Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta?

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta?

Has anyone noticed that the Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta and less saturated than the R1800? I was trying to duplicate the light blues of a glacier and viewing the prints side by side, this is my conclusion. I have Calibrated both with Color Munki.

Also, Luminous landscape mentions that the Epson 4900 has a 22% bigger gamut and increased density range. I'm betting the R1800 also has a larger gamut as well. Could this be the reason for the lavender tint?

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta?

Norman - More than likely, it's the quality of your profile(s). Blues that lean toward magenta have always been a problem and while most software packages try and anticipate that, they're not always perfect and sometimes require a minor profile edit. Unfortunately, X-Rite no longer sees fit to include an editing module in their software. The old ProfileMaker Edit was the best out there. If you send me your profile, I'll be more than happy to look at it and made a quick edit for you.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta?

Thanks Peter,
I never knew that the blues that lean magenta have always been a problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the R180, also profiled with the Color Munki. Could this be the reason that the Epson Perceptual Profile looks Turquoise? I bet they tweaked it. I didn't want to use it because of that. I want my own. How would I send you my profile - Just copy and paste?

Do you think this blue with magenta tint problem is evident with the Epson 4900 Profiles as well?

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta?

It all depends on the profiling software. It used to be more prevalent fifteen years ago, so I'm surprised that you're seeing it now, but anything is possible. There are so many combinations of printers, printer drivers, operating systems, profiling softwares and their internal options, spectrophotometers - non filtered, uv filter and polarized that any one variable can send things crashing down.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 3880 prints very slightly magenta?

Thanks Peter,

I was able to optimize my profile in ColorMunki so the blue is a little better, however the darks got a little darker and I think it has a hair more contrast.

Jan 28, 2012 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.