New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

Hi,

I have a tripod mount for a 28-300mm that has gotten slippery over time. It still holds the lens but just not tight enough to prevent slipping.

I tried going to my local fabric store to find some sticky fabric that I can use to replace the existing fabric but unfortunately came back home with nothing.

Does anyone have a good solution to fix this problem?

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

You mean the tripod collar, right?

It shouldn't be either slipping (allowing the lens to rotate), or bind and grind. When finger tightened, the collar should lock the lens in place without difficulty. If it is slipping/rotating it may have gotten some sort of lubricant on the contact surfaces. Try cleaning with rubbing alcohol inside the collar and the outer lens surface.

Hope that helps.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

Yep. The tripod collar!

There is slippage here and I've tried cleaning the felt cloth that lines the collar with alcohol. No use. I think I just need to replace the felt somehow.

I'll do some more searching online

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

I bought felt and relined the tripod ring mount for my EF 300 4L USM. Cleaned off the old felt and glued on the new felt with Aleene's Super Fabric glue. It wasn't slipping but metal was starting to show. That was a couple years back and it still works like new. I've also replaced the cork on old tripod QR plates and they were like new as well.

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:36 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

Thank you. The fabric glue is what i was looking for. I asked the fabric store and they told me what they have in store will not work for sticking fabric onto metal.

Jan 23, 2012 at 03:55 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fix for slipping tripod mount

Aleene's Super Fabric glue is sold at better hobby and fabric stores. It's even washable...

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.