New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Off-color

gravelhighway

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off-color

I took a candid photo of my beloved Lab/Weim mix Rosco. However, the soft white flood lights made the black (with a slight tint of brown) fur on his face bounce an orange color. Is there a way to correct this without effecting the color of his eyes?

(I'm VERY new to photography and even newer to photo editing. I'm using PSP Photo X3 for editing).

Thanks in advance!

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off-color

First things first ... WELCOME TO FM !!!

FM ROCKS !!!

The short answer is yes. There are a couple ways to go about it, but I'll need to dust off my PSP X3 and see if I can remember where things are /different from PS.

Jan 23, 2012 at 06:58 PM
gravelhighway

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off-color

Wow, that's amazing... thank you! I guess that I need to break down and purchase Photoshop eventually!

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off-color

gravelhighway wrote:
Wow, that's amazing... thank you! I guess that I need to break down and purchase Photoshop eventually!

I suggest you also look at Lightroom. You can download a trial copy.

To me, LR has an easier workflow. For instance, if I take a series of photos, like your pup, and correct the color balance in one, I can easily apply that color balance to the rest of the photos taken under the same lighting conditions. A lot of the functions I did in Photoshop I now do in Lightroom.

I think it's best to own both. I take a photo up from LR into PS to do more sophisticated corrections. With PS, as AuntiPode demonstrated, you can create layers. These layers can be used for all sorts of corrections.

One nice thing about layers is that with masking, you can apply a correction to only part of the image. For instance, I've been scanning in some family negatives, some over 100 years old! There was one I was working on where the contrast on part of the right side of the negative didn't match that of the left side. If I fixed the contrast for this area overall, it would make the rest of the image too contrasty. I created a new layer with a mask so that contrast adjustments would only affect the areas not masked. I then applied the contrast just to the area that needed it. Now the entire image is correct.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off-color

For reference, I learned some Photoshop before there was a Lightroom. I bought a copy of LR, but I confess I still haven't attempted to learn it. My technology inertia is very high. Just because I use PS doesn't mean one can't accomplish the same with other tools. It's just the tool I know, ... somewhat. And BTW, I found PS enormously difficult and frustrating to learn. Had to take some class work from Sean Duggan to wrap my mind around it enough to actual accomplish anything.

Jan 24, 2012 at 02:45 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off-color

AuntiPode wrote:
For reference, I learned some Photoshop before there was a Lightroom.

Me too. I've had PS for some time now. I need to bone up on PS, there's so much that it can do that's beyond my present skill level. I'm still getting to know the in's and out's of LR, it is also pretty powerful.

While PS can be daunting, it can still be put to use by newcomers. You just grow into it.

Jan 24, 2012 at 03:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off-color

You can do the same in PSP ... I used X2 for about a year as my learning tool before switching over to PS. Concepts are the same, interface is different and PS has more advanced things like LAB and 32 bit ... but that's stuff you don't need for starting out just yet (maybe never).

If you KNOW that you are going to be getting PS someday, then make it sooner than later so that you don't have to "shift gears" due to the interface differences. If you are just dabbling to learn ... PSP can get you learning the CONCEPTS for a bargain price. Of course, LR is a little different animal that can handle most things pretty well for some folks too.

Jan 24, 2012 at 03:27 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.