New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sticky quick control dial

BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sticky quick control dial

The quick control dial on my 7D has started to stick a bit (just not moving as smoothly as it used to). Rather than taking it to Canon and blow $180 for what is probably a simple fix, I'm thinking of applying some silicone spray lubricant in the space between the edge of the dial and the body. Any suggestions as to whether this is wise? Any other suggestions on how to deal with the problem?

TIA,

John

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sticky quick control dial

I wouldn't shoot pressurized liquid spray into a camera as it can easily invade places you don't want it to go. Albeit, I seem to recall, the QCD having a gasket to help keep out water. If grit has gotten between the dial and body, I would dissemble and carefully clean it and not blast...

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:56 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sticky quick control dial

If grit has gotten between the dial and body, I would dissemble and carefully clean it and not blast...

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. Any advice on disassembly? It looks like there are seven small Philipshead screws holding the back on the camera (three screws on the bottom and four underneath the eye cup). Would it just be a matter of removing those screws and lifting off the back to get access to the internal parts of the quick control dial?

Thanks again,

John

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sticky quick control dial

BluesWest wrote:
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. Any advice on disassembly? It looks like there are seven small Philipshead screws holding the back on the camera (three screws on the bottom and four underneath the eye cup). Would it just be a matter of removing those screws and lifting off the back to get access to the internal parts of the quick control dial?

Thanks again,

John

John, I believe you'll find a couple of more screws underneath the grip rubber. Peel it off carefully, leave it sticky side up, and it will usually stick back down just fine.

When you have the rear plate off there are two large flex cables attaching the back to the main PCB. Undo the latches, slip the flex out, and then you can turn the back upside down and you'll see the inside of the quick control dial.

I've found spraying a little contact cleaner like Deoxit on the inside of the dial and rolling it around a few times usually takes care of it. I wouldn't try disassembling the dial unless you're really handy - there's a lot of little parts inside there.

If you're really careful (especially if you have another pair of hands to help) you might be able to get some cleaner onto the dial without disconnecting the flex. The only danger is in damaging the flex cables / connectors. If you do, it's off to Canon for a main PCB replacement.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:29 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sticky quick control dial

it will usually stick back down just fine.

Well, the use of the word "usually" worries me a little!

But thanks to both of you for this information. Now I just have to decide if I have the courage to take the camera apart, or whether a trip to the Canon service center is in order.

John

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:21 PM
iGeekPro
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sticky quick control dial

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/canon-7d-ir

Might be quite a bit useful.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:31 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sticky quick control dial

BluesWest wrote:
Well, the use of the word "usually" worries me a little!

John

If it doesn't you can use some rubber cement as a temporary fix. You can buy replacement double-side tape for the grips on eBay if you need it.

For that matter, you can also buy a replacement back panel complete with all the switches for about $90 or so. Of course that will involve transplanting your LCD, etc.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.