Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Planning a yearly trip to Florida and I thought I'd drive from Savannah down to Palm Beach County. Any of you been to the Alligator farm late winter? Is it worth a trip? I'd probably continue to Merritt Island, Viera Wetlands and eventually Green Cay and Wakodahatchee (where I go frequently).
Other stops along the way?

thanks
Scott

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:31 PM
z06jim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

I haven't been during the winter months but was at the Alligator Farm the later part of April last year and it was fantastic. Hundreds of birds at very close range! The annual 'Birding & Photo Fest' is also going on at that time which is a 'must attend' event.
Maybe somebody else will help out on the time you're planning on going.

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:46 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

that's too early for the gator farm....early March at the very earliest.....peak is mid May

I am headed that way 1st week of Feb and I will do Viera, Circle B, Cape Coral, Ding and then Ft Desoto

PM me if you wanna meet up somewhere along the way

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Thanks Jim and Randy.
Looks like my timing might be a bit off.
If I do the drive I'm now thinking I will concentrate on Merritt Island and Viera Wetlands on my ride south.

Scott

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM
thunderbird
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Scott,
Merritt Island is very productive right now. I took Conrad there 3 days ago, and found 17 Spoonbills, some at full frame range. Thousands of waterfowl, plus the usual variety of wading birds and raptors.
At Viera Wetlands, nesting activities have already started for Great Blue Herons, Anhingas, and some cormorants. Sandhill Cranes, Caracaras, Bald Eagles, Hooded Mergansers, Ospreys, almost all of FL's wading birds can be seen: Tricolor, Green, Black-crowned, Little Blue, Snowy, Great, Cattle egrets/herons, Limpkin, Ibises...

One hidden gem along your way might be the Lake Woodruff NWR. A lot of activities going on there, including Red-shouldered Hawks, Sandhill Cranes, etc. And in the surrounding areas, there are 1000 Waxwings and 1000 Robins.

You could also find Painted Buntings, Cardinals, Blue Jays, and many songbirds at Big Talbot Island Park near Jacksonville.

If you're going as far south as Fort Lauderdale, it might be worth it to go another hour further to take an airboat ride out of Everglades NP. You might see things that you won't see at other places.

Good luck.
Andy

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:24 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Andy,
Thanks. Very helpful, reassuring, and detailed. Besides the Wildlife Drive, any favorite spots at Merritt?
I will end in Highland Beach and usually do a daily early AM trip to Wakodahatchee and Green Cay. I've walked some embankments at Loxahatchee but been disappointed with the finds and the backgrounds. And I have done the Anhingha trail many times.
Where are you suggesting I enter the 'Glades?
Scott

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Scott.
On Merritt Island, near Black Point Drive, is a road called the Bio Lab road. You might find that interesting also. a large Cougar passed behind our car the the one behind us. You can get directions from the Rangers at the Merritt Island visitors center. When you come out of Titusville going towards Merritt Island, the road splits to the left to go to Black point drive, as you turn, on your left are some ponds full of different birds. You will see a dirt road to you left after your turn on the highway. Try that road back into the ponds. If you havent been to Shark Valley in the glades, i would recomment that. The backgrounds are worse that Anhinga trail, but its full of birds and gators. Really rather dangerous with the gators all around you. Get there early, as parking is at a premium. They close the place when its full .
Good luck
Harry Palmer

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Harry,
Thanks for the detailed advice.
Just what I needed.

Scott

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:26 AM
MYCO66

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

Read your reply to sbeme about going to Fla. I'm going next week to Venice, Ding and Ft. DeSoto. Where at Cape Coral do you shoot? Thanks

Myron

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:19 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · St Augustine Alligator Farm in Feb-March?

MYCO66 wrote:
Read your reply to sbeme about going to Fla. I'm going next week to Venice, Ding and Ft. DeSoto. Where at Cape Coral do you shoot? Thanks

Myron

jim(aka z06jim) told me around the library for owls

i'm at viera, circle b, cape coral and ding next week so maybe we'll see each other
i'm the old guy with the big mustache

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.