1       2       3              17      
       19              29       30       end

Archive 2012 · 5Dx in the wild?

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · 5Dx in the wild?

artsupreme wrote:
They are right down here in OC (I own a aquatech) and work with Canon so I wouldn't be surprised if they might have gotten some good info...but nothing's for sure until it's official.

Or they are just trying to draw traffic to their page...

maybe it is for traffic, CR says "Housing companies are notorious for “leaking” [bogus] information for traffic, which I just did."

the specs do appear to be unusual

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:00 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · 5Dx in the wild?

skibum5 wrote:
of course making 22MP when you already developed an 18MP sensor seems odd, although maybe they feared marketing impact of dropping down, still.... and 7.5fps does seem faster than expected.... but why would Aquatech every lie?

hmmm.... Ashton Kutcher works for Nikon no? Maybe he has brought Punk'd back to life and this will be the first new episode.

Maybe it will have this crazy fast fps and some really souped up AF and video and only lose to D800 on MP and since 22MP really is a pretty decent number, 7.5fps gripless, top AF, 22MP might beat 36MP, top and
...Show more

Who cares who beats who? They are just cameras for the vast majority of people. If you own Canon stock...then I can understand your need to "beat" Nikon, but then this is the wrong forum for investment discussions.

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · 5Dx in the wild?

chez wrote:
Who cares who beats who? They are just cameras for the vast majority of people. If you own Canon stock...then I can understand your need to "beat" Nikon, but then this is the wrong forum for investment discussions.

You are misreading things.
I'm obviously not a blind Canon fanboy who has to have Canon beat Nikon.
If you are going to speculate on what they may do in terms of specs you have to get into their strategies.
And you forget the main point that if they had done something to whip Nikon in the past it would've been a nice, nice camera for us to use.

If Canon comes out and beats Nikon in a big way then it would mean you could get a much nicer camera and stick with the same UI and lenses no?

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:52 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · 5Dx in the wild?

joeisayo wrote:
Lars,

It's clear to me looking at your pbase/flicker site you shoot very leisurely photos.
It's clear to me you have no deadline, timeline, or demand from a client, publisher who needs it in focus the on the first attempt.
Please refrain telling everyone else who shoots with 5D MK II's that we need to get an $8000 four year old camera in order to get better AF.

Please continue your leisurely pace.

I don't even have a flickr site with my photo's And if I had one. I would not upload photo's from client's or publisher's like you write. You don't really have a clue how it works here

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:10 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · 5Dx in the wild?

skibum5 wrote:
You are misreading things.
I'm obviously not a blind Canon fanboy who has to have Canon beat Nikon.
If you are going to speculate on what they may do in terms of specs you have to get into their strategies.
And you forget the main point that if they had done something to whip Nikon in the past it would've been a nice, nice camera for us to use.

If Canon comes out and beats Nikon in a big way then it would mean you could get a much nicer camera and stick with the same UI and lenses no?

Today's cameras are all very capable of producing amazing photos. The new up and coming cameras will just improve on this. I am in my Canon system for the long haul. If there is something lacking in today's camera, it will be available tomorrow. I just go out and take photos with what I have in hand. Getting caught up in the "feature race" distracts from my photography. I like to keep abreast of the new things...but I don't let new cameras make me lust for the latest greatest. Then again, most of my photography is landscapes which the 5d2 does just fine.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · 5Dx in the wild?

skibum5 wrote:
it may with the D800 though, we will see

You are comparing two non existing cameras

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · 5Dx in the wild?

RobertLynn wrote:
It's weird about te gps and wifi...I couldn't care less about either.

+1

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · 5Dx in the wild?

chez wrote:
Today's cameras are all very capable of producing amazing photos. The new up and coming cameras will just improve on this. I am in my Canon system for the long haul. If there is something lacking in today's camera, it will be available tomorrow. I just go out and take photos with what I have in hand. Getting caught up in the "feature race" distracts from my photography. I like to keep abreast of the new things...but I don't let new cameras make me lust for the latest greatest. Then again, most of my photography is landscapes which the 5d2
...Show more

+100

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:27 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · 5Dx in the wild?

Well, whatever comes down the road, I know what will make me open my wallet or stick with my 5DII. I hope Canon knows what I want, will see soon enough.

And if it was a 1D size body, then that would be an epic deal breaker. Glad to hear the eosfun news on that.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · 5Dx in the wild?

timpdx wrote:
Well, whatever comes down the road, I know what will make me open my wallet or stick with my 5DII. I hope Canon knows what I want, will see soon enough.

And if it was a 1D size body, then that would be an epic deal breaker. Glad to hear the eosfun news on that.

I seriously doubt they'll release anything that will make me want to sell my 1Ds2

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · 5Dx in the wild?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
You are comparing two non existing cameras

So are all 90 pages on this thread and about 15% of the posts to this forum in general.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · 5Dx in the wild?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
1D III AF is superb. Most didn't have issues or were fixed. Mine is easily best AF I've used including 1D II and 7D.

For some it was "the best of times" for others it was the "worst of times".

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:44 PM
coranda
• •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · 5Dx in the wild?

Hrow wrote:

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · 5Dx in the wild?

Hrow wrote:

Best of times for me.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · 5Dx in the wild?

skibum5 wrote:
So are all 90 pages on this thread and about 15% of the posts to this forum in general.

No they are NOT. Are you really saying that all posts in this thread are comparing those two non existing cameras Nearly every post I have been reading is just about the "new Canon camera"

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM
coranda
• •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · 5Dx in the wild?

I can understand people wanting an improved AF in a new 5D, I can even understand their wanting a 'significant' improvement. However, calls for the 5D to have a "pro"-AF are just not realistic in the current product line. Canon make it pretty clear that only their 1-series bodies are pro cameras - the 5D is not a pro camera. In this part of the world owning at least one 1-series body is a requirment for Gold CPS membership. I know that's not the case in the US but I also notice a lot of people complaining that the US CPS programme is, in practice, no longer limited to pros.

I'm not trying to criticise anyone here for wanting as much as they can get for as little money as possible. I just think Canon's philosophy is "pro" features are for "pro" bodies and that's only the 1-series.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · 5Dx in the wild?

coranda wrote:
I can understand people wanting an improved AF in a new 5D, I can even understand their wanting a 'significant' improvement. However, calls for the 5D to have a "pro"-AF are just not realistic in the current product line. Canon make it pretty clear that only their 1-series bodies are pro cameras - the 5D is not a pro camera. In this part of the world owning at least one 1-series body is a requirment for Gold CPS membership. I know that's not the case in the US but I also notice a lot of people complaining that the US
...Show more

I don't know...for a "non-pro" camera, there's a staggering amount of pro's using it. Studio, sports, big time wedding guys, PJ, etc....

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · 5Dx in the wild?

coranda wrote:
I can understand people wanting an improved AF in a new 5D, I can even understand their wanting a 'significant' improvement. However, calls for the 5D to have a "pro"-AF are just not realistic in the current product line. Canon make it pretty clear that only their 1-series bodies are pro cameras - the 5D is not a pro camera. In this part of the world owning at least one 1-series body is a requirment for Gold CPS membership. I know that's not the case in the US but I also notice a lot of people complaining that the US
...Show more
Hey...cps is a points system now.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM
coranda
• •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · 5Dx in the wild?

@Chad S
I'm not saying pros don't use the 5D or lesser cameras. I'm just saying that Canon's marketing does not define the 5D as a pro camera so they are unlikely to give it what they consider to be pro features.

@RobertLynn
In Australia CPS conditions are as follows:

"To qualify for a CPS Gold Membership you need to have purchased a minimum of a Canon 1D series and 5D series body, three L-series lens, and be a full-time, professional photographer. You will need to show proof-of-purchase and equipment must have been purchased from a Canon Professional Dealer in Australia."

"To qualify for a CPS Silver Membership you need to have purchased a minimum of two Canon 5D series bodies, two L-series lenses and be a full-time, professional photographer. You will need to show proof-of-purchase, and equipment must have been purchased from a Canon Professional Dealer in Australia."

So the view of Canon Australia (admittedly a very small part of Canon's market) is that you can't even be a pro without at least two 5Ds.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · 5Dx in the wild?

RobertLynn wrote:
It's weird about te gps and wifi...I couldn't care less about either.

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
+1

That's what they said about video, too.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.