New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 35mm

donsj3cub
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 35mm

I bought a 35f1.4l from adorama and found it to be not tack sharp. Sent it back and got a second. Still not sharp. Has anyone had the same prob. I rented one from lensprotogo and that was extremely tack sharp.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:37 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 35mm

Did you use live view to test it and can you post a sample.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 35mm

I bought a used 35/1.4L last year and it wasn't so good. In fact, it was carp at close range. I sent it in to CPS Canada for a CLA, and now it's exactly as expected - sweet!

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:44 PM
donsj3cub
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 35mm

no i didn't. i'll post some pics tomorrow after our big snow coming

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:45 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 35mm

Did you check it using manual focusing also? Did you try the micro adjust to see if that would improve it? Canon will adjust the focusing also if you send it in to them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:46 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 35mm

donsj3cub wrote:
I bought a 35f1.4l from adorama and found it to be not tack sharp. Sent it back and got a second. Still not sharp. ...I rented one from lensprotogo and that was extremely tack sharp.

Because of the very narrow depth of field at f/1.4, fast lenses are very sensitive to manufacturing tolerances. If two out of three lenses weren't sharp, it may be that the combination of tolerances in the lens and the camera are adding up to an out of range total.

If that's the case, having the camera and lens calibrated by a Canon service center may help.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:49 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 35mm

would like to see pics as well.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:50 PM
donsj3cub
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 35mm

I talked to a Canon tech and he said the same thing send it to adjust it. There is a micro adjustment we can adjust? Manual was a tiny bit better but not to where I would call it sharp

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 35mm

donsj3cub wrote:
...There is a micro adjustment we can adjust?

On newer Canon bodies, yes, but not on older ones.

Jan 20, 2012 at 05:09 PM
dehrk

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 35mm

BrianO wrote:
Because of the very narrow depth of field at f/1.4, fast lenses are very sensitive to manufacturing tolerances.

There's a very interesting article for anyone interested in this sort of thing.

Jan 20, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 35mm

donsj3cub wrote:
I bought a 35f1.4l from adorama and found it to be not tack sharp. Sent it back and got a second. Still not sharp. Has anyone had the same prob. I rented one from lensprotogo and that was extremely tack sharp.

Very likely lensprotogo performs regular maintenance on their rental stock and has it calibrated for optimal performance. If you're lucky, you might get one that works well with your camera but more often than not you need to calibrate--sometimes both lens and camera--for best performance.

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:21 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 35mm

It's also very easy to miss focus shooting at very wide aperatures. It doesn't take much movement to blow your intended focus spot.

That said, my 35l is very sharp. Try testing on a tripod with liveview focus. If that's sharp, you are down to either an AF problem or user error.

Jan 21, 2012 at 03:06 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 35mm

My 35L is very sharp at f/1.4, but you have to get the focus just right at that aperture. Sometimes I have to take a couple of shots because I would move ever so slightly, which is enough to throw it off. At f/1.4, your DOF is very small.

I would second the suggestion of trying a shot on a tripod.

Jan 21, 2012 at 04:02 PM
donsj3cub
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 35mm

Tried tripod. With the lensprotogo lens being very sharp I guess the next option is to send it in. I tried manual and af today. To me still looks soft. I'll try to put some shots on tonight.

Jan 21, 2012 at 05:48 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 35mm

Send it back.

Jan 21, 2012 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.