New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Some news about CS6 upgrade pricing for licensees of one of the Adobe CS3 or CS4 suites:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

I'm glad they are backing off the hard line but wish they would be specific and clear about what they are offering. I own CS5 so assume I can upgrade but everytime I read one of these notices it makes me think they want you to upgrade to the suite and not individual products like PS. Anyway looking forward to PS having the new LR sliders as they look like magic.

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

pjbishop wrote:
Some news about CS6 upgrade pricing for licensees of one of the Adobe CS3 or CS4 suites:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

"....and will also have access to regular ongoing updates of Adobe products and services as they become available. This recurring value is a key benefit of Creative Cloud membership that is not available to customers who purchase traditional Creative Suite perpetual licenses."

does this mean zero bug fixes for perpetual licenses between full major versions

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:33 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Skibum,

skibum5 wrote:
"....and will also have access to regular ongoing updates of Adobe products and services as they become available. This recurring value is a key benefit of Creative Cloud membership that is not available to customers who purchase traditional Creative Suite perpetual licenses."

does this mean zero bug fixes for perpetual licenses between full major versions

They're selling the suites updates in two forms - the regular software license and the 'Creative Cloud' membership, which I take to be their subscription (tithing) version. I think the latter is what the language you quoted refers to.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Look more like they are not backing down look more like they are trying to lower the noise level their new update policy is creating. By adding a window for old customers that allows them to take advantage of their old policy during 2012.

I plain on downloading a trial version of CS6 and if the bugs the were introduced in CS4 and CS5 have been fixed I will upgrade. If not I'll upgrade my laptop to an OS that can run the vew version of Lightroom to get Adobe Raw support and revert back to Photoshop CS3 to have a working version. IMO the new features and changes Adobe make to Photoshop have little value and seem to cause impact on ones work-flow because removing features and user interfaces introduces comparability problems which break ones Photoshop environment.

The following is what is on the Adobe Web about their new update polcy

Adobe’s new Creative Suite upgrade policy, which goes into effect in the first half of 2012 when Adobe Creative Cloud™ and Creative Suite 6 are released, will require customers to be on the most current version of Creative Suite in order to qualify for upgrade pricing when new versions are released. This means that customers need to be on CS5 or CS5.5 in order to receive upgrade pricing when CS6 is released.
To ensure customers have the opportunity to evaluate both Creative Cloud and CS6, Adobe will extend an introductory offer to CS3 and CS4 customers for special upgrade pricing on CS6 until December 31, 2012. This will give CS3 and CS4 customers an upgrade path to CS6 or the option of moving to Creative Cloud (which will include all of the CS6 products, creative services, Adobe Touch Apps, and more). Customers who remain on CS2 or earlier will not be eligible for upgrade pricing for CS6 but will be able to move to a Creative Cloud membership.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#upgrade-eligibility

Jan 21, 2012 at 08:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Mr Mouse wrote:
Look more like they are not backing down look more like they are trying to lower the noise level their new update policy is creating. By adding a window for old customers that allows them to take advantage of their old policy during 2012.

I plain on downloading a trial version of CS6 and if the bugs the were introduced in CS4 and CS5 have been fixed I will upgrade. If not I'll upgrade my laptop to an OS that can run the vew version of Lightroom to get Adobe Raw support and revert back to Photoshop CS3 to
...Show more

One thing to note too is that if you go to the cloud subscription and even if you say pay into for 3 years if you ever decide that you just want the non-cloud perpetual license you own it version you need to pay full original list price and get zero discount and this applies even if you originally had the perpetual license and 'upgraded' to cloud and then try to go back.
So you can't decide that a certain program has progressed as far as you need it to and then drop out and still be able to continue using it.

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

skibum5 wrote:
One thing to note too is that if you go to the cloud subscription and even if you say pay into for 3 years if you ever decide that you just want the non-cloud perpetual license you own it version you need to pay full original list price and get zero discount and this applies even if you originally had the perpetual license and 'upgraded' to cloud and then try to go back.
So you can't decide that a certain program has progressed as far as you need it to and then drop out and still be able to continue using
...Show more

Looks like one more good reason not to buy into Adobe's cloud revert back to a good version of Photoshop CS3 and replace Adobe Bridge and ACR with Lightroom. If Lightroom can open a RAW file in Photoshop as a smart object layer like ACR can. Does anyone know if that is possible and if is will Lifgtroom open back up if one double clicks on the smart object layers smart object icon like ACR now does.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Mr Mouse wrote:

I plain on downloading a trial version of CS6 and if the bugs the were introduced in CS4 and CS5 have been fixed I will upgrade. If not I'll upgrade my laptop to an OS that can run the vew version of Lightroom to get Adobe Raw support and revert back to Photoshop CS3 to
...Show more

Somewhat agree Mr. Mouse. Photoshop CS3 works well for what I do. Lightroom 2 is what I am using now. Adobe Camera RAW for my D300 is working fine for me, too. I would upgrade Lightroom if necessary but some of this is like being in a candy store. You don't need everything that is there.

Jan 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Unfortunately I ditched CS3 when I discovered that ACR in CS5 was significantly and visibly better for my D300.

I had stopped using NX2 as well for the same reason. Now due to Nikon's upgrade requirement of 2 key codes (who keeps old version codes?) I am strictly an Adobe customer....

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:36 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

I removed the Nikon programs years ago and I stayed with LR2 and CS3. To go with LR4, I need Windows 7. What a bummer when things are "already working". Maybe I should skip LR and just get the latest Photoshp with Windows 7.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Lightroom can open RAW file in Photoshop as a smart object and the embedded smart object will contain a copy of the RAW data and ACR settings. When you double click on the smart object icon in the layers palette in Photoshop an ACR window will open not a Lightroom window therfore you will need to have a compatable version of Photoshop installed so both programs use the same raw conversion engine ensuring they support the same set af ACR settings. Since LR4 does not support XP if you use XP and want ACR7 you will need to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 and after 2012 you will need to upgrate to every version of Photosho or pay full price for the next verison of Photoshop that is worth it to you.

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:24 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

When I need a PSD to work on, after I have worked the RAW file in LR2, I export the file as a PSD and open it in Photoshop CS3. Any comment?

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

williamkazak wrote:
When I need a PSD to work on, after I have worked the RAW file in LR2, I export the file as a PSD and open it in Photoshop CS3. Any comment?

Poor exposures and exposures of very wide dynamic range of light have a problem with the dynamic range that is captured. For even modern digital sensors do not a dynamic range that can match what is being captured. The best way to process these types of RAW files is to work with several RAW conversions of the raw file to expand the captured image's dynamic range. I find the optimal way to do this is to open the RAW file as a Smart Object layer in Photoshop. One can then dupe the smart object layer using Layers>Smart Object>New Smart Object via Copy. Then adjust the ACR setting in these independent smart object layer to produce different RAW conversions which I then blend together. Yes you need to use the ACR user interface with at least the copied smart object layer but you will be starting with ACR setting made using Lightrooms user interface.

Jan 26, 2012 at 07:12 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Mr Mouse wrote:
Poor exposures and exposures of very wide dynamic range of light have a problem with the dynamic range that is captured. For even modern digital sensors do not a dynamic range that can match what is being captured. The best way to process these types of RAW files is to work with several RAW conversions of the raw file to expand the captured image's dynamic range. I find the optimal way to do this is to open the RAW file as a Smart Object layer in Photoshop. One can then dupe the smart object layer using Layers>Smart Object>New Smart
...Show more

I have never used smart objects. I guess with CS3, I am out of that loop. I have never had the need to do other than lightening, or darkening or adding a little more fill or brightness or highlight recovery in LR. I never use the ACR interface, either. I just import RAW into LR and work it there. Then, I export as JPG.

Jan 27, 2012 at 06:19 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CS6 upgrade pricing news

Smart object have been in Photoshop for quite some time I think though CS3 might have been first release that was able to open a RAW file as a smart object. RAW support was added as an add on to PS7 and has been part of Photoshop ever since: However RAW support has been evolving and conversions made with newer versions of RAW support are not compatible withe older versions. I forget which version of Photoshop smart objects were introduced. The oldest version of Photosjop I have still installed is CS2 it has smart objects but RAW files can not be opened as Smart objects. The drive I have CS3 on crashed and I can not test if the support is in CS3 I quite sure it does.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.