New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

langdoy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

Anyone use them and what's the difference between the two? I'm looking to get one but I didn't really find documentation on what the difference is (other than the grid of course). The EG-D is 'precision' while the EG-S is 'super precision'.

I'd like to get the benefits of the focus improvements and would like to have grid lines, but would sacrifice the grid lines if the EG-S has better focus, or you can see a bigger improvement.

Any thoughts?

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:15 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

The way the EG-S is ground, it accentuates the difference between areas in focus and out of focus. More noticeable than the EG-D...which is basically the stock screen with a grid.

The cost is lower light transmission with slower lenses. (Or if you put filtration on that cuts light.) The viewfinder can get kinda of dark with slower lenses, although I can say I dont have any issues with my 70-200 f/4 IS when using it.

-Tim

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:27 PM
langdoy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

tsdevine wrote:
The way the EG-S is ground, it accentuates the difference between areas in focus and out of focus. More noticeable than the EG-D...which is basically the stock screen with a grid.

The cost is lower light transmission with slower lenses. (Or if you put filtration on that cuts light.) The viewfinder can get kinda of dark with slower lenses, although I can say I dont have any issues with my 70-200 f/4 IS when using it.

-Tim

I just read elsewhere that the EG-D was pretty much the standard with grid lines. I assumed that it would have also helped with focusing also rather than just having it because of the grid.

Does it go dark on a faster lens, but stop down to lets say f/8? I don't have a lens slower than 2.8. I guess it would make sense to get the EG-S and just deal with no grid huh?

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:42 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

Are you planning to MF fast lenses? That's the only reason I'd install the EG-S. I do have both screens, and usually leave in the EG-S even though I really like having the grid lines.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:43 PM
langdoy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

mco_970 wrote:
Are you planning to MF fast lenses? That's the only reason I'd install the EG-S. I do have both screens, and usually leave in the EG-S even though I really like having the grid lines.

Don't MF much at all. Is the EG-S not a good idea then if I don't MF?

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:44 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

What do you think you will gain with the EG-S screen?

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:48 PM
langdoy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

surf monkey wrote:
What do you think you will gain with the EG-S screen?

A better view of focus points and what is really in focus. Saves a bit of time from previewing and shooting again. I've had a few moments where I shot, previewed to see it was not in focus, and went to shoot again but moment was gone. (mostly with kids).

Not the right reason to get the screen?

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

I have the Ec-D and Ec-S which are the same but for the 1 series bodies.
The Ec-S (EG-S) screen will make it a little bit more easy to do MF. Especially if you use fast lenses.
Canon say it's " It’s ideally suited for use with f/2.8 and faster lenses, especially for manual focusing"

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:59 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

langdoy wrote:
I'd like to get the benefits of the focus improvements and would like to have grid lines,

Since you state that you do not MF very much I am not sure why you are asking about this screen. The focus sensor lies at the bottom of the camera before the focus screen. There are no focus improvements if you do not use MF.

[Edit] - OK I see that you are trying to use it to assess if AF is truly in focus.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM
langdoy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

galenapass wrote:
Since you state that you do not MF very much I am not sure why you are asking about this screen. The focus sensor lies at the bottom of the camera before the focus screen. There are no focus improvements if you do not use MF.

[Edit] - OK I see that you are trying to use it to assess if AF is truly in focus.

I'm just researching and reading that some people are suggesting that it actually helps in not just MF and making sure something is in focus, but it actually changes the DOF to be more pronounced like it should and AF is improved.

Seems like I do have to think about it more before I buy. I don't want to deal with the brightness on the viewfinder and especially since it might not help me too much if I don't MF often. Thanks everyone for the info. It's hard to trust some of the reviews and comments on other sites about how this really helps.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

langdoy wrote:
some people are suggesting that it actually helps in not just MF and making sure something is in focus, but it actually changes the DOF to be more pronounced like it should and AF is improved.

Changing focusing screens will not affect AF performance in the least. The AF sensor is below the mirror while the focusing screen affects light going above the mirror to the eyepiece. The screen such as the Eg-S will diminish the viewfinder brightness with slower (F4-5.6) lenses. The normal exposure sensor is in the pentaprism area, so switching to an Ex-S screen does require changing the Custom Function.

As a double check of AF accuracy you might consider switching to Live View 5X. 10X is pretty jiggly without a tripod.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EG-D vs EG-S Focusing Screens

langdoy wrote:
Don't MF much at all. Is the EG-S not a good idea then if I don't MF?

The only way I see it helping for what you want is if you are shooting fast lenses wide open, or near to it. I used mine mostly with my 50 1.2 Oly lens. Once you get much past f/2.8 or so, the screen actually starts making everything a bit darker so it may work against you if you are shooting stopped down by very much.

I think if you are shooting moving objects like kids and using AF, it's not going to be that much help for focus checking unless you work at being proficient with MF skills & are blessed with good eyesight to begin with... I work at it, and still have lots of misses.

But it's not that expensive to try. You can always sell it on B&S and get most of your money back if it's not your cup of tea.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.