Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

mjhoward
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

So the subject matter probably isn't the most interesting but I mainly wanted to play around a bit tonight with multiple OCF and experiment a bit with the style of stock photos/catalog type photos with some things I have sitting in the fridge. I'm mainly looking for some feedback about the lighting, WB, and overall look of the photos (good AND bad). I already realize that my white BG isn't exactly white, but for the purpose of these photos I'm ok with that. Thanks very much in advance!

1. Peppers

2. Garlic

3. Brocolli

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:01 AM
mjhoward
• •
p.1 #2 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

Bueller... bueller?? Anyone?

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

No reply overnight and you knock knock? Sometimes posts go days with no reply.

I've never been interested in stock photography and can't really address the images from that perspective. In terms of general criticism, they aren't particularly visually interesting. Over-lighting limits the visual interest. Whether it would assist it's appeal for stock images, I can't say.

Peppers: Odd three part composition two outer zones of white negative space. Narrow space on top and bottom of the subject. Although I'm not interested in stock photography, I suspect such odd compo and narrow top and bottom space would limit the usefulness of the image for stock.

Onions: Separation of subject from background (positive from negative space) is poorly defined in some areas. If someone wanted a stock image to select "onions", conventional selection tools would flounder making the selections in those zones. Again, central placement of the subjects gives it an uninteresting static look.

Brocolli: Same compo problems as the first. Could also benefit from sharpening.

All three would probably benefit from some mid-tone contrast bumps.

Edited on Jan 18, 2012 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

BG, huh ... Purples or Dragons ... then I'll tell you what I think.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:40 PM
mjhoward
• •
p.1 #5 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

@AuntiPode
Sorry, this is only like the second time I've posted in the C&C section so I didn't realize it was that much slower than the rest of the forum. Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't really planning to use these as stock, I was mostly just experimenting with Multiple OCF since it's something I've never done before... in fact, this is nearly the first time I've used OCF period! Any ideas on how to improve composition of something that is intentionally simple like this? Thanks again!

@RustBug
lol, I'm not from Bowling Green so I have no bias.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

Since you are asking essentially about OCF usage, I'd suggest you post over in the lighting & studio forum, where you would likely get the attention of a more targeted group to help you with OCF.

Chuck should be along sometime to en"light"en you with some of his modeling and lighting info, which is good, but there are several others in the L&S forum (Chuck included) that can provide an additionally 'rounded' OCF perspective.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

mjhoward wrote:
@AuntiPode
... Any ideas on how to improve composition of something that is intentionally simple like this? Thanks again!

De-center and recompose. Consider a portrait orientation if you make a vertically organized set-up. If the set-up doesn't lend itself to a full-frame composition crop to a different ratio. For example:

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
mjhoward
• •
p.1 #8 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

Thank you very much AntiPode for taking the time, I appreciate it. I see what you mean about the composition... did you also use a very slight gradient or are my eyes tricking me? If you did, I like it... its subtle but it does add a bit to it. Thanks again.

RustyBug, I'll try posting these on the L&S forum as you suggest. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Produce "Stock" - Would like C&C Please

I did a light vignette and also went over the edges with the burn tool.

Also bumped sharpness and mid-tone contrast as well as building negative space to emulate a less cropped original.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password