Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

Chris B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

Since I'm about to convert from a 7D to a 1D4, my Tokina 12-24 will not be usable and I'm looking to add a full frame capable UWA. The build and image quality of my Tokina has been outstanding but I've not been able to find an info about their new full frame 17-35. I had a Canon 17-40 L a few years ago but I was just not impressed with the IQ... and I cannot afford a 16-35 so right now the Tokina is the only lens that's on my radar...

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:16 PM
dfresh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

I loved the Tokina 12-24/4 on crop, but got tired of waiting for this new FF compatible Tokina and was put off when I saw the going price. I ended up getting a used 17-40L for much cheaper. I never liked the 17-40L before on crop, but on FF its quite nice. BTW, your 12-24 will be quite usable on your 1D4 from ~16-24mm.

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

Actually I hadn't thought about that... but just realized that it's an EF mount, not an EF-S mount. Thanks for the info! You saved me a bunch of $$!

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

Yep al 3rd party crop lenses are EF mount . Only canons are Efs . But even then a few of them can easily be converted to work on larger formats (the 10-22 is great example)
The 12-24 tokina works a charm on 1.3 crop from about 14mm .

One thing to remember is if you have the hood on then 15mm is about the min. Mad that mistake with mine

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:31 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

I rarely use it with the hood since most of the time I have a polarizer on it... Thanks for your insight!

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:20 AM
david vennings

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

Hi,
I don't wish to hijack the thread, but as I'm now using a 1D3 I was about to sell my efs 10/22.
Would Ian care to explain how it might be easily converted, and at what, if any, FL it starts to vignette?
Regards,
David

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:29 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

david vennings wrote:
Hi,
I don't wish to hijack the thread, but as I'm now using a 1D3 I was about to sell my efs 10/22.
Would Ian care to explain how it might be easily converted, and at what, if any, FL it starts to vignette?
Regards,
David

It's been mentioned on here a few times so it may be wortha search.

But it basically involves flipping the rear plastic element protector off. That's the simplest way. You do have to be careful in use not to zoom all the way out though as the rear element will foul the mirror. I think from 12mm (maybe 13) you are safe and get no vignetting.

You can advance things a little to make it neater and or safer.

You can neaten the rear up by using a rear price from another lens ( can't remember what one though) . To make things safer you can put a thin rubber O ring on the front element. This will stop you zooming out past 12mm but ask stops you zoomin past 20mm so you do give up a little of the range.

Off the top of may head the list of EFS lenses that can convert easily are .
10-22 , 18-55 IS (look up dog toy hack) , 60 macro . I'm not sure about the 15-85 .
The 17-55 never really fills the image circle.

And for the 3rd party lenses the UWA lenses that do work well are the tokina 12-24 or 11-16 while the sigma 10-20 is said not to fill the image circle. The later 3.5 version may do but I'm not sure

The problem with theses threads is there seems to ba contingent on here that seem to think its a crime to do any of the above and that you should only use the correct lenses for the format.
The funny thing is some of those will think nothing of shaving the mifprror of a ff body so that can use some adapted Alt lens that would otherwise foul the mirror.

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:09 AM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone own the new Tokina 17-35 f4?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
You do have to be careful in use not to zoom all the way out though as the rear element will foul the mirror. I think from 12mm (maybe 13) you are safe and get no vignetting.

Yep. Real dedicated (??) folks would notch the mirror so it would clear. :rolleyes:

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:11 PM