Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1d series and tripod

DizzelDel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1d series and tripod

Im looking joining the ranks of 1d user out there (mark III), but I have a simple question. When backpacking and traveling I use a lightweight Giottos MT9241 tripod, Im worried that when in vertical position the weight of the camera may tip the light tripod. Is my only option hooking weight to the center column hook?

Thx!

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 1d series and tripod

Do you have an L bracket for the body?

EBH

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:46 PM
DizzelDel
• • •
p.1 #3 · 1d series and tripod

no but that would pretty much solve the problem wouldnt it? i could keep the head in the horizontal position and just switch the camera. i should have thought of this.

Jan 21, 2012 at 05:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 1d series and tripod

I'm very happy with RRS L-brackets on my 1DsIII and 1DIV. I used the same bracket for my 1DIII, before I moved to the 1DIV.

Jan 21, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1d series and tripod

Some tripods open out with the legs at a more stable 45 degrees. Others do about 30 deg or about 60 deg, with one being not as stable and the other being too flat and flexible.

You could also make an effort to always keep one leg of the tripod pointing to the side in which the camera / tripod head will be rotated, so that there is better support in that direction.

A weight hanging from the tripod can be beneficial no matter what tripod / camera / lens combination you are using.

The L bracket is for rotating the camera but it requires that the bracket be disconnected, reoriented, and reconnected. That can be a nuisance if you are changing between portrait and landscape orientation often enough. The L bracket is not needed if you use a lens that has its own tripod collar.

- Alan

Jan 21, 2012 at 05:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password