Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

PaulB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

reno.peterson wrote:
I'm sending it to Canon for a clean/check and calibration, if it comes back worse I'll seriously consider that straight trade option...

I'd check with Canon before I sent it - I'm sure they won't service it.
There are other repairers who will. but why bother if it works OK? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it........"

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

PaulB wrote:
I'd check with Canon before I sent it - I'm sure they won't service it.
There are other repairers who will. but why bother if it works OK? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it........"

he means he's sending in the mk2 IS not his pipe (which he doesn't have anymore)

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:10 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

metagraphica wrote:
Hi All, I was lucky enough to buy the immaculate MDP from PeaktoPeek that he got from PetKal last year.

Wow, what a lens!

I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer to my question in the topic so I figured I'd ask as I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

The Pipe sure is one great lens, an engineering success story almost in the 200 f/1.8 league, for the times, that is. If it wasn't for the Stabpipe, the Pipe would still rule the 70-200 family.
(Gee, my ex-Pipes sure get around........share a good thing, I say. )

Just to confirm what has been suggested to you already: the Pipe was not designed to be weather/water/dust proof, whatever that might mean, at least Canon specs do not address that.
How poorly it might fare in some sort of rain, we do not really know and we are not likely to test it either.

The new 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII is specified by Canon as being " weather resistant", whatever that might mean. How well the Stabpipe would do in some type of water exposure, we do not really know either, because Canon's specifications are vague/non-existent on that, and what sane user is going to test such an expensive lens for its water penetration resistance ?

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:42 PM
metagraphica
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

PetKal wrote:
(Gee, my ex-Pipes sure get around........share a good thing, I say. )

Just to confirm what has been suggested to you already: the Pipe was not designed to be weather/water/dust proof, whatever that might mean, at least Canon specs do not address that.
How poorly it might fare in some sort of rain, we do not really know and we are not likely to test it either.

Pete, Thanks for sharing your MDP's. I'm very happy I was able to get this one.

I'll be sure to wrap my Pipe in a raincoat before taking it in to any wet environments.
(err...that doesn't really sound right does it? )

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:54 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

I'll be sure to wrap my Pipe in a raincoat before taking it in to any wet environments.
Probably a real good idea for safe shooting

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:02 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

metagraphica wrote:
(err...that doesn't really sound right does it? )

I suggest you get a good protective filter for the lens (such as a B&W UV filter, and it doesn't have to be the expensive MRC type) for the following reasons:

(1) Minimize the chance of rainwater getting into the lens.
(2) Protect a very exposed front element from various incidents such as car keys coming in contact with it, a tree branch poking into it, etc.

Enjoy your fine lens and post some pictures when you get a chance.

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:12 PM
metagraphica
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Probably a real good idea for safe shooting

That's what we all want, "safe shooting". Follow the legs.....errr.....light, yeah follow the light.

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

I've checked my archive images again, and looked for differences between comparable shots taken with the Pipe, the Stabpipe and the Snout (aka 200 f/2.8 prime).

The differences are not large and sometimes they are even subtle.

The performance of the prime and the Stabpipe is very close at 200mm wide open. Perhaps the Stabpipe is slightly sharper, but the prime has a bit faster AF.

The Pipe is somewhat inferior to those two when it comes to sharpness as well as AF, but it is at least as good regarding bokeh which is one area where the Pipe trully excells.

If you look at these three similar shots of fast moving targets, in rather poor light, FL 200mm at f/2.8, you'd be hard pressed to guess which lens took which shot, so I might as well list them :

(1) 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII
(2) 80-200L
(3) 200 f/2.8

Let me tell you, if you need a short/mid range fast zoom, a good and well preserved Pipe still represents a wonderful value for your money. (If you only need 200mm f/2.8, the prime is also very cost effective.)

Edited on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GC5
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

Petkal, from those (websized) shots, the 200 prime looks the sharpest, but it sure is impressive how the 70-200 did considering it appears to have had the hardest AF challenge of those shots. I'd guess that you would get far fewer keepers from the Pipe in that situation.

All great lenses without a doubt. I'd buy DigitalBug's for a 30% markup on the spot.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

GC5 wrote:
Petkal, from those (websized) shots, the 200 prime looks the sharpest, but it sure is impressive how the 70-200 did considering it appears to have had the hardest AF challenge of those shots. I'd guess that you would get far fewer keepers from the Pipe in that situation. All great lenses without a doubt. I'd buy DigitalBug's for a 30% markup on the spot.

Yes, that is a good comment. The shot #1 is hard enough for the best Canon's focuser for that type of application: 135L.

The Pipe would not be the best choice for that shot type for sure, although I did get a few in the past, but that took some work.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:10 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

err no.
since the MDP there has been 3 70-200/2.8's . the new mk2 IS is the only one I'd even consider giving up my pipe for

Have that one and love it!

Ian's got it right of course. I just want to bug you...

Go Pats!

And that's just downright mean!

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

Jan 27, 2012 at 01:31 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

I like to think that the copy of the MDP that Peter sold me was the sharpest of the lot, therefore in future Peter, perhaps it's best to only offer images from your archive that were taken using 'my' 80-200!

Jan 27, 2012 at 02:06 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

Cam, I shall do that.

Jan 27, 2012 at 02:27 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is the magic drainpipe water resistant/sealed?

PetKal out of interest do you still own any pipes these days? It seems like you've procured many copies over the years

Jan 27, 2012 at 07:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password