Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

sent my 100-400L which I bought here a few months ago, b/c the tension ring was not tightening any more. a very common problem with this lens. its a uw lens, so really early failure. I have heard though that it can lead to the lens locking up. Have read here on forum that it is fixed for around 185 usually. So got my estimate today, and 360 dollars of labor repair. Holly crap. Called canon and they told me their prices have gone up for repair of L lenses as off October 1st. she said this is pretty much now their minimum cost for L lens repair out of warranty. Kinda insane. just venting.

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:17 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Now you know why it was for sale.

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:19 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

eskimochaos wrote:
Now you know why it was for sale.

I hate to think thats the case. It seemed to be fine when I first got it, and I cant see how the guy who sold it to me could know (except if he had seen the little pieces of paper rolling from under it).
Of course, now the lens has cost me more than a price of a brand new one, but such is life. thank god for cps discount at least.

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:25 PM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

If you want to do it yourself it's really simple, although it may mar your lens finish a bit.

1) On either side of the words "smooth" and "tighten" on the smooth tighten ring are two small screws. Around the rest of the ring are 4 small plugs that cover other screw holes.

2) You can remove the plugs with a needle or very small flat head screwdriver blade. WARNING - chances are you will tear up the plug doing this. Don't do it if you are going to freak about the mar on the finish.

3) Remove the two small screws. Rotate the smooth tighten ring to the tighten side one screw space, and replace the screws (lining them up with the smaller holes in the inside plate).

4) That's it, ring should tighten tightly now. With time the springs and things that hold the ball bearings down inside the ring wear a bit, which is why they made this so easy to do. If the plugs survived removal you can replace them in the empty holes. No glue needed. If not you can close the holes with a tiny drop of paint or glue to make sure water doesn't get inside the ring.

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:50 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Yeah I just shelled out ~$400 to repair a lens last month. Not fun.

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

kevindar wrote:
sent my 100-400L which I bought here a few months ago, b/c the tension ring was not tightening any more. a very common problem with this lens. its a uw lens, so really early failure. I have heard though that it can lead to the lens locking up. Have read here on forum that it is fixed for around 185 usually. So got my estimate today, and 360 dollars of labor repair. Holly crap. Called canon and they told me their prices have gone up for repair of L lenses as off October 1st. she said this is pretty much
...Show more

wow if 360 is the new 180 that is scary
sorry to hear that

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:06 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Rcicla you could have saved me some cash. There its paper like material that it was spiting out, and I heard there are ball bearings that can fall out and get ask over place. If that's Al it takes what they are charging is criminal

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:17 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

$360 minimum repair for all L lenses?? Whoa.

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:18 PM
matanuska
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

kevindar wrote:
sent my 100-400L which I bought here a few months ago, b/c the tension ring was not tightening any more. a very common problem with this lens. its a uw lens, so really early failure. I have heard though that it can lead to the lens locking up. Have read here on forum that it is fixed for around 185 usually. So got my estimate today, and 360 dollars of labor repair. Holly crap. Called canon and they told me their prices have gone up for repair of L lenses as off October 1st. she said this is pretty much
...Show more
Yes, I dropped my 5DII off in Irvine over the hollidays and it seems that the "standard out of warranty repair" charge is now something like $280 just for walking through the door. Then you add parts on top of that!

Fortunately the 5DII Mode Dial Modification job is still just a $100 flat fee though. Phew!

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

I recently sent my 100-400 in for AF check and calibrate, cost me $286 in November.....Gotta love inflation!

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

The current CPS flat-rate charge for that lens is $319, less your discount. That's their highest rate for lenses.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:02 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

molson wrote:
The current CPS flat-rate charge for that lens is $319, less your discount. That's their highest rate for lenses.

I would love to know how you know that. I am a cps gold member, and the rate for me is 359. I do get the cps discount. so wondering how you came up with 319

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

kevindar wrote:
Rcicla you could have saved me some cash. There its paper like material that it was spiting out, and I heard there are ball bearings that can fall out and get ask over place. If that's Al it takes what they are charging is criminal

If the gasket is falling out (night be the paperlike material) then my little fix wouldn't work and the barrel has to be replaced. There are about 6 zillion ball bearings under there and mere humans can't open it - the rotation for tightness is the only fix I know of other than replacing the part. In that case it might be worth the money - that's a pretty complex assembly.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

deepbluejh wrote:

After all, L stands for luxury...

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:53 PM
matanuska
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
I recently sent my 100-400 in for AF check and calibrate, cost me $286 in November.....Gotta love inflation!

Yep, after all, who do you think pays for that "free" return shipping?!

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

thats right, I did get a 27 free shipping to me. Thank god for the 30% discount. it already paid for my membership.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

deepbluejh wrote:

I can see it. We charge out at a $130 / hour for our technicians. Does not take long to run up $360 these days.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

kevindar wrote:
I would love to know how you know that. I am a cps gold member, and the rate for me is 359. I do get the cps discount. so wondering how you came up with 319

Molson is quoting the CPS Canada rate.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:15 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Send it to Midwest Camera Repair in Wyandotte Michigan for an estimate. The work on all canon lenses (authorized repair center) and even work on the ones Canon will not.

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:14 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon repair ouch!!!!

Holy crap maybe it's time to make the switch to the dark side they have 5 year warranty

Feb 01, 2012 at 01:18 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password