New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sports Portfolio Review

redclay92
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports Portfolio Review

I'm looking to get a solid portfolio of sports esque portfolio with at least 12 pieces.

http://claytonhotze.carbonmade.com/projects/4162840#1

So do you feel any of these need to be culled?

Jan 30, 2012 at 03:52 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports Portfolio Review

I don't do sports photography, so take my comments with a grain of salt ... about the size of a cow lick. They are made from the view to general guidelines for building a portfolio. It should be brief. Only your best and strongest and selected to appeal to your specific audience. You might receive useful sports specific advice from the "Sports Corner" forum.

Hard to identify the individual images. Best I could do is count. The 9, 11, 12 and 13 are images that probably aren't helping the portfolio much. The ball carrier laying down is nice enough as part of a specific story, but is it helping you portfolio? Same question for the fan showing his shirt. A performance on a guitar? Yes, the dog is good and he's competing, but are you trying to appeal to folks that are primarily interested in human sports? If you are directing the portfolio for a specific type of sport, then you probably ought to concentrate the portfolio on that sport.

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:09 PM
redclay92
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports Portfolio Review

Ah, I should probably add a cutline to the "fan" you speak of. That is actually mizzou's starting QB James Franklin showing off at a recent basketball.
As far as the concert shot, I felt it shows being able to work with varying light.

I've been in the sports corner for a little while, and was just looking for fresh eyes.

I also updated it with numbers on the shot.

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports Portfolio Review

To me, #s 1, 2, and 4 are soft. The vocalist, is out of context for a general viewer. I'd cull the last image also. My favorite is the dog running the obstacle course except for the opening of the tunnel obstacle at the right.

Having tried some sports myself, in general I see the same overall problem that plagues me - soft images - especially compared to those often posted on the Sports forum.

My 2¢

Bob

<EDIT> Checked your Sports corner post #2 Mizzou...The images in your "portfolio" do not come close to the quality of your post, so perhaps we're losing something via the website?

Jan 30, 2012 at 09:01 PM
redclay92
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports Portfolio Review

Yeh, I think I am losing some sharpness due to the website. Do you know of any other sites that are free or very cheap that offer a really good portfolio?

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sports Portfolio Review

redclay92 wrote:
Yeh, I think I am losing some sharpness due to the website. Do you know of any other sites that are free or very cheap that offer a really good portfolio?

Nope, sorry cannot help there.

regards,

Bob

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.