shot people in frame. Then I extracted and added them to the image.

Please comment on any glaring (or subtle) errors and fixes I can make to the image. One that's bothering me is that the people don't seem to fit in 100%. Can somebody offer advice on how to make them look more natural in the scene? Are they at the incorrect angle?

Any and all C&C welcome. Thanks!

Edited on Feb 05, 2012 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:56 AM
jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adv. Composite Critique

the transparency of the jeans and shirt stands out.

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:19 AM
essphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adv. Composite Critique

Right, so since they're in the center of the image it's a bit tricky to get it down so that they don't stand out. On the one hand, if I fade them, they stand out. If I keep them oblique they stand out because the background is changing behind them. Any suggestions?

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:52 AM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adv. Composite Critique

I read the image as the older man is pointing out the past, which is now sepia, as they are walking into the future, the color part of the image. So it still reads fine to me if as they leave the past they are solid and not fading. Did you try bringing back his arm and hand, pants, etc? There may be a magic point where its not 100% opacity, but 80-90% gives it just that slight softening without showing the floor behind the pants, etc. As you play with the masking I think you will know the right effect when you see it. Right now I don't understand why his hand disappears or why I can see the floor through his pants, but perhaps you have a different story running than I do.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adv. Composite Critique

Looks pretty good to me. I think the fade is sort of an artistic judgement that you will have to make yourself based on the message you and the client are going for. I would probably not fade the man's hand as much though.

I would consider moving the boy a little to the left so he is not so close to the boards.

Two things important for composites like this that are pretty easy to adjust are white balance and subtle shadows. White balance of the people here looks believable although you might be able to warm them slightly. Kind of depends on whether you want to link them more to the past or the present.

Subtle shadows around the feet can increase believability dramatically by linking composited subjects with the environment. You could probably add a little of that here but it doesn't need much. You want to keep the shadows subtle to the point where the viewer doesn't notice them consciously.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:39 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adv. Composite Critique

Given the unusual nature of the old / new merge as the image baseline, which takes awhile to register what it is, it's difficult to judge what is out of context or not.

What confuses the old /new thing for my brain is the way you split the color down the middle with new on right and old on left, but then with the image detail you have the old boards on the right (new) side sort of fading away. In that respect I think it would work better if the color transition right > left was more gradual a gradient and the detail of the old boards didn't fade as strongly on the right.

As for the figures they look about 10% larger than seems normal to my eye for scale and are composed "dead" center front > back in the passage way which is neither "been there" or "going there". You also missed a great storyline by dressing both in contemporary clothing. Imagine the difference is the older man pointing out the details is dressed in coveralls like an early 1900s craftsman and seen in sepia at 80% opacity a ghost next to the younger man in color in contemporary clothing. That would mirror and strengthen the old bones / under new fašade message here.

On a personal tangent, the image reminds me of my DIY restoration of a turn of the century Dupont Circle row house in Washington, D.C. in the mid-70s. During the renovation I discovered long abandoned piping for gas lighting in the walls and horse hair used as binder in the lath and plaster construction and a post card from the 1930s behind the mantle of the entry hall fireplace. The walls where framed with 2 x 4s that actually measured 2" x 4" and were as heavy and hard as steel. While removing the lath and plaster underneath the staircase leading to the first floor to replace it with fire code required drywall I found this at the very bottom...

http://super.nova.org/TP/Hammer.jpg

... and could swear I heard the ghost of a carpenter cursing. It is stamped "SUPPLEE HDWE PHILADELPHIA

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

essphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adv. Composite Critique

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. Here's an updated vernon. What I've done is 1) change the proportion of the people, 2) increase the color saturation slightly, 3) make the gradient more natural across the image, and 4) apply a gradient sepia effect on the man's arm/left body. Tell me what you think of this. Do the people look proportional? Is the gradient better? Feel free to lay it bare...thanks for your help.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:27 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adv. Composite Critique

need shadow under feet

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:13 PM
essphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adv. Composite Critique

Alright, here's a go at that. I also tried an effect on the man's arm -- speckling and fading out. How do you think that looks? Any ideas on how to handle it (no pun intended!)

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:38 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adv. Composite Critique

I'm only looking on my iPhone but the feet look better. Perhaps a touch more shadow? Dunno, definitely better though.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:18 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adv. Composite Critique

Last one is the best

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:19 AM
essphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adv. Composite Critique

Thanks, I think the last one looks the most natural too. Still trying to figure out how to handle the hand...

Feb 03, 2012 at 05:54 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password