New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

I need some help with upsizing workflow for my D300 files so that I can print larger than 13x19 which is pretty much the native size. Should I upsize before doing any photoshop adjustment work or after all my adjustments? Should i get something like genuine fractals, (cannot remember the new name) or go 10% at a time in photoshop. This is the first time that i have wanted to print larger so any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jan 18, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

When printing from Photoshop, upsampling is not necessary unless the dpi falls under 180 at your output size. If you're under 180, you can try upsampling in Photoshop to 300 using Bicubic or Bicubic Smoother (I prefer Bicubic).

If you're printing from Lightroom the interpolation happens for you in the print module. Jeff Schewe is now recommending setting the dpi box in Lightroom at 360 for anything under 300, and at 720 for anything that's 360 or above.

Jan 18, 2012 at 07:35 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

How large are you trying to print?
Did you shoot RAW?
How well did the image get shot technically?
What is the content? Some images need more work to uprez than others. Many posts here debating output's from 180-360.
Uprez a copy of your post-processed image at the end.
I havent done much myself. Using a Canon 20D and Canon 50D (8, 15 MP) I have had fine output at 12x18 without uprezzing.
I downloaded a free trial of the renamed Genuine Fractals to uprez a 21 MP image for printing 24x30 (essentially 24x36 cropped) and was totally pleased with the result. Genuine Fractals is now Perfect ReSize (onOne software)
Scott

Jan 18, 2012 at 07:37 PM
mendo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

Sbeme

Thanks for the info. i will check out the perfect resize trial. My camera output is 12MP. I want to print at least 17x22, maybe higher, at 300 if possible. I have printed at 180 before but would prefer to go higher. My images are landscape shot in raw and processed in photoshop and with NIK software

Jan 18, 2012 at 07:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

Are you sending the files out for printing or doing it yourself?
What printer?
I agree you will need to uprez unless the landscapes are long-exposure water scenes with little detail. I doubt you will need to uprez to 300 for fine detail viewed at any normal distance (which is probably 2 feet +). More likely 240 will be just fine.

As others have suggested, if you are printing or want to do a test, process your image, uprez, print a full resolution crop to examine sharpening, detail. You might print several 8x10' crops for the uprezzed image, perhaps outputted at 180. 240, 300 and see what you can notice, especially when viewed a couple of feet away. This would work best if you use the same paper for you final prints.

Scott

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:04 PM
mendo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

I am going to print on my Epson 3880

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:29 PM
iweiner

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

I recommend Qimage for your printing activities, keep your post processing with PS or whatever you presently use.
The internal algorithms for sharpening, uprezing, etc are darn good. Get a trial copy and learn more, cost is inexpensive ~$79.

irv weiner

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

Curious to hear how it turns out and what you end up doing, including paper choice, uprez approach, resolution.
I love Exhibition Fiber (on an Epson 3800) for both BW and color.
Scott

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

It always surprises me to hear about issues with upsizing...my old Canon Rebel XTi could upsize in ACR, and I have had prints done quite a few times at 24x36 and been pleased with the results.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:07 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upsizing Files For Printing Workflow

Printing large has to do with your technique in taking the shot, your uprezzing skills, and what looks good to you.

If you've never printed large, try the tool at hand. It sounds like it's Photoshop. Uprezz in ACR, do your PP, uprezz some more in PS using Bicubc if necessary to get your final size. Sharpen to taste along the way (ACR & PS).

Print it and see if that works for you before you go spending any unnecessary money.

I've printed 30 x 45 from my 6mp D70 and was very happy with it. I regularly print 24" on the short side from my D300.

Jan 20, 2012 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.