FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hawaii Birds

moonyguy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hawaii Birds

Just learning bird photography. T2i + 400 5.6 L. C & C welcome. All photos were taken a few miles from my house on North Shore of Oahu.

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:24 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hawaii Birds

The first and last for me. Keep at it, youll learn and improve.
Douglas

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:45 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hawaii Birds

You are off to a great start. I like your eye for compositions and you are paying attention to the backgrounds It would be a big help if you kept the EXIF data intact, knowing your settings helps us to make intelligent comments. I see the shutter speed on the first is pretty low 1/125 at 400mm. A rule of thumb is to have the shutter speed the same if not faster than the length of the lens. In this case a good starting point would be 1/400 if not faster. That may help you to produce sharper images.

Tim

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hawaii Birds

Some good looking shots to learn from! Well done.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hawaii Birds

Nice ones, one suggestion if you have photoshop is to darkend the background a little in number 3. My eye is drawn to the lightest area which takes attention away from the subject. Bruce

Jan 28, 2012 at 02:41 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hawaii Birds

nicely done, #1 & 4 for me, great to see different birds from around the world

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:26 PM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hawaii Birds

Thanks a lot everyone. I am still new to photoshop so usually I am not doing much post processing so my keeper rate is low

Tim: Spent the day today shooting some birds with your suggestions lets see if I did better.

I am shooting Av mode at ISO 800-1600 to keep exposure higher than 1/400 but the light drops so I tried 1 stop exposure comp but ended with grainy pictures. Not sure if this has to do with T2i or just using exp. comp. in general.

Jan 29, 2012 at 01:41 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hawaii Birds

nice ones.. #1 for me

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:47 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hawaii Birds

Very Nice. Now where's the Nene and the Honey creepers?

Dave

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:07 AM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hawaii Birds

Dave...Honey Creeper is coming next. I hiked 7 miles yesterday to get a single 'okay' shot of one...and also managed to get my first trespass warning from DLNR. May be I should invest a feeder...na that would be too easy!

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hawaii Birds

moonyguy wrote:
Thanks a lot everyone. I am still new to photoshop so usually I am not doing much post processing so my keeper rate is low

Tim: Spent the day today shooting some birds with your suggestions lets see if I did better.

I am shooting Av mode at ISO 800-1600 to keep exposure higher than 1/400 but the light drops so I tried 1 stop exposure comp but ended with grainy pictures. Not sure if this has to do with T2i or just using exp. comp. in general.

When light is low set Lighting Optimizer to the Standard setting without using exposure comp. Do not worry much about background noise. If the focus subject has descent noise level you can reduce the background noise with a noise reduction in PS or any other noise reduction programs.

Jude

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.