New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Looking for a low light solution

Fverburg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a low light solution

I am looking for some advice on the best way to deal with a relatively infrequent need.

A little about myself: I shoot primarily for myself. My preferred subjects are landscapes, with some dabbling in Wildlife and Architecture.

The body I use is the 5D M2
My Flash is a Bower sfd728c
My most used lens is a 24-105 F/4
I only have two primes, a Nifty 50 and a 100mm F/2

Occasionally (3 or 4 times a year) I end up taking pictures at family events with the principle subjects being my niece and nephew. (Ages 4 and 5) No Portraits, just candids’.

A sample environment would be a living room at night, two table lamps on, kids playing next to a Christmas tree.

The lens I use most often at these events is my 24-105. The issue is that at F/4, I need to use a flash more often than not. Now I am not opposed to a flash, but I think that my family sometimes could do with out. I get the occasional furrowed brow.

Also, the flash I have is a Bower SFD728C. It seems to be powerful enough, but the recycle time sometimes keeps me from getting a candid that I want.

I have given a lot of thought to a fast prime. Looking at my photos, 35mm looks about right, but is this really going to allow me to get the shots I want without a flash?

So,

Do I
1) Get a 430EX2 speed lite (supposed to have the great recycle time) and learn to more judicious in the use of the flash to keep from being too annoying?
2) Get a fast prime, say the 35mm F2. (I would use my 100mm f/2 as a benchmark for the IQ I would be happy with).
3) Do nothing (use the 24-105 and Bower) and just learn to be more selective in clicking the shutter release.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Frank

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:10 PM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a low light solution

Have you experimented much with your 50mm? I would think it's an acceptable lens for this purpose. If the IQ doesn't suit you, you can also consider the 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 35/2… I'm personally a fan of available lighting if possible for candids.

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:23 PM
eosuser2020
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a low light solution

Have you experimented much with your 50mm?

+1..F1.8 with 5Ds high ISO capabilities will get you the shots.

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:26 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a low light solution

Get a tripod. I don’t see how fast primes will help you with your landscapes and Architecture. For wildlife use 100/f2 for now until you can afford something longer.

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:50 PM
slee915
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a low light solution

If you are taking candids of kids (>1), unless they both are standing parallel to your camera; one of them will be seriously OOF if you use a fast lens.

I think you probably need f/4-f/5.6 most of the time. My suggestion is set your 5D2 to M, 1/100 and f/4, iso1600+ and bounce flash.

If it is only 1 kid, the above responses with fast primes will work.

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Fverburg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a low light solution

Thanks for the quick responses.

Sounds like "more practice" with what I have is the advice. Makes sense.

I hope I did not confuse the issue or limit your advice with listing only the lens that I use indoors.

My outdoor gear includes a 400 f/5.6 L, 70-200 f/4 L and a 17-40 F/4 L

Frank

Jan 17, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a low light solution

5D2 + 24-105L + flash is great for candids of kids. Don't know about the Bower flash, but the 430exII is a great flash. Just bounce the flash if possible or use as fill outside.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.