Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

mike hogle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

tanglefoot47 wrote:
Holy crap maybe it's time to make the switch to the dark side they have 5 year warranty

Looks like Canon is trying to emulate Sony. Nikon gets another boost and the loyal consumer gets the shaft.

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:06 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

I am having them repair it since with the cps discounts its 250. too much hassle to have them send it back and send it to someone else. they will do a free cleaning and calibration also I guess. it is just more than I was expecting from what I have seen.

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:07 AM
LDRider
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

This reminds me of the old story of the TV repairman who charged $25 just to turn a screw. When the customer queried that all he did was turn a screw; the repairman said: " Its only $5 to turn the screw...plus $20 for knowing which screw to turn".

JP

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:20 AM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

mike hogle wrote:
Looks like Canon is trying to emulate Sony. Nikon gets another boost and the loyal consumer gets the shaft.

Just wait until you need a piece of Nikon gear repaired...

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:26 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

I repaired a used 24-70L at Canon Bangkok. Something wrong with the aperture. One day return. And less than $ 45 for both parts and labour

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:23 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

kevindar wrote:
sent my 100-400L which I bought here a few months ago, b/c the tension ring was not tightening any more. a very common problem with this lens. its a uw lens, so really early failure. I have heard though that it can lead to the lens locking up. Have read here on forum that it is fixed for around 185 usually. So got my estimate today, and 360 dollars of labor repair. Holly crap. Called canon and they told me their prices have gone up for repair of L lenses as off October 1st. she said this is pretty much
...Show more

wow, it's cheaper/better to get new "L" lens now

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:44 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

LDRider wrote:
This reminds me of the old story of the TV repairman who charged $25 just to turn a screw. When the customer queried that all he did was turn a screw; the repairman said: " Its only $5 to turn the screw...plus $20 for knowing which screw to turn".

JP

Aha, someone else who remembers when TV sets were worth repairing! I remember my father figuring out which vacuum tube needed to be replaced, and getting one at a local shop for about two or three bucks. Now the entire circuitry of those old TVs would be dwarfed by the power of any Digic processor chip.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Mine was spitting out little bits of fibre for a long time before the ring went slack then siezure. Had I known I would have sent it in years ago, probably still under warranty then, and saved a very expensive repair. didn't realize thats the first sign of disaster.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:45 AM
Derek
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Yeah, I'm, with Molson. Nikon are even more expensive

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:57 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

I'm surprised Canon held back their minimum repair price for so long. I recall getting the mode dial replaced on my EOS A2 in 1999 cost $160, their minimum repair cost at the time. Overhead has skyrocketed since the late 1990s so I wonder if they even broke on repairs?

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

WebDog
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Photon wrote:
Aha, someone else who remembers when TV sets were worth repairing! I remember my father figuring out which vacuum tube needed to be replaced, and getting one at a local shop for about two or three bucks. Now the entire circuitry of those old TVs would be dwarfed by the power of any Digic processor chip.

Remember when I was a kid and saw the local repairman fix a TV set by knocking the thermionic valves one by one... this kind of stuck, and I always have my rubber hammer with me! Fixes 90 per cent of all failures. Did give me a reputation at work Even the Digic 5 may need a whack or two then the RHOS standard is not followed... Now the EF 50/1.4 is NOT a suitable object for whacking repair though (My Audi A6 got a fair dosis the other day, now just like new)

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:20 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

just got my out of warranty 100-400 back from Canon. Labor charge was $359 USD. with gold discount total was $251. Since I had dropped it pretty hard I feel that at least I got my money's worth (new 3rd, 5th group, and IS ass'y, barrel, collars, etc)

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Mickey
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

tanglefoot47 wrote:
Holy crap maybe it's time to make the switch to the dark side they have 5 year warranty

Better read this first.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/16/nikon-usa-to-stop-selling-camera-parts-to-independent-repair-shops.aspx/

P.S. It includes selling to customers as well.

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:10 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

PeterP1D wrote:
just got my out of warranty 100-400 back from Canon. Labor charge was $359 USD. with gold discount total was $251. Since I had dropped it pretty hard I feel that at least I got my money's worth (new 3rd, 5th group, and IS ass'y, barrel, collars, etc)

Peter, thats what it is costing me. However, if I had dropped the lens, and had broken the IS system, or internal elements or whatever, I would understand. as far as I am concerned, this is really a design flaw in 100-400 for the tension ring to wear off, esp given that the lens is only 3 years old by date. I guess the fact that I had no issues with the lens, even with the loose ring, makes it harder to pay for it. Its just that I have heard it eventually leads to the ball bearings falling in to the zoom mechanism causing it to lock up, and a more expensive repair.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Last time when my washing mashine broke (about 10 years ago, the mechanic wanted 100$ for coming into my flat and doing a calculation. He told me he would have to cahrge me another 300 $ for exchanging (for the part and his work about 2 hours). So I payed the 100 and bought a new one for about 600. It is still working. A 300 $ repair for an 1500 $ lens does not sound to much to me, even it IS much money.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

It is funny how people complain about repair pricing. I have yet to meet a person who makes too much money at their job. However everyone else is overpaid and charges too much for their time. Be thankful they do not bill you for a phone call like a lawyer does. Time is money.

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:58 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Didn't Nikon just announce that they will no longer sell parts to any one including repair shops that aren't factory authorized? So you now are forced to send Nikon gear to a Factory repair center for even the smallest part....Ouch

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:11 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

tanglefoot47 wrote:

Yeah, their 5-year warranty is super. So super that when they charged me $500 and took 30 days last month to repair a 9-month old D3s and 14-24mm lens that both should have been covered I sold my $20k Nikon system and switched back to Canon. CPS Irvine has always bent over backwards to service my gear. Nikon acted like they were doing me a favor.

To the OP, if you're not already a CPS member, the discount you'll get as a "gold" member will pay the $100 fee.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

I just had a 7D adjusted for $125 and a 24-105L adjusted for $105. That's with 25% staff discount, so prices are still under $200.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:38 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

I understand completely. It does seem as if the flat fee is too much if they are attending to relatively small problems like yours.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:59 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password