Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Sanlameer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-PowerShot-G1X-Review

Jan 31, 2012 at 05:55 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

I am somewhat disappointed that Canon hasn't made any significant progress in sensor technology since the 7D (look at the last page of the review).

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:33 PM
stargazer78
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Looking at DXO mark, the G1X sensor isn't any better than the 3-year old sensors used in the current generation of Canon APS-C cameras. Notably, the G1X sensor is only marginally better than the ones used in the Nikon 1 series, even though the Canon sensor is more than twice as big.

This does not bode well for the next generation of Canon sensors. I am particularly disturbed by the dynamic range measurement, which seems to stay on a plateau from base ISO all the way to ISO 400.

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

I think this is a glass half empty situation as those above have noted. OTOH, I'm quite pleased that I can get a G series that equals my 7D in IQ and in the tests equals or beats the other large sensor compacts. In the SNR and dynamic range tests the G1X lies half way between my G10 and my 5Ds and, as noted, equal to my 7D. Now I'm waiting for the reviews that will tell me if the G1X lens lives up to the sensor.

Jan 31, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

thedigitalbean wrote:
I am somewhat disappointed that Canon hasn't made any significant progress in sensor technology since the 7D (look at the last page of the review).

I think that's assuming to much, it assumes that the sensor in that camera is Canon's 'current state of the art'.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Access wrote:
I think that's assuming to much, it assumes that the sensor in that camera is Canon's 'current state of the art'.

I agree, Canon is probably holding back CMOS performance to keep a little thunder for the new XXD and XD lines. We'll see state of the art debut at a much higher price point...

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

s100 sensor is more efficient. 52% QE.
7D is 41%. 1d4 is 44%.

Looks like canon have gone with relatively old tech for the G1x possibly to reuse manufacturing or keep its price down?

1Dx will be interesting. They need more DR at low ISO to keep up with the competition.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Yeah I hope so too, DR is what I really want, I'm tired of things like this weekend, when I trying to pull the shadows at low ISOs and just end up with mush.

I'd guess it's about price too, or just getting the product out the door quickly. They need some kind of answer to the mirrorless craze and they can't expect to sell that many at $800.; everyone wants profit margin but it also gives them the freedom to lower the price and not have to take a loss for every camera sold.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

In other news I've played with a couple of G1x shots and cant see any banding, tho these are jpg not raw.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

If you are looking at nice compact cameras that deliver great images, take a close look at the Fuji's. I own an x100 and could not be happier with the quality of images it produces. Easily on par with what I get out of my 7d and not too far behind the 5d2.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

x100 is nice except for the usability issues, G1x is about the same but with a zoom lens and without the fuju issues (locking up, bad manual focus etc).

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:54 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Gochugogi wrote:
I agree, Canon is probably holding back CMOS performance to keep a little thunder for the new XXD and XD lines. We'll see state of the art debut at a much higher price point...

hehe, Canon's been holding back DR/shadow performance on all their APS-C and FF sensors since 2004 ;-)

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

http://www.sensorgen.info/CanonPowershot_G1X.html

QE of 38%. G1x sensor is even a small step back. Wonder if it was a budget or fast hack job?

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:05 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

RobDickinson wrote:
x100 is nice except for the usability issues, G1x is about the same but with a zoom lens and without the fuju issues (locking up, bad manual focus etc).

Haven't tried the G1x, but if the image quality is anywhere near the x100, it will be a winner. I just have my doubts the image quality will rival the x100. I have no issues using the x100 at iso 1600 and 3200 quite comfortably. The lens on the x100 is super sharp. Yes it's focus could be improved, but it has not slowed me down from using the camera as a great street photography unit as well as a take anywhere with me camera.

Had a s95 and the x100 is truly in another league.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:13 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Not surprised, the sensor in the x100 is huge and its about 4 times the weight , 4 times the cost.

If the x100 wasnt better it would be a real mess!

I quite liek the fuji's but manual focus issues and lockups etc have put me off.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

The sensor that it replaces, or the camera the G1X replaces; they are probably relying on it being compared to that. Not to the current state of the art in higher end cameras.

Who uses these cameras, and what kinds of photos do they take... it might be paltry by our standards but it's a big step up for a typical user of compacts or even the G-series.

I wish they would go back to the old lenses though, I had a G3 back in the days and I think the zoom lens was f/2.0 to f/3.3 or something like that.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:21 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Access wrote:
The sensor that it replaces, or the camera the G1X replaces; they are probably relying on it being compared to that. Not to the current state of the art in higher end cameras.

Who uses these cameras, and what kinds of photos do they take... it might be paltry by our standards but it's a big step up for a typical user of compacts or even the G-series.

I wish they would go back to the old lenses though, I had a G3 back in the days and I think the zoom lens was f/2.0 to f/3.3 or something like that.

I'm not sure the g1x replaces any camera. It is coming in at a very high price point for a p&s...out of the price range for a traditional p&s customer. It will be interesting how well it sells and if the price drops soon after hitting the market.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:27 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

f2.0 on a sensor this size would be huge

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:28 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Rob, just curious is your opinion of the X100 based on internet chatter or actual experience?

FWIW, I had an X100 for about 4 months last year. The MF was atrocious as you say but the reason was because of its fly by wire nature combined with requiring too many turns to move from MFD to infinity. Crappy MF is sadly a property shared by most (if not all) AF lens oriented systems. The most notable exceptions are the rangefinder system in the Leica M and focus peaking on bodies like the NEX when used with MF lenses.

As for the locking up issues, in the 4 months I had the camera, I didn't experience as single lockup, so I have to wonder how much of it is the internet fora amplification effect.

Oh and I should add, I got the X100 because I couldn't swing an M9 and with a 35 and I sold the X100 because as soon as I got the M9 and 35 'lux I rarely ever used the X100.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:38 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon G1X sensor compared to P&S, EVIL sensors

Having used a G1X recently followed immediately by an X10, I like the handling and feel of the X10 better (and its obviously smaller). The sensor quality on the G1X is better (at high ISO) but the lens quality on the X10 looks better to me.

I was contemplating picking up a G1X has a fairly high quality P&S with a zoom to augment my M system but after having used it, I don't think I will. I may consider the X10 now but I'm still unsure.

Feb 01, 2012 at 12:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password